Check Out Gundy's Traditional Kit!

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Check Out Gundy's Traditional Kit!

#1 Post by erron » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:55 am

:o :o

Some photos Gundy (Guy Curtis) sent in. Are these beautiful and inspirational, or what?

Thanks Gundy!

BTW, that is one heck of a nice knife! 8) You make it?

cheers,

Erron
Last edited by erron on Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:24 pm

Guy,

Great shots mate. I think the second one is better. :D The third one is the same as the second is it not?

I really enjoy photos like these. How about a few details on the equipment, makers of the bow and knife, type of shafts etc. The feathers look the real deal, did you grind and cut them yourself or did you buy them full length?

Cause I'm interested in photography and have quite a bit of money tied up in Canon gear; what type of camera, lense etc did you use.

Thanks for sharing. Jeff

erron

#3 Post by erron » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:52 pm

LOL, I think I double posted!

Erron

gundy

#4 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:30 pm

Thanks for the comments people but those shots are crap to me! I was just having a play. I can do better, I think... :wink:

Camera was a digital top of the line Sony @ only 3.1 MPX with 6x zoom and all the bells and whistles, probably old hack now as over 12 mths old. The light inside the house where these were taken was bloody horrible. The Sony takes absolutely faultless shots outdoors and I usually find myself reducing the quality even for photo printing. I have a HP photo printer and with the correct paper, can put a 6x4 print from the camera next to a 6x4 35mm and you can not tell the difference. Full A4 prints on the good photo paper are great too. I would challenge anybody to pick the difference to the real deal when framed. Cartridges kill the bank balance however... :shock:

The bow is an Ausbow (John Clarke) 'Wirrulla' longbow. 60" @ 54 odd pound and awesome in the quick department. Shafts are copperheads. The feathers are real turkey from a real turkey and I split and cut the 4" shield myself. I will admit, I would love to know how to grind them as I have been slowly shaving them down to thickness/width.

Now the knife....I got this from the states. Expensive, but, I beleive that you get what you pay for. Made by Jim Behring (The Treeman). Similar fassion to the Scagel knives of old and very traditional in my book. If any of the local makers would do scagel style knives I would have purchased locally, but nobody did. Holds an edge like you would not beleive too!

Thanks for the comments, I love pics like this also and probably due to the fact that I use to love hunting mags as a kid and purchased them just to look at advertisments for pics like this. They seem to really open up the imagination and why I probably like them.

gundy

#5 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:31 pm

Hey Erron, bottom 2 are the same mate...change the last digit in the file name to a ...3.jpg...

:wink: An error of cut & paste I would assume...

I forgot what I had sent you!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:40 pm

Guy,

You said "They seem to really open up the imagination and why I probably like them".

That is probably what it is mate. Jeff
Last edited by Stickbow Hunter on Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erron

#7 Post by erron » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:41 pm

Doh!

my brain 'aint what it used to be. Does that look better, ah yes, it does :oops:

Guy, I grind my feathers down with a belt sander. If I could get my crappy dig. camera to work, I'd post some shots. Will give it a fly.

cheers,

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:45 pm

Still like number 2. Thanks for giving us the info on the contents of the photo. You did a good job of the feathers Guy. Jeff

Glenn Newell

#9 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:01 pm

Guy nice photos mate, love that knife...Glenn...

Jock

#10 Post by Jock » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:54 pm

"GUNDY"

Think your pictures are great and I know exactly what you mean about Hunting magazines, drooled over the glossy ads probably more than I read the stories when I was a nipper, still do.

Jock.
Johnny B. Good.