string length

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

clinglish

string length

#1 Post by clinglish » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:48 pm

I bought a couple of old stlye fibreglass recurve/longbows for my sons but i was wondering how i measure them up for a string?
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

flyne

#2 Post by flyne » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:04 pm

dependindig on poundig i use to just make one out of hay band and keep adjusting it untill i had the desired brace hight
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi Clinglish,
The easiest way is to make up a simple tiller stick. Use an old bow string or cord and draw the bow on the tiller stick and when the bow appears to have the right brace height drop the tiller string into the correct notch. Measure between the string nocks for the string length. You may have to allow for a little string stretch.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Coach

#4 Post by Coach » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Recurve ,, get a dressmakers tape and run it from tip -tip across the belly of the bow . Dont measure all the contours ,, just pull it tight from one tip to the other ,, that should give you a close measurment ,, my grizzly is a 58 " bow ,, when I measured it , it was only 57 3/4 ". String should then be made about 4" shorter :wink:
Longbow , I would assume to be the same ,, string is usually 3" shorter .

LBR

#5 Post by LBR » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:42 pm

Trial and error! lol Easiest way to get a close idea is a string with one loop and tie a bowyer's knot in the other end. To get the AMO bow measurement, use a cloth tape and measure from the top of one string groove, along the edge of the limb (do follow the contours), through the center of the riser, to the top of the other string groove. String length will generally be 3-4" shorter than this measurement, but it can vary with some bows (AMO specs say 3" shorter, but some bowyers don't pay any attention to AMO).

Good luck!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Blinkybill

#6 Post by Blinkybill » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi Clinglish,
I'm not sure if this is right but I heard somewhere that the string is always 4 inches shorter than the bow. Maybe you could try that but I'm not sure.
I think I heard it on youtube while I was watvching a video of someone making a longbow.
Good luck!

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

Glenn Newell

#7 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:45 am

Do as LBR said or make a flemish string 3-4 inches shorter and just twist it up and down until you find brace height. Use a cloth tape and always measure all the contours along the back of the bow from string nock to string nock. Normally the string will be 4 inches shorter...Glenn...

clinglish

#8 Post by clinglish » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:47 pm

thanks all I appreciate the info. :D
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

LBR

#9 Post by LBR » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:02 am

Ben, there is no "always" when it comes to string length (or much of anything else in this sport it seems). I've seen recurve strings vary from 2.5" shorter than the bow length to 6" shorter; longbow strings from 1.5" shorter to 4" shorter.

AMO states 3" shorter, longbow or recurve. The old "rule of thumb" is 3" shorter for longbows, 4" shorter for recurves. Sometimes these work, sometimes not.

Just wanted to clear that up--this is based on several years and several thousand string's worth of experience.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!