Leaving bows strung for extended time

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

matt_d

Leaving bows strung for extended time

#1 Post by matt_d » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:29 pm

G'day folks,

Has anyone ever left a glass backed recurve or longbow permanently strung? If so, what happened?
I've read from a couple of sources, particularly the Black Widow owners manual that it is completely safe and even recommended to leave the bow strung 24/7/365.
I mean it does make sense, especially with recurves - damage is usually done in the stringing/unstring process... I just wondered whether there might be any detrimental affects to the bow over time?
I suppose if it's good enough for compounds though...

Matt

Axe

#2 Post by Axe » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:45 pm

No probs with a curve (although I don't leave 'em strung), I wouldn't recommend it for a l/bow, risk of "string follow" :)
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

Jeffro

#3 Post by Jeffro » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:13 pm

I leave my recurve strung all the time.

bsrecurve

#4 Post by bsrecurve » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:40 pm

in my experience it's no problem to leave any glass backed bow strung for extended periods.

one time to definitely leave them unstrung is if they are being left in a hot car....

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:41 pm

My Chekmate has been strung for months so far ,, the brochure said I could leave it strung as most damage is done while stringing . Its a Recurve .

Glenn Newell

#6 Post by Glenn Newell » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:52 pm

No problems at all leaving a glass bow strung. I have a recurve and a longbow that has been strung for years, never any damage and no loss of poundage. Bows are damaged when stringing and unstringing...Glenn...

erron

#7 Post by erron » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:01 pm

Hmmm, interesting to hear we can have a relaxed attitude to this.

btw Glenn, nice to hear from you,

:) :wink:

Erron

Jeffro

#8 Post by Jeffro » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:45 pm

and not to mention you get to the range or to the hunt and their ready to go :D

Axe

#9 Post by Axe » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:32 am

Bows are damaged when stringing and unstringing
Sometimes and it isn't the only way, after all many do it without any dramas...just like many other things in life accidents occur when instructions aren't followed or enough care isn't taken
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:56 am

Matt

I've been told for many years that you can leave a laminated bow strung for extended periods, but somehow I've never been able to bring myself to leaving a bow strung overnight even. It just doesn't seem right for some reason.

As Axe said, if you string your bow correctly and with care, there's no drama. I've never even looked like damaging a bow while either stringing or unstringing it.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

matt_d

#11 Post by matt_d » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Leaving your bow strung is pretty convenient if safe to do so, maybe not going as far as to leave them like that all year, but definitely over the weekend seems reasonable. I really don't enjoy stringing a short recurve everytime I want to use it.
I'd like to be able to leave my bow strung during a hunting trip for a couple of days, or even sitting next to my back door so I can have a few shots in the backyard everytime I walk past it on the weekend.. 8)

Matt

Doug Bourman

#12 Post by Doug Bourman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:07 pm

i have a checkmate take down one and it has been strung for most of the ten years i have owned it.it still pulls the 56 pounds as when new ,i hang it on the wall by its string between two picture hooks to stop limbs from twisting.

Chase N. Nocks

#13 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Sure, I've got a Black Widow recurve that has be only unstrung to replace the string. Once in about 10 years. Still shoots the same as new.

I used to always unstring my bows until I heard from people I knew and respected, and practiced what they preached. I admit that at first it did not come easy. Now< I don't think twice.

Cheers
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"