short recurves

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

coolhippy80

short recurves

#1 Post by coolhippy80 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:37 pm

hey all. some of you may have heard about the fate of my last bow... ( fell off the tray of the ute, never saw it again) i was forced to put it in the tray because it wouldnt fit in the car.... well, i have my finances back on track, and want a new bow. this time i want a short recurve bow, hopefully under $400. i am looking for speed and little or no stack, and i want to get in in australia, cause i cant afford high shipping costs.... any ideas?
thanks, Gus.
Keep Tasmania clean. No Pulp Mill!

Jaydo

#2 Post by Jaydo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:27 pm

G'day Gus,

the Samick SHB is a 58" bow, i dunno if thats short enough for you,

its what i was going to buy, but i got the 60" deer master,

http://www.archeryshop.com.au/p/25094/samick-shb.html
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

buzz

#3 Post by buzz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:08 pm

The Samick Equus is quite short, I have a 45# lefty and it is a lovely looking bit of gear with a straight grip, closer to a longbow style than a recurve pistol grip. However I find it pinches me rather badly. You might want to try some short bows, possibly for a couple of dozen shots to see what you find....

coolhippy80

#4 Post by coolhippy80 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:26 am

ok, but the problem is hardly anyone down here owns their own bows, and if they do, they are usually compound... they are a short bow, aren't they? i have one, if i could ude that as a guide..

Jaydo

#5 Post by Jaydo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:57 am

G'day Gus,

I agree with buzz, the Equus would make a good bow, i should have tried that one out when i was trying different bows,

you could also look at the mind 30, thats also a 58 inch bow,

compounds are relatively short axle to axle around 30's and 40 inches, compared to 58 inches nock to nock on a recurve,
the problem is loosing an arrow on a compound is totally different to loosing an arrow on a recurve, thats what ive found anyways, i can use the compound all day and not get string slap, but the second i get lazy on my recurve i get bruises.

your best bet would be to find some way to try some bows out,

have you looked at horse bows or do you specifically want a recurve bow ?

my next bow will be a horsebow i think, :D

Blinkybill

#6 Post by Blinkybill » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:01 am

Hi Gus!
I agree with Jaydo, if you want a short bow then it would be easier getting a horsebow since they are made to be small. If you go with that option then have a look at wildwood's bows. The next bow i get will be from them. Otherwise, theres always the SHB which is an awesome bow although it doesnt have what you would call 'a smooth draw' but it's speed makes up for it. Or there is this bow from molinjor which I've had a couple of shots with and i think its very nice.
http://www.molinjor.com/molinjor/view_product.asp?id=87

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

MaylandL

Short vs Longer Recurves

#7 Post by MaylandL » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:03 am

G'day all

I have a vintage Bear Kodiak Magnum 57# AMO52 and Wing Archery 46# Redwing Hunter AMO52.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... iak+magnum

Just a couple of observations about shorter bows vs longer recurves based on my experiences with shooting longer recurves (AMO62 and AMO69). I've found that the shorter recurves (AMO52) are not as stable in the hand as a longer recurve but they are easier to move around, especially if you are out in the bush. My understanding is that the shorter bows were made for the demands and conditions of hunting. On a target range, the shorter recurves take a little more effort to keep steady.

Bear Archery make a range of AMO52 Kodiak Magnums and AMO48 SuperMags. Some good secondhand bows can be got off ebay as well.

Happy shooting and best of luck in your search. :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

coolhippy80

#8 Post by coolhippy80 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:28 am

thanks to all of you. i have looked at horsebows, but i have heard they are a bit slow for their draw weight becuse of the heavy syahs.. but i have heard about those synthetic ones made in korea or something, that are apparently very light... anyone know what im talking about? if not, i think the samick SHB is the one i need/want . we just bought six or seven acres of bush that we will later build on and move too, so theres some huntin' to be done :wink: so i need a good short bow.

Jaydo

#9 Post by Jaydo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:41 am

G'day Gus,

thats funny, ive heard horsebows are really quick, havent ever shot one myself though so im just going off what ive read, im seriousl considering getting a mongol bow from wildwood,

the SHB is a nice bow,

the samick range is made in korea, maybe your thinking of the SKB ?

MaylandL, those are some beatiful looking bows, i was looking at the new bears the other day with the black laminate on the front, but somehow those older style just look so much better,

jayden

kerrille

#10 Post by kerrille » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:22 pm

ive got a mongol from wild wood 6 weeks ago 58 # at 28 it shot a 525 grain arrow at 150 fts my 53# longbow shoots 168 fps with the same arrow, in close country i still go out with the mongol its great to shoot .I shot a fox at 10 mtrs with a blunt the other week droped him like a rock there is nothin wrong with ther hittin power i have found it good out to 30 mtrs but never hunt over 20 .I just lost my 48 in ben pearson recurve and im thinkin of getting a samick takedown in 62 in i can just fold it up and put it in my pack but like you im asking alot of questions first.
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Coolhippy80

Whenever really short bows have been in common usage, there's always been a very good reason for it. The mongols needed a short bow to shoot from a horse. They also only had access to materials that would make a short bow. More recently there has been a spate of short bows coming from the US. It's important to realise that these short bows were designed for a specific purpose and that's because they're meant to be shot from tree stands which is probably the most common method of deer hunting over there.

