greetings to all from a new archer

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

madlarkin

greetings to all from a new archer

#1 Post by madlarkin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:35 pm

greetings to all

i have just purchased a Molinjor Harlequin 52pound at 28in (pictures coming) i will be embarking on my longbow journey on Saturday at my archery club with some of the other fellows.

i currently shoot a "wheelie Bow" for target but i enjoy the idea of just going into the outdoors and shooting like our forefathers did with stick and string.

i also hope to shoot in some of the longbow only events that are held here in WA. i have one question to ask of you all and that is:

Q) What you recommend me to use a finger tab or a glove??

thanks
wayne

Abaci

#2 Post by Abaci » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:28 am

Welcome Wane,

I currently use a finger tab and shoot three under as I find with wooden arrows they're larger than the alloy ones i used and with both a glove and finger tab I pinch the larger arrows off the shelf when I draw.

I guess it depends on what you're used to, with the gloves people tend to pinch arrows a little more than with a finger tab that has a spacer... and some archers also find that the finger tab can curl and not always go straight onto the string (noticed more with speed rounds at tournaments than anything else)...

I'm sure everyone will have their own preference... but I'd recommend that you try both before you decide.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

archangel

#3 Post by archangel » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:54 am

G'day Madlarkin

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will find it informative as a new trad archer. There are quite a few WA archers that have bought Chris' bows and they really are nice performers. I hope to do a photo shoot this weekend of some action with some archers shooting Molinjor longbows. I'm not sure where you shoot but I'll be at Governor Stirling Kalamunda Club on Saturday morning. Send me a PM about how we could connect some time.
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:37 am

gidday madlarkin myself and another member of my club recently bought molingor ultimate longbows around the same draw weight as you he uses a tab 1 finger above 2 below the nock i use a glove 3 fingers under and we shoot around the same lousey scores so i think its just what you get use to a personal choice

madlarkin

#5 Post by madlarkin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:53 pm

thanks guys.

well i once a long time ago shot a wheelie bow with fingers using a tab so i might try that with my harlequin.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:56 pm

Firstly, welcome to the site. I much prefer a glove to a tab but it is personal preference. As has already been suggested, try both and see what you like best.

Jeff

Blinkybill

#7 Post by Blinkybill » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:55 am

Hi Wayne!
Cant wait to see your new bow. i use a glove but thats because i dont do much target shooting and with a glove it means i can leave it on and i dont have to keep taking it off after every target.

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

hillbilly WA

#8 Post by hillbilly WA » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:55 am

Hi Wayne.
I use a glove because;
1. I change between s fingers under and split (i shoot 3 fingers under when i can but you can't shoot three fingers under in tournaments, you have to shoot mediterenean release which is split fingers, drawn back to the corner of your mouth)
2. Its easier to speed shoot, me and my brothers often do things like rolling a tyre thats filled with a target down the paddocks and chase after it and shoot.
3. It's so much easier. You don't have to puch the flaps up to get it on, you don't have to put it in a pocket so you can pull your arrows and IMO they last longer because they don't seem to curl as much.

Hope this helps :)

Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

clinglish

#9 Post by clinglish » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:56 pm

I use a glove when I shoot target because of the numbers of arrows you shoot.I tend to shoot bare fingered when I hunt just for that little extra control.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

archangel

#10 Post by archangel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:02 pm

Had a look at Wayne's Harlequin Molinjor longbow, on show at the club this morning. http://www.molinjor.com/molinjor/view_product.asp?id=88

He is really finding it quite a challenge after his super-quick wheelie bow. Unfortunately I had forgotten to put the camera in the car. :oops: The bow is a most unusual design with horizontal strips of alternating jarrah/rock maple making up the riser, with rock maple and myrtle laminations under Bo-tuff for the limbs. There were at least six or seven people shooting longbows, a delight to see. Some of the older guys had not been shooting for long but obviously really enjoying taking up the longbow. Hopefully I will get some photos next Saturday.
Attachments
Pic from Molinjor website
Pic from Molinjor website
viewimage.jpg (30.11 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

clinglish

#11 Post by clinglish » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:31 am

Which club do you shoot at?
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

madlarkin

#12 Post by madlarkin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:52 pm

i shoot at kalamunda govenor stirling archers.

heres our website
http://www.kgsa.archerywa.com.au/

madlarkin

#13 Post by madlarkin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Carl

i going to shoot with a glove with three under. it seams to stop me pinching the nocks and i seem to be more accurate..

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:41 pm

gidday madlarkin now that you have had your molinjor for a little while what do you think of it.? im just curious as ive got one to but mine is the ultimate 53 at 28in