Almost New Horsebow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jhoneil

Almost New Horsebow

#1 Post by Jhoneil » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:43 pm

I made this bow a year ago but never finished the decorations. Well, I believe I am finally done with it. It's only 30@32". It's a great bow for practicing thumbring technique. It's fast, quiet, and no handshock. Introducing "Copper Leaf"

Cast in the name of god... ye not guilty

Mischa_26

#2 Post by Mischa_26 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Beautiful bow! I wish I could make something that looked like that!!

Interesting shooting method too, having the arrow resting on your thumb, on the right side of the bow...Might give that a go myself!!
Too speak without thinking, is too shoot without aiming.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Hi Jhoneil,
Thank you for the posting.
The photos are great and their detail shows me how I can improve my construction techniques.

Cheers,

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

archangel

#4 Post by archangel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Jhoneil,

Superb work - great to hear from you again. As Greybeard has stated the pictures give us such excellent closeups of your craft and provide much material to study. Is that copper wire binding the siyahs and limbs? The vertical lamination and shape of your siyahs is very interesting - I have found these are the most difficult part to master and any further advice on their construction would be much appreciated.
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

Anysia

That is fantastic work

#5 Post by Anysia » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:19 pm

As for the 'only 30@32', I do quite well in that weight range. :)

It's a beautiful piece of work/art.
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with their experience.
"You're only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely!" .. Ogden Nash

Coach

#6 Post by Coach » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:34 pm

I know you can draw one of these bows left or right handed .. But ,, arent you drawing that bow on the wrong side ? Or is it just me ?

Anysia

#7 Post by Anysia » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:36 pm

It's personal preferrence.. you can shoot off the back of your thumb, or over the back of the hand.
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with their experience.
"You're only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely!" .. Ogden Nash

Jhoneil

#8 Post by Jhoneil » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:01 am

Coach - when using a thumbring, it is customary to place the arrow on the "wrong side" unless of course you are a Mongol. I have seen those guys use thumbrings and shoot on either side and still hit the target.

Archangel, the binding is hemp. It's tough and light. I varnished it with acrylic gloss medium and dry brushed copper acrylic paint on top and then another coat of acrylic varnish. I finished the entire bow with polyurithane clear coat. I keep experimenting with how to mount siyahs on limbs. This one is sandwiching the limbs - you can see the limb going through the entire siyah.
Cast in the name of god... ye not guilty

Coach

#9 Post by Coach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:22 pm

Cheers Jhoneil ,, you learn something new every day :D