Long Horse Bow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Graeme K

Long Horse Bow

#1 Post by Graeme K » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:08 pm

Decided to try a longer Asiatic bow -- Not sure how to describe its length but the laminations are six foot long, I would have made it longer but that is the full length of the bamboo flooring so I went with that. Also I thought I would try heaps of recurve and reflex, will be interesting to see if I can get it stable enough to draw.

Graeme
Attachments
Core on former.jpg
Core on former.jpg (94.68 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

longbow steve

#2 Post by longbow steve » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:18 pm

WOW, this one is going to be fun :) .
My bamboo flooring is longer than 6 foot???
Glass or rovings Graeme? Steve

Graeme K

#3 Post by Graeme K » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi Steve
Probably Bowtuff on the back and rovings on the belly so I have enough material to tiller -- given I have no idea how it will bend this will give me more chance to get it to shoot and allow me to refine the core dimensions. This is assuming that I can keep a string on it.

What would life be without a challenge

Graeme

P.S Who do you buy your flooring off and how long is it.

Graeme K

#4 Post by Graeme K » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:01 pm

A couple of photos now the core is off the form. The reflex has sprung out a bit off the form but it will be pulled back in when I glass the back with rovings on the form.

Graeme
Attachments
Comparison to fires horse bow.JPG
Comparison to fires horse bow.JPG (43.19 KiB) Viewed 3336 times

Graeme K

#5 Post by Graeme K » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:36 pm

Ok I have now applied rovings to one end of the bow on the belly side. I had to do one end at a time or the rovings would have fallen off the ends due to gravity. --- GKL
Attachments
Rovings one end.JPG
Rovings one end.JPG (57.67 KiB) Viewed 3320 times

archangel

#6 Post by archangel » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:52 pm

Graeme,

Well done so far. This one looks like it could be real stunner! The radical siyahs or recurves (?) will make stringing this bow very interesting. You may need to consider using a pair of tepliks to pre-load each limb, just to get the string on. This picture and link below are from a slide show which shows the process of stringing a fully curved horn bow - pity we can't read Hungarian. I will be following your thread with real interest - good luck. http://www.my-bow.hu/?q=node/184
Attachments
stringing_bow.jpg
stringing_bow.jpg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

Graeme K

#7 Post by Graeme K » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Archangel
I agree -- stringing it will be difficult and I will probably make a jig of some sort to make it easier but I think keeping a string on it may prove to be more difficult than getting it on in the first place. There is a conflict between making these types of bows lowish draw weights and having stiff enough limbs to avoid them rolling over and shedding the string. I think this problem is the reason you do not see many bows with radical recurve and reflex despite the fact that it well known that this achieves high arrow speed.

Graeme

MaylandL

#8 Post by MaylandL » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:30 pm

G'day Graeme

Looking forward to seeing how well it turns out. All the best with it.

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Graeme K

#9 Post by Graeme K » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi Mayland
Pity you are so far away -- I figure it would make my horse bow project a heap easier if I was able to see some of these bows in real life rather than just photos. Still can,t have everything -- Graeme

archangel

#10 Post by archangel » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Graeme wrote:
There is a conflict between making these types of bows lowish draw weights and having stiff enough limbs to avoid them rolling over and shedding the string.
Makes sense Graeme. This is the problem I have with the hornbow I have just finished glueing up. The siyah tips are so forward of the reflex handle that it feels like it may twist off the string. I am contemplating cutting off the siyahs and resplicing them to achieve a drastically reduced angle to the limb. Just as an aside, notice the guy in the photo who is tying the bow to the limb teplik is standing with his face "out of the firing line" ... this is not the sort of picture or demo you would want beginners to watch. I shudder to think what would happen if his burly mate let go that limb by mistake!!
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

Graeme K

#11 Post by Graeme K » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi Archangel
I have found that if the limbs do not have enough torsional strength to resist the string wanting to twist off at brace height then reducing the angle the siyahs will not fix it unless it means that at brace height the string is just lifting off so it has no pressure on the siyahs.

Sometimes if the problem is not bad you can fix it by shortening the siyahs as this reduces the moment caused by the out of line but this is only a minor adjustment.

I have found that the only real fix is to increase the brace height and / or change the siyahs in such a way as to lift the string off at brace height --- this always fixes the problem but it destroys the design advantage of the siyahs by taking away the effect of the bow working like a short bow to start with then like a longer bow at full draw.

Graeme

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:01 pm

Well Graeme, you must be near the next installment? Or is it a suprise for the Wisemans shoot? Steve

Graeme K

#13 Post by Graeme K » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Hi Steve
I have been a bit slack the last couple of weeks.
Had a few other things to get done -- including making the trophies for the Bare Bow Challenge and fitting a new TV in my camper amongst other things.
Also I had to wait for some glass to come from the US --- I thing that is about all the excuses I can think of for now.

So I glued the Bowtuff to the back and tidied it up. I then tried to get it up on my tiller board but it was way too heavy and not torsionally stiff enough to string ( as I had expected ) so I grabbed it in the vice with a couple of shaped blocks and tried bending just one arm which I managed to do with a little difficulty and some help to hold it from twisting -- found that it took about 75 pound to get it back to brace height.

Decided the only plan was to cut off the tips to avoiding the twisting and narrow the limbs which I did from the handle down to a half inch at the tips. This worked quite well and it is now about 60 pound at brace height with a long string so I am going to do the nocks and try it with a short string but I think it will still be too heavy. I do like the design so if it is too heavy I guess I will remove the belly glass and thin down the core to get the weight.

Graeme
Attachments
Unstrung 65 Pound.JPG
Unstrung 65 Pound.JPG (44.24 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Brace height 65 pound.JPG
Brace height 65 pound.JPG (46.25 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Trophies 07.JPG
Trophies 07.JPG (41.35 KiB) Viewed 3155 times

jcm

the Tips

#14 Post by jcm » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Great Tips.
The floating arms disappeared and the bow has a nice curve.
Waiting the next curved viewing
John

evc

#15 Post by evc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:22 pm

the curve in the tips really disappears. i wonder if this is why the solid ears were brought into bow design?

MaylandL

#16 Post by MaylandL » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:02 am

Graeme K wrote:...Pity you are so far away -- I figure it would make my horse bow project a heap easier if I was able to see some of these bows in real life rather than just photos. ...
G'day Graeme
You never know, one day we might catch up on the shooting range.

The bow is looking very good so far.
Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Graeme K

#17 Post by Graeme K » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi All
Last installment.
Measured the full draw weight with the rovings on the belly ( 75#) and did the calc on how much I needed to reduce the thickness to get the weight down to the 40 to 50# range. Removed the belly glass and thinned down the core accurately ( rotten job ) before I glued on a replacement of 40 thou Bowtuff.

Below are the photos of the results --( Ignore the odd uneven shape, I have made no attempt to balance the arms since I replaced the glass.)
I t would seem that I have proved that the bow tuff makes the bow about twice as heavy as the rovings which is a lot more than I would have expected -- my guess was about 20% still you live and learn.
The result is that the bow is still 80# at 28" --- too much bow for me, guess I am just a girl.
The interesting thing is that the bow is 50# at 20" which equates to 4.5 pound per inch of draw starting from a 7" brace height and 80# at 28" draw which is 3.75 pound per inch of draw. So although from the photos it looks like the thing would be stacking like crazy towards the end of the draw in fact the early draw weight is so high that it makes the end of the draw look OK by comparison although I am sure it must be stacking.
I think this must be the perfect example of high early draw weight caused by a massive amount of reflex.
I reckon that this is the end of this one since the I dont have the energy to take it apart again and I figure I have learnt all I can from it.

Graeme
Attachments
Bowtuff 28 inch 80 pound.JPG
Bowtuff 28 inch 80 pound.JPG (46.77 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Bowtuff 20 inch 50 pound.JPG
Bowtuff 20 inch 50 pound.JPG (47.62 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Bowtuff brace.JPG
Bowtuff brace.JPG (46.73 KiB) Viewed 3062 times

archangel

#18 Post by archangel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Wow, 80# at 28" I'm impressed that you had the courage to draw it back that far Graeme! It would certainly make an amazing foot bow useful if you wanted to break a flight record.
I reckon that this is the end of this one since the I dont have the energy to take it apart again and I figure I have learnt all I can from it.
Thanks for sharing the experience, you have surely taken this build as far as you can.

Graeme K

#19 Post by Graeme K » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:13 pm

Hi Archangel
It was a bit scary drawing it but experience has taught me to be cautious and keep my head well away from the tillering board as I draw it down --- had a couple of nasty glancing blows from broken bows on the board.
The really scary thing is trying to string It -- there is so much recurve that it takes a lot more than 50# to get it to brace and the only way I can do it is grab the handle in shaped blocks in the vice and pull one arm forward and prop it there with a stick then pull the other arm around. You keep wondering if it is going to slip out of the vice and try to kill you, and you just know it will be bad because it takes all your strength to pull just one arm around.

Graeme

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by greybeard » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi Graeme,

Thank you for the thread.
You have certainly pushed to the limits the materials used in this project and the beast held together. The information you have gathered will certainly be beneficial in your next projects be they static tip, recurve or longbow.
When you get the bow back to full draw can you let us know if there is much hand shock :lol: :lol: :lol: only joking,

Daryl
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Graeme K

#21 Post by Graeme K » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi Daryl
Although I can not fully draw it I have given it my best try and managed about 25" which is about 70# and surprisingly it has no noticeable hand shock but if you saw how tiny and skinny the limbs are I doubt that you would be all that amazed. The whole bow only weighs 460g ( 17oz) and I reckon two thirds of that is handle and non working limb.

Graeme

longbow steve

#22 Post by longbow steve » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi Graeme, the bow looks great, the inbalance in the limb seems to be less obvious at full draw. It would be great to see what it iis capable of next week, I certainly wont be volunteering to put it through its paces :). Steve