When an archer can stand on his own two feet and can move and hunt in a fairly unrestricted way, they have nearly always used a longer bow. They've used a longer bow because they're easier to shoot, they're more accurate, they shoots harder and they're under much less stress as the longer limbs more evenly distribute the potentially destructive forces.

If you have no specific reason for wanting a short bow, then I would advise you to buy something substancially longer, something around 58 inches to 64 inches long in a recurve.

Then again, if you already realise everything that I've said and you want a short bow anyway, then go for it. :wink: :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

coolhippy80

#12 Post by coolhippy80 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:04 pm

mick, the SKB is 58" isn't it?

Jaydo

#13 Post by Jaydo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:08 pm

G'day Gus,

the SKB is a 50" bow, but it draws out to roughly 30"

so i guess stacking wouldnt be much of a problem,

coolhippy80

#14 Post by coolhippy80 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:08 pm

whoops, SHB, sorry :oops:

Jaydo

#15 Post by Jaydo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:09 pm

yeah Gus the SHB is a 58" bow,

whats your draw length roughly, ?

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by greybeard » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi Gus,
One other factor to consider with short bows is if the bow will only be used for hunting or is it to be a general purpose bow.
If you are going to be using it in tournaments and shooting lots of arrows finger pinch may become an issue if you use the Mediterranean release.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

kerrille

#17 Post by kerrille » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:59 pm

to stop finger pinch i cut down some shotgun cartridges and put them in my glove works good
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

buzz

#18 Post by buzz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Gus, are you a left or right hander?

Jaydo

#19 Post by Jaydo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:31 pm

G'day Gus,
if your interested in a horse bow, i think wildwood are having a sale on some of their bows, check the trade blanket,

just a thought,

jaydo

hue

short bows

#20 Post by hue » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:34 pm

hi Hipmeister

have a gander at wildwoods horse bows, i shoot a 58 lb bow and am becoming very competative, they can be very fast. i use alum arrows for target archery and have no complaints. have just finished two days of shooting at the AV state long range championships with Timbow, where we shot over two days something like 312 arrows at max. distance of 60 mt. down to 30 mts. great fun. it's done me well

Hue
I can only be who I am

losty

#21 Post by losty » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:16 am

i think hes implying he wants a short bow so he can fit it in the car next time, is this right gus. In this case, have you thought of takedown recurves? just unbolt and pack them in and youd still get a sweet draw frm it being longer.
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.

Steven J

#22 Post by Steven J » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:42 am

Cool Hippy,

I can only imagine your bow bouncing around like the Chainsaw on the Stihl ad on tv a few years back :shock:

I have found by Toth horsebow to be far from slow. I own a Tartar (42lb) and find it only marginally slower than my 68" longbow (49lb) when shooting the same arrows through the chronograph.

From a bowyers perspective, I would have expected these to be slow bows, but have found mine to be not lightning quick but still a good performer.

At 53" it is a compact bow, however I find the finger pinch something to get used to when I have not shot it for a while. Also it won't draw further than 28.5". Wildwood have other horsebows that are longer and will draw a little further it needed.

Steve

coolhippy80

#23 Post by coolhippy80 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:23 pm

buzz, i am right handed. i draw about 27"
losty, i have never really liked takedowns... no idea why, i just dont... ill checkout these horsebows.
greaybeard, it will be a bit of small game hunting and target archery.

coolhippy80

#24 Post by coolhippy80 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:32 pm

ahhh! the SKB and the SHB confuse me! i keep muddling them up... the skb looks beautiful, has anyone ever used one?

buzz

#25 Post by buzz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:43 pm

OK Gus - if you were a lefty I have a Samick Talon that is very under used.

The SKB is quite short, so a thumb ring is really the go - which introduces all its own problems.

Chase N. Nocks

#26 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:31 am

Gus, the horse bows may be an option. There are many here that love them. I hope to get one in the near future myself. There is another important point you should consider that I don't think has been mentioned yet and that is that Horse bows are generally shot of the hand.

This has both its own feel about it and has problems associated with consistently placing your hand in the same position. Neither of which are insurmountable but should be considered since your last bow had an arrow rest or shelf and a shaped handle that forces the hand into a more consistant position.

Maybe this springs to mind for me more readily as I really do NOT like shooting of my hand. Maybe that is because of the infrequency that I do it. But I took an instant dislike for shooting off my hand so have not bothered to acquire the taste so to speak. You can get a wedge that slips under the leather grip of the bow that the arrow can sit on and that will substantially decrease two of the issues I mentioned.

Like losty said, a take-down is the most obvious solution but like you I never buy something I don't like. Unless my wife tells me that I like it :wink:

The Samik SHB 58inch & Martin Rebel 52inch. Probably fit the bill. Or put a few more dollars in the pot and look at Rivers Edge bows form the states. They do a fantastic Static Tip recurve that is just beautiful to shoot. I think about 54inch. Or buy the Samik to get you shooting and save up for something really beautiful.

Remember, you can never have enough bows unless you want to get really really really good. Than get one good one and shoot it to death. Whatever pushes your buttons.

Cheers mate.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

coolhippy80

#27 Post by coolhippy80 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:56 pm

i went by look yesterday and got the samick SKB, (not the SHB) just because it looked great... ill tell you all how it goes when it arrives, thanks for your help.