change

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Gringa Bows

change

#1 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:05 pm

i have just started trying to teach myself to shoot mediteranian and i didnt realise how hard it was going to be i have always shot 3 fingers under but i am trying to improve my scores

Steven J

#2 Post by Steven J » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:51 am

I agree, it is hard to switch between the two styles. I started shooting 3 under as our club shoots mainly indoors, and the three under dropped the elevation at the short ranges.

Why do you think that split fingers will improve your scores?

Steve

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:59 pm

just trying different styles of shooting if i dont improve in a few weeks ill go back to three under and i will know split fingers is not for me

Dennis La Varenne

#4 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:33 pm

LB rod 55,

I am a Mediterranean shooter, but if I were you, I wouldn't have bothered. Neither loose is more conducive to accuracy than the other. On average the Mediterranean hits higher at the shorter ranges and the 3-under hits lower at the longer ranges.

If you are an instinctive shooter, this doesn't matter at all. If you gap or point of aim, it does become a minor issue, but the genius of the human mind allows most people to work out how to cope with the shortcomings of their preference.

Your problem is only the time you allow to relearn to shoot Mediterranean. As Steven J said, it is the changeover which is difficult. Once you are used to the new style you will shoot just as accurately as with the older style given enough practice time.

Anyone can retrain themselve to another style with persistence. Whether or Mediterranean is for you depends entirely upon your persistence. Nobody has an innate tendency to either style. It is only what you have trained yourself to be used to.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:09 pm

thanks guys for your advice i think i will stick to three under i went to the range this arvo shot splitfingers and lost 2 of my last 6 port orfords over the top of the long shots rod

woody

#6 Post by woody » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:07 pm

A year or so back.....when I was a young fellah, lol, and still working things out, it occurred to me that 3 fingers under style would get that arrow much closer to my eye.

This sounded pretty good to someone mainly interested in barebow hunting at shorter ranges.

Regretably, I discovered my nose was to big for this style of archery.

Persistance would have worn the end of my nose away by bow string abrasion, but I hate the sight of blood ( when its mine )

Besides which, second arrows are out of the question when your eyes are watering that much. :D

Three fingers under, yeeah, tried it once...
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:59 am

know exactly what you mean woody hit my beak three or four times since i started using longbow brought tears to my eyes and put me off for a couple of targets maybe thats why m jackson had the nose job done heh rod