Article Subjects

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Article Subjects

#1 Post by erron » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:07 pm

I’m assembling articles for the Lore & Legend pages, and am open to suggestions about what to include. Some of the links I am going to put up so far are:

Making Quivers
Making Spine testers
Making arrows shafts - from wood blocks and from shoots, etc.
Making bow strings
Sharpening broadheads
Making selfbows
Making an arrow crester
Making self nocks

Any others? Do you know any pages you’d like linked to, or better, do you have any articles of your own that you’d like to go up?

Cheers,

Erron
:)

gundy

#2 Post by gundy » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:12 pm

Urm, I think you have just about scored it all Erron! Nice job!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:12 pm

G'day Erron,

I think an article on bowhunting ethics and our responsibilities as hunters (for those of us who hunt) woludn't go astray also. Maybe it doesn't go in this section :? Jeff

erron

#4 Post by erron » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:04 pm

Excellent suggestion Jeff, but I think it might warrant a section on its own? It's that important, really. Did you have anyone in mind? :lol:

Is there a Dennis in the house?

:P :P

Erron

gundy

#5 Post by gundy » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:36 pm

Sounds like a good idea too! Not often you read things such as this.

Glenn Newell

#6 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:38 am

I think that an article on Australian bowhunting ethics is a very good idea...Glenn...

erron

#7 Post by erron » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:06 am

Okay, so we have a sort of agreement about the importance of the ethics article, or should that be articles? What do you think about a separate page for articles on ethics generally? Or should we have a separate Campfire for the issue? Or both?

And then, the 64 dollar question: who do we get to step up to the plate for these articles? Are there any in existence we can use?

Sorry to come back at you with even more questions :(

cheers,

Erron

MarkP

#8 Post by MarkP » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:03 pm

erron

I think it is a great idea for the site to be a source of information about all sorts of traditional equipment and its construction - along the lines you have suggested in your list. It would be even better if it was the Australian contributers and users of this site who were encouraged to provide the types of articles you are looking for. This would go some way to the ongoing development and promotion of Australia's own traditional archery and bowhunting culture.

Perhaps a step toward the development of a uniquely Australian electronic version of "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible"?

erron

#9 Post by erron » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:39 pm

Thanks MarkP,

yeah, that's what I want to move towards: articles by Aussies, mostly. But for now, I'm going to put up links to some great articles on mostly, US sites, since we haven't a lot here. Or, at least, we haven't gathered it in one place - yet! :wink:

So for those of you who have the ideas, and/or the material, don't be bashful! The material from overseas is helpful, but there's no substitute for home-grown stories and articles, as the sources and materials, etc. are more likely to be relevant to the home crowd.

Either post a proposal, if you are so inclined, or email me at erron@netspace.net.au and let's do it!

:)

thanks,

Erron