Karangi Blind Archers "runnin for cover since 1978"

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

ozlongbow

#31 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:56 am

Buford
Damn glad y'all got your bow - can't wait to hear how it shoots.
L
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

ozlongbow

#32 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:22 am

gilnockie
I am going to beat buford to this - just spoke to him on his mobile - he's out shooting his new bow - what's the recommended brace height? And he draws about 26 1/2 " - the bow's 65lbs @ 28" = what draw weight would it be?
If I hear back from you soon I'll ring him back otherwise he'll be poking back in here and cussing me for beating him to the punch!
L
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Buford

#33 Post by Buford » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:11 am

cletus,

you are indeed a friend. (even though you would probably choose to deny it). or just very bored......

gilnockie,

reaffirming what lindsay has asked, what is the intended brace height for my bow? it's currently at around 8 - 8.5 inches. it might just be me but it seems a little high? there isn't alot of twist in the string so maybe it is suppost to be that way? appreciate it if you could let me know.

also, do you know what the rate of drop for the poundage is for your bows? it's 64lbs at 28in, just trying to get a rough estimate on draw weight at 26.5inches?

cheers
buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

#34 Post by Guest » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:40 pm

Just looking back through the comments here and read your comment "The original purpose of using so many veneers was to avoid the cost setting up a drum sander to grind tapered timber laminates." gilnockie.

My original lamination grinder cost about $10 over and above the gear I already had. I used it for my first 50 - 60 recurves and gained accuracy to + or - 0.001" - 0.002" with it.

I had seen (and drooled over) Jeff’s :? but could not afford to get something like that made, so once again necessity was the mother of invention and my first set up evolved.

I now have a top set up thanks to a mate with a lathe and a welder and skill with them.

Early in the piece I micrometered the pre ground laminations bought here in Aussie and from the states and found the tolerances unacceptable (understatement!). :shock: and began ordering them oversized and re-grinding myself.

My point I guess is don't let grinding your own lams be a barrier, it can be set up relatively simply. The ability also comes in handy for grinding overlays, feature strip timber etc.

Anyone struggling with the lam grinding issue at the moment, sing out and I will try and describe and/or scratch up some visuals.

Mark K.

Buford

#35 Post by Buford » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:47 pm

ok ok
it's gettin the better of me.

at the risk of soundin stoopid (shut up cletus!) what is, and roughly how does, a drum sander/ laminate grinder work?? :?

cheers
buford

gilnockie

#36 Post by gilnockie » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:34 pm

Buford

The brace height should not be that high. Send me your address via email and I will make up a new string of 67" and send it to you Express Post on Monday. Measure the existing string include its length in the email. Don't return the string, keep it as a spare or use it to tie up your tomatoes.

I tend to favour a low brace height with my longbows, about 6 " to 7" from the back of the bow, although some people like at least 8" . Photos of Howard hill shows his bows braced with a shallow curve when the bow is braced but undrawn. In theory a low brace height should give a longer power stroke and displace more energy into the arrow, reducing hand shock. That bow should not have that string for you, partiularly with your draw length.

I do not make up a force draw curve for my bows. A best estimate is that the bow should draw about 59# at 26". If the force draw curve is a straight line it will daw about 2.3# per inch, but the f/d curve will not be a straight line. If it stacks, the draw weight will be about 56# to 58# at 26".
I shot it to test it and while it was too heavy for me to shoot comfortably all afternoon, i was not conscious of it stacking.

If your club has a bow gauge, use it to determine the draw weight at your draw length. In the final analysis the bow will be comfortable for you to shoot or it will not. If it is not comfortable for you to shoot, it is not satisfactory for you.

Read the accompanying notes carefully. If the bow is unsatisfactory, you can return it within 30 days and obtain a refund, provided the bow is not damaged, modified or otherwise marked.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

Buford

#37 Post by Buford » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:35 am

thanks norman,

have sent you an email with the details. :wink:

cheers
Matt

Buford

#38 Post by Buford » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:54 pm

gilnockie,

have actually got around to shootin' my bow now that the madness of school holidays has ended.

the heavier spined arra's are workin a treat. the bow is nice and stable and i have even managed to make it shock free (not that there was much anyway) and very quiet via some custom vibration dampeners.*

thanks again

Buford

*"vibration dampeners" thick rubber bands around the limb tips! :wink:

erron

#39 Post by erron » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:31 pm

Hey Matt, we want photos!

Good to see you back.

:)

Erron

Buford

#40 Post by Buford » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:15 pm

gee i dunno.... i could be onto an idea thats worth a somethin'........ :D

nah, i can't back that up. they're rubber bands for christ's sake! :roll:

will see what i can do. watch this space.........

cheers
Buford

erron

#41 Post by erron » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:55 pm

You're a very strange man... :?

Buford

#42 Post by Buford » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:07 pm

who told?!? :shock:

you can't prove anything!

"You're nuttin but a lotta talk and a badge" (Untouchables)

i'm just giving you more evidance for the positive arn't I?

:|

think i'll shut up now........

Cletus, it's happening again..........
:?

gilnockie

#43 Post by gilnockie » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:24 pm

Buford

I'm glad to hear the new arrows are working well. Keep me posted on how you settle in to shooting the bow.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

Stagmitis

#44 Post by Stagmitis » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:09 am

Glinockie,

Do you glue between each veneer?

Stagmitis
Stagmitis

erron

#45 Post by erron » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Hey, another statesider! Welcome Stagmitis!

:)

Erron

gilnockie

#46 Post by gilnockie » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:46 pm

Stagmitis

Yes I glue up each veneer.

The veneers are minor species timbers grown in Tasmania, the island at the bottom of our continent.

They are 0.6mm thick or about 23 thou of an inch. The veneers are sliced off logs; they are not peeled as with plywood veneer. This slicing provides interesting grain patterns, most of which is lost in my bows because all you see are the edges, except for the layer of veeneer over the glass on the back and the belly.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

Buford

#47 Post by Buford » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:54 pm

Gilnockie,

just thought you would like to know the bow, she shoots supurb! :D am finding the draw weight to be just right. even managed to get a 3DAAA 1st place trophy with it! (even if there was only one other trad shooter at the shoot! and it was a woman! :oops: )

cheers
Matt

gilnockie

#48 Post by gilnockie » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:01 pm

Matt

That's the best news I have had all week. Keep up the good work.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

ozlongbow

#49 Post by ozlongbow » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:34 am

Buford
don't be so modest it was a wonderous victory - considering you shot with me on the second day I was surprised you finished at all.
Cletus
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.