Help me out with Flemish Strings?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Silverfox.

Help me out with Flemish Strings?

#1 Post by Silverfox. » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:42 am

G'day all,

Was just looking for some help in makeing strings. I can make the flemish ones but they seem to have to many twist in the whole length of the body? By the time I twist it a few times to make up for the brace height and tightening of the splice it looks to be to many? Maybe someone out there has a good print out bord construction and or a how too article.

I'm useing FF and B50 for other bows and sometimes DF 97.

Any help would :) be tops

Kind regards Alan 8)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:54 pm

Al,

Just make the strings shorter! :D

Seriously, have a talk with Steve and Ruth as I'm sure they can put you on the right track. I do have a photo copy of a good article on making the strings and jig if ya get stuck.

Hey, maybe it has something to do with the curly limbs on that stack of glued up match sticks of yours. :lol:

Jeff

Silverfox.

#3 Post by Silverfox. » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:51 am

G'day Hoki Salior! :D

Yes mate must be that dodgy, over priced, under used glued up heap of match sticks that is streaching all my good strings! :wink: But I'll take your copy of the string jig and stuff if you want to pass it on that is? I know you old grandpa type blokes............... think you own everything thats in your shed! :lol:

Hey did you get my parcel?

Alan 8)

erron

#4 Post by erron » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:50 am

Hey Silverfox,

Try the articles in Lore & Legend on jig construction and Flemish strings as well. I'll endeavour to get more such links up in the new year, too flat chat at the moment.

:)

Cheers,

Erron

gilnockie

#5 Post by gilnockie » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:00 pm

Hi Silverfox

Try the following link:
http://www2.pcom.net/jthutten/jth/doc/flemish.htm

I have made the compact string jig and it works. I used a piece of scrap Pinus Radiata and a few nails.

The instructions are ok but I have not been able to find a clear explanation of how to twist the second loop successfully. I thought at one time that I had it, but not so.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

Silverfox.

#6 Post by Silverfox. » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:15 am

Thats a good link gilnockie................ the more info the better.