Forgewood arrow Pics....

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Al Kidner

Forgewood arrow Pics....

#1 Post by Al Kidner » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 pm

I just finished these Forgewood arrows for Danny Rowen over in Guam. It took me a tad longer than I planned but here they are...

And I sent 'em out in a hard case for care and safty...

Now to finish off the other dozen for him!

A.K

Benny Nganabbarru

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:05 pm

When are you going full-time, Al?

That's real craftsmanship, right there!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is forgewood? How heavy is it? What's the spine-range?

Ben
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Al Kidner

#3 Post by Al Kidner » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:42 pm

Had a go at running arrows full time mate. Too many orders, poor arrow suppliers and Id rather spend my spare time hunting!

I only make 'em for people now that pay me large sums of cash!!! :wink:

I just forget the sine of these, but I think danny is shooting 'em out of a 60-65# curve. I'm sure He'll chime in here...

Oh and there real heavy, over 700 grains. But from all accounts there not made anymore.

A.K

whittler

#4 Post by whittler » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:42 am

Thanks for the pics, you do very good work.

What animal won't want to be shot with those lol.
Alan

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:19 am

Good Morning Alan

They look exquisite. Superbly done.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

TomW

#6 Post by TomW » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:20 am

Beautiful arrows and I love the fletchings. Congratulations. Your customer should be delighted. :D
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:15 pm

I can see you've spent a lot of time and effort on those beautiful arrows Al. They look magnificent indeed. 8) Almost too good to shoot.

I was under the impression that Forgewood arrows were a thing of the past. I can remember them being around in the 1970's, but I haven't seen them advertised anywhere since. I've never actually tried them, but I know they were highly respected by many archers.

It's always nice a look at creative and beautifully finished arrows.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

piggy

#8 Post by piggy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:26 pm

Mate great arrows.

danceswithdingoes

#9 Post by danceswithdingoes » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Beautiful work Al, but could you tell us more about "forgewood" please?
ImageImage

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:57 pm

No doubt Al will correct me if I'm wrong, but by (a fading :) ) memory, Forgewood shafts were basically Port Orford cedar shafts that were compressed in some way that reduced the diameter by about 30% or so. Of course the weight of the shafts increased dramatically, but that made them good hunting shafts that penetrated well and it also made them very strong.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

comanche

#11 Post by comanche » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:18 pm

Again Al, wonderful, Thank you for your artistry.

Originally "forgewoods" were made by Bill Sweetland and were made from POC and were compressed using a method he developed . Basically the wood was cut into a block like a 2x4 and compressed way down under pressure. Then the shafts were cut out of the result. The compression resulted in a heavy shaft that was very dense. The very best arrow shafts ever made, but have not been made since the late 60s or early 70s.

Then a man in Alaska bought all of the original Sweetland equipment in the mid 70s and moved it all to Alaska. He could not find good sources of POC logs so he used Alaskan Hemlock. Using the same process these shafts were the second best arrow shafts ever made. Very heavy and dense. Alas, they also are no longer made, since the mid to late 80s or early 90s.

Sweetlands are almost impossible to find and if you do you will be paying big bucks for them. Alaskans are getting the same way.

I have two sets of original Sweetlands in my stash and with this set of Alaskans that Alan just sent me and the other set he is working on I have about 7 or 8 sets of them. About all I shoot or hunt with anymore.

This set is 70/75 spine and as Al said over 700 gr in weight without points.

Hope I did not boor you with my little history lesson,LOL.

Danny
"It matters not which eye is dominant when shooting instinctivly"

Dr. Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

danceswithdingoes

#12 Post by danceswithdingoes » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:37 pm

thank you Danny, I hope you enjoy those beautiful arrows. :D
ImageImage

Al Kidner

#13 Post by Al Kidner » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:13 pm

We'll need to see some "Hero" pics too when in a quiver out hunting Danny!

Jaydo

#14 Post by Jaydo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:43 am

G'day Al, i liked the look of the arrows you were using in the latest edition of bowhunder down under, what sort of arrows are those ?

the ones here are quite beatiful, i'd be fearful of shooting them in case they got lost or broke :D

jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Al Kidner

#15 Post by Al Kidner » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:22 pm

G'day jayden,

mate those arrows are footed arrows from a mate of mine in Montana. A gift when he stayed over my place last year. So no, I did not make those but have stood up to lots of work.

Jaydo

#16 Post by Jaydo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks for that Al,

you use some beatiful arrows, maybe oneday when i get good at making them ill be able to give it a fair go,

yeah thats hunting for you but at least you didnt feel comfortable with not finding it, many people would have just walked off,

jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Guy Layton

Re: Forgewood arrow Pics....

#17 Post by Guy Layton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:57 am

Hi Al,

I've always liked this feather design and shape... Are you still shooting this design or are you on Banana cut now...?

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!