Damon Howatt

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Damon Howatt

#1 Post by longbow steve » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Does anyone know the history, when did Martin take over the company and when did the Brand cease?
Have you had one and what was your opinion of it?
Steve

robbbo

#2 Post by robbbo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:51 pm

G/day Steve,

I have been shooting a Damon Howittt bow for near on 2 years now,50lb @ 28in a nice bow with a good finish,very impressed with the workmanship and final product,at a rough guess I would say its around 15years old

Robbo
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi Robbbo, I have a Damon Howatt hunter that hasnt seen much use from me or the previous owner but it is one of my prized bows.
I should tune him up and get him out in the bush :) . Steve

Robert

#4 Post by Robert » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Steve
here is a link on Damon Howatt
http://www.martinarchery.com/mag/iadamon.html

ottis

re damon howatt

#5 Post by ottis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:18 pm

i had a hunter fantastic bow put a lot a pigs on the deck and real easy to shoot, also had a ventura another terrific bow and id love to get my hands on an old super diablo cheers ron

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:33 am

Thanks Robert, I new they were made and owned by Martin but did not know the full story, an interesting read.
Ron I will have a search for the Diablo to see what you are attracted to.
Steve

Chase N. Nocks

#7 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:27 am

G'day Steve, I'm probably a bit bias but I reckon that the Damon Howatt bow are some of the best ever made. I have owned a 55# DH Hunter for nearly 30 years now, and although sometimes there has been a year or two between shots, it has remained strung through most of that period and not lost any poundage. It is a fantastic bow to shoot and actually deserved to be shot more than it has.

Recently I purchased a 70# DH Super Diablo from the US in pretty good nick. The price I paid was a little extravegant but that was due to the cost of getting it here. The bow cost me about AUS$600 of which over $200 was for freight. I could have made other choices of bows but I have always wanted a Super D. It is a little heavy for me but it shoots heavy arrows very well and fast.

Excuse the photo, it is a bit blurry, but you will get the gist of the bow shape, which I have always loved.

Cheers
Troy
Attachments
diablo a.JPG
diablo a.JPG (22.1 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 am

Thanks Troy, I now understand the attraction to the Diablo, thanks for the photo it looks beautiful. Is the Diablo considered to be the top of the Howatt line? Steve

Chase N. Nocks

#9 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:49 am

Steve

At the time I believe it was, Its current equivalent is the Dream Catcher which is an almost identical bow as far as I can tell. They have the same AMO but I think the Super D has slightly more working limb due to slightly shorter riser. I am only going off photos so not 100% sure. $1000 (from Abbey) is a little rich for my blood, but I think you would have to go HIGH QUALITY CUSTOM to find better. At 55-60# it would be fantastic.

Cheers mate
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

longbow steve

#10 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:31 am

Any idea of whether they are still marked as Damon Howatt or all Martin these days, Just wondering how old mine is.
The dream catcher looks very nice. Steve