Saxon Arrows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Saxon Arrows

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:53 pm

Good Evning Wayne

I checked out "Elgin defending his house" and I also decided that there was not much chance of a Saxon (Northumbrian) telling me the shape was wrong.

So I cut them like a English Medieval fletch but did not cut them to a point rather the leading edge is cut about 1/4" high. Looks more like the "Classic Fletch" shape. Nocks are horn reinforced and will fit the points tomorrow.

The end result. The effect is from the slow shutter speed.
Attachments
Saxon Arrows.
Saxon Arrows.
Img_3704.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

waynerob

#2 Post by waynerob » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Funny how two people can look at the same picture and come up with a different shape... :D I also used the Martyrdom of St Edmund as a secondary check on the shape.

The black is pitch, heads are drilled and riveted on. I had planned to upload the photos tonight as I was still working on the quiver until this afternoon.

Wayne
Attachments
DSC06951a.jpg
DSC06951a.jpg (187.07 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
DSC06958a.jpg
DSC06958a.jpg (192.54 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Al Kidner

#3 Post by Al Kidner » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:33 am

A fine effort there thats for sure. I always like seeing old english arrows like that.

AK.

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:41 am

Good Morning Wayne

Great arrows. Personally, I do not think they look all that different. You appear to have cut yours parrallel to the shaft whereas mine have a downward slope.

I had a look at few other images including a St Edmunds and that one had triangular fletches. :shock:

Why did you decide to put pitch under the flecthing area?

I also seem to go for a deeper nock than you plus I have continued the binding to assist in reinforcing the nock. They have Classic bodkin styled points on them and they will probably be replaced with something else in the future.

Love the points you have fitted but I don't know if my club would be to impressed in seeing them thump into the butt's.

Had a bit of a chat about points on Saturday and we were wondering if socketed or tanged points were used (which they were) and if so in what proportions. Looks like a bit more reading ahead.

I am of the opinion that both sets look great and as you pointed out there is not much chance of getting complaints from any Saxons. :D Next step is to get really keen and make a bunch of them.

p.s. Thanks for the comment Alan, it's appreciated.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

waynerob

#5 Post by waynerob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:36 pm

The pitch comes from the Hedeby arrow, admittedly Viking, but more or less contemporary. It works a couple of ways - as a glue to hole the feather on while binding and as an insect repellant. According to Hugh Soar, tanged heads appear to be the rule on Saxon arrows until the mid 9th century. These are supposed to be Saxon hunting arrows.

Working on some Commonwealth period flight arrows now, horn cross-nocked, goose feathers tied down with silk and evil bodkin heads.

Wayne

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi Wayne

IMHO you do not need to glue the fletches down. I can (and do) bind on fletches with no glue.

I can see the pitch being more use in preventing rot of the binding as it would waterproof it to some extent.

Looks appropriate.
Grahame.

waynerob

#7 Post by waynerob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Just as well, because nothing glues to pitch, the feathers were all held on while binding with persuasion and a not insignificant amount of swearing. :lol: