Australian Arrow Woods

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Australian Arrow Woods

#1 Post by erron » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:19 pm

What are the current sources for Australian Arrow Woods?

Does Whitings Warehouse still have the Chundoo? Is Oz Woods still going? Are there any others? What do YOU use?

cheers,

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:18 pm

G'day Erron,

I am currently using Victorian Ash shafts. As the name suggests, they are made from an Australian hardwood. The finished arrow is on the heavy side which IMO is great for hunting. The finished weight of a 28 inch 70 - 75# spined arrow with a 190 grain broadhead is around the 725 grain mark. They are very tough as well.

They are only available in 23/64" and from around the 60# spine upwards to about 80 - 85# spine. The cost is great at only $1.00 a shaft plus postage.

They are available from "VA Hardwood Shafts". Contact Keith Forrester after hours until 9.00 pm on 07 4123 3797. Jeff

Glenn Newell

#3 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:37 am

Another very good Australian timber that I have used is silver quandong, it has a heavy finished weight which is good for hunting, it's easy to work and it's tough. I buy it as stock timber and cut it down, it is easily purchased through timber suppliers who supply furniture timber.

erron

#4 Post by erron » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:47 am

Thanks people! I've heard about the Victorian Ash shafts. They were I think, advertised in Archery Action with a Victorian address, but only wholesale :cry:

Anyone else?

Erron

doug

#5 Post by doug » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:38 pm

Currently I'm shooting Ash shafts. Sure, it's not native. But it's a very common introduced species in my area.

-doug

MIK

#6 Post by MIK » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:23 pm

howdy guys

Glenn where does silver quandong grow and where do you get it from?

the timber yards here in can't get anything Sale, Victoria have never heard of it

also interested in other timbers that people use for making arrows

i have managed to get a couple of peices of cedar to try and make some arrows as well as some nice Blackwood to foot the shafts with as well as some deer antler for a nock footing ... figure if i am going to take the step to making arrows i might as well make it a BIG one

thanks guys
MIK

Glenn Newell

#7 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:40 am

MIk silver quandong is common scrubwood tree in Queensland, give Copperhead archery a ring, he is in Victoria, he sells wholesale but the shafts are quondong, he will tell you where you could buy them. I was in a timber importers last Friday and he had some large blocks of Port Orford Cedar in stock and was priced reasonably.
I have seen some very nice arrow shafts made from from the pine off cut bin at Bunnings, the shafts were of good weight, straight and flew well. I would just try any timber that looks suitable you never know what you will find. I was talking to a bowhunter the other day who made some arrows out of quila and test shot with a variety of other heavy shafts on the market and he found the quila flew the best...Glenn...

MIK

#8 Post by MIK » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:05 pm

thanks glenn

i am using copperhead arrows at the moment ... reasonably priced too

he calls them silver wood therefor i didn't make the conection between the 2

i am getting into the crafting side of the traditional stuff and i appreciate all the help you guys are all offering

thanks
MIK

Griffo

#9 Post by Griffo » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:09 pm

Erron mate,
I think Whitings still have Chundoo...I got some shafts off them a couple of months ago...

Luke :twisted:

Glenn Newell

#10 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:17 pm

No worries Mik and there is a lot to learn, we are only scratching the surface of archery crafting. There has been a lot lost in the past that will never be retrieved, a lot of fun trying though...Glenn...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:30 pm

Mik,

I think one of the best woods for making your own shafts is Oregon. It can be rather heavy, is strong and stays nice and straight. It is good to work with also. Use close grained wood. It is often available from second hand places also. It was used a lot in building and old beds frames were made from it. Jeff

erron

#12 Post by erron » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:37 pm

Thanks Griffo, i'm about ready for a Whitings order!

Jeff, does it go by other names than Oregon?

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:14 pm

Erron,

Some call it Oregon Pine. It is also called Douglas Fir. To my knowledge it is mostly called Oregon in Australia. Jeff

erron

#14 Post by erron » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:21 pm

Thanks Jeff. I've heard of it, but then I've also heard of Douglas Fir. Now I'll know what they mean!

:)

Erron

gilnockie

Australian arrow

#15 Post by gilnockie » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:45 pm

I have used 8mm hardwood dowells. You are not supposed to do this as they can split because the grain is not guaranteed to be straight. However, those I have built are OK. You have to pick over the dowells in the rack and look for those where the grain is as straight as possible. They are heavy and probably Ok for hunting out to 20 metres. Some will fly badly but for fun shooting they are OK.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

erron

#16 Post by erron » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:29 pm

Welcome to Ozbow Gilnockie! hope you enjoy it here!
I have used 8mm hardwood dowells
- are they what they call the Ramin dowells?

Cheers,

Erron

gilnockie

#17 Post by gilnockie » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:31 pm

No. They are what we call in the Apple Isle, Tas Oak. They are probably available in most timber yards or hardware stores like Bunnings (where I bought them). It is plain old fashioned Gum trees.

The difficulty is that the grain of kiln dried select hardwood is often snaky and runs off the dowel. Hence my suggestion that you have to check the grain carefully.

Down here we have a timber which I think would make a good arrow: Celey Top Pine. However it is not available as dowels and you would need to know a wood turner or a cabinet maker with a proper dowelling jig. Alternatively, if you are one of those people who likes to make your own arrows from a plank, it should work. The summer growth ring is white and the winter growth ring is honey coloured. It is a softwood and is fairly flexible. The grain is much finer than POC.

I have lots of scraps of CTP veneer, which is 0.6mm thick and I haave often wondered how they would perform if they were laminated into sticks of about 10mm square. It ought to produce an arrow with consistent spine. But I don't have access to a dowelling attachment for a lathe and I don't have the time to build by own shafts.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.