New Laminated Assyrian Bow on Order

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

TomW

New Laminated Assyrian Bow on Order

#1 Post by TomW » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:41 am

Hi All

I've just had the great pleasure of buying a Grozer Laminated Assyrian Bow from Eastern Archery of Finland.

According to the seller, Reiner, he will be posting the bow today.

Many thanks to you MaylandL for posting the web address of this dealer. He was a most pleasant guy to deal with .

The bow is rated at 47# at 28 inches but they can be drawn comfortably to 32". Grozer rates this, along with his Turkish TRH Laminated bow, as being the fastest, smoothest bow in his inventory. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

This is what it looks like:
Attachments
String Bridge
String Bridge
Laminated Assyrian Bow 2.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Bow fully drawn
Bow fully drawn
Laminated Assyrian Bow 3.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Bow fully strung
Bow fully strung
Laminated Assyrian Bow.jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

GrahameA

#2 Post by GrahameA » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:01 am

Tom

Well done. Does this mean I need to timetable more Sunday shoots. :-)
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

TomW

#3 Post by TomW » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:38 am

Hi Grahame

At this stage I'll be delighted if we get the schedule you have proposed, up and running. The bow is just icing on the cake. :D
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

MaylandL

Re: New Laminated Assyrian Bow on Order

#4 Post by MaylandL » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:45 pm

TomW wrote:...I've just had the great pleasure of buying a Grozer Laminated Assyrian Bow from Eastern Archery of Finland.
Many thanks to you MaylandL for posting the web address of this dealer. He was a most pleasant guy to deal with .

Nice looking bow Tom. Looking forward to getting a look at it when you get it. Reiner is a real nice guy to deal with. Let us know how the bow shoots when you get it.

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

TomW

#5 Post by TomW » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:37 pm

I'd be delighted to let you know how it goes, Wing. I can hardly wait. :D

All the best

Tom

TomW

#6 Post by TomW » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:11 pm

My Grozer Laminated Assyrian bow arrived today! Yey!!! Lovely little thing but difficult to brace because of the way it curves forwards unstrung.

It is 47# at 28 inches but can be drawn to 33"!! I'll be trying it out at the range tomorrow. It draws very smoothly with no hint of stacking at all and I anticipate that it going to be fast.

My camera is cactus otherwise I'd show somephotos. I'll see what I can do in the next couple of days.

Eastern Archery of Finland was the supplier and the owner, Reiner, is a very nice guy and very helpful.

Yes! Yes! Yeeesssss!!!!

Regards

Tom

MaylandL

#7 Post by MaylandL » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Congrats!!

Welcome to the Grozer Army :)

All the best with the new bow.

Happy shooting

Anysia

#8 Post by Anysia » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:01 pm

TomW wrote:
Yes! Yes! Yeeesssss!!!!
Would you like a cigg or maybe a quite time alone? :lol: :lol:
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with their experience.
"You're only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely!" .. Ogden Nash

TomW

#9 Post by TomW » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Perhaps a large G & T might help. :D

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:35 pm

Tom's New Bow

And it shoot well as well.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

MaylandL

#11 Post by MaylandL » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:38 pm

G'day Tom

Nice looking bow. How does it feel on the wrist and hand when the string hits the string stops?

Thanks Grahame for posting pic of Tom's Assyrian.

TomW

#12 Post by TomW » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:33 am

Hi Wing

It shoots very nicely indeed. Smooth pull with absolutely no hint of stacking, it can be drawn to a full 33 inches. No hand shock on release, which surprised me as I expected some, because of the string bridges, and very fast arrow speed.

It's only a small bow, 51 " long when strung, BH of 7.5 inches and very light - I would guess its weight to be around 1 lb, not much more.

I'm still trying to figure out where it is best to have the arrow pass on the riser (since it has no shelf). Should I lower my hand down to the riser bottom to try to bring the nocking point closer to the true center of the bow or should I hold the grip centrally and accept whatever the nock height is going to be as a result?

How do you accommodate this problem?

Regards

Tom

Jaydo

#13 Post by Jaydo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:54 am

very nice looking bow there Tomw,

ive been looking at the horse bow styles recently, after hearing all the talk on them from people such as yourself and maylandl

are they difficult to learn to shoot ?
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

TomW

#14 Post by TomW » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:02 am

Jaydo17

No, they aren't all difficult to learn. The ones without string bridges are very much like any recurve bow. The ones with bridgfes can sometimes cause jarring to the bow hand. A Mongol does this yet my little Assyrian doesn't. I don't know why.

They are great fun to shoot though :D

Jaydo

#15 Post by Jaydo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:23 pm

thanks Tom,

yeah it looks like they would be fun to shoot, try it off horseback oneday :D

might keep looking around see if i can get one for a good price.
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

MaylandL

#16 Post by MaylandL » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:24 pm

TomW wrote:...
I'm still trying to figure out where it is best to have the arrow pass on the riser (since it has no shelf). Should I lower my hand down to the riser bottom to try to bring the nocking point closer to the true center of the bow or should I hold the grip centrally and accept whatever the nock height is going to be as a result?

How do you accommodate this problem?
G'day Tom

I tie a nocking point onto the serving using serving thread and then apply some super glue to "lock" the tie on nocking point in place. My hand is closer to the bottom of the riser and hence the nocking point is closer to the centre. I use one of those archery squares that's commonly used to figure out the position of the nocking point.

You want to have your hand in the same place all the time or as consistently as you can for consistency and accuracy and in a position where the arrow will be level to get good trajectory. After a a couple of times shooting the bow, you will get a mark on the riser of the bow from the arrows and that will give you and indicator.

Jaydo

They do take some time getting used to. The grip is a little firmer that holding on to a recurve or longbow as the they tend to jump forward when shot, especially those with string bridges.

Also because they don't have arrow shelf and are shot from the back of the bow hand, you have to have consistent hand placement on the riser.

Other than that, all the basics of archery apply. The main thing is strong archery form and technique as they bows are not generally forgiving of mistakes in form and technique.

I find that they are a lot of fun to shoot and challenging.

TomW

#17 Post by TomW » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:24 pm

MaylandL

Hi Wing

Thanks for that information. It seemed logical to me, especially for a small bow but I needed to be sure and you have the depth of experience with these types of bows to know.

I'll change my set up tomorrow.

Cheers mate

Tom :D