Draw length over 29"

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

wysper

Draw length over 29"

#1 Post by wysper » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi All,

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place.
I am currently shooting compound at a 30" draw lenght.
But I am looking to get a longbow.
I notice most seem to have a maximum draw lenght quoted of 29"

Do I need a special longbow made?
Am I missing something?
Forgive my ignorance, but if you get one saying it is 29", do you just draw further for a 30" draw lenght?

I have had a surf round the site but my searching didn't find the answers.
I hope this isn't a question that has been answered millions of times before!
:oops:

cheers
wysper :P

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:44 pm

Whsper

Are you shooting your compound with your fingers, or are you using a release? If you're drawing 30 inches with your compound when you're shooting it with your fingers, you will also draw around 30 inches when you're shooting a longbow. Bear in mind that most shooters tend to draw a little less when shooting traditional bows, as the holding weight is that much heavier, compared with compounds.

There's no reason why you couldn't draw a longbow out to 30 inches. Luckily, longbows are one of the best bows for longer draw archers, as the longer limbs on a longbow aren't put under as much stress as the shorter limbs on a recurve might be.

If indeed your true draw length is 30 inches, you would be better off buying a full length longbow, something no shorter than 68 inches.

One thing you will need to consider is that the draw weight of all but custom made bows is measured at the standard 28 inch draw length and marked as such. If you buy yourself a longbow, make sure you don't buy one that turns out to be heavier than you thought. For example, if you bought a 50# longbow, it would actually have a draw weight of around 56# at your longer draw length. You add 3# per inch of draw length, as a rough rule.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:06 pm

A few comments:

1, Bows are made for a certain draw length nominally 28". Some suppliers will not warranty a bow drawn beyond it nominated draw length. (I wouldn't). But many will make you a bow that is designed for your longer length.

2, Commercial glass composite bows seem to able to withstand an extraordinary amount of abuse.

3, As you increase the draw the string angles change and you may get finger pinch - get a longer bow.

4, A lot of bows start to show stacking characteristics as they approach their maximum design draw length. Be prepared for it.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

losty

#4 Post by losty » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:33 pm

alot of people find drawing back traditional gear to have a shorter draw length due to the relaxed way of shooting compared to a arched back stance of a compound. Im sure theres exceptions particularly due to some stick shooters preffering straighter stance etc. But ytou may find you no longer have a full 30 inches worth of draw with a stick.
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.

wysper

#5 Post by wysper » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks Guys

Yes I shoot the compound with finger release (glove).

So to sum up so far, I am best to try to get a longbow made for a longer draw length.

I guess that this means the bow will be longer and more expensive.

Thanks for your help!

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:01 pm

wysper

I don't think you need to spend a fortune on a longbow just because you have a longer draw length. Have a look at the Internature 'Viper' longbow. It's a level entry type of longbow, but they offer good value for money. They're nice to shoot as they're slightly deflex/reflex in design. They look good too, I reckon. They're 68 inches long and that's good for someone like yourself with a longer draw length.

I don't know whether or not the manufacturer recommends this bow to be drawn back to 30 inches, but I'm almost certain you would have no problems what so ever.

It can be an advantage to have a longer draw length. For reasons to lengthy to go into here, you will actually achieve better efficency from your bow for any given draw weight. My draw length is 27.5 inches and if we both shot the same model of bow, with the same draw weight at our respective draw lengths, your bow would shoot harder. So it's not all bad news. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

ed

#7 Post by ed » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:05 pm

there are a few of us that shoot longer draw lengths - mine is about 32 inches. I agree that most of the commercial longbows can handle up to 30 relatively easy from what I have seen, but 32 is beyond most of them.

As for form changing the draw length, after some discussion over the past couple of years at the club I think that the main issue should only be the front hand position - heeling a flat grip versus a pistol grip. For the most part the good trad people use a slightly straighter bow arm than the compound people. The ordinary trad people shoot all sorts of attempts at form, their excuse being that it is trad and so it is ok.

Have a good long look at the dvd from Three Rivers called Masters of the Barebow. You will see the real good trad people have very replicatable, consistant form. Some are target archers, but some of the hunters are just the same for consistancy, except they cant the bow.

LBR

#8 Post by LBR » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:03 am

Some shorter longbows will handle 30", some longer ones won't--best bet is to research the particular bow you are interested in, then ask a lot of questions--primarily ask the dealer or manufacturer.

I draw 30.5" on my longbow, and in this particular style the 66" fits me perfectly. I can shoot the 64" and 62" versions, but they don't fit as well and the 62" has a little stack at the end of my draw.

I've shot shorter bows that had no stack, but I got some finger pinch and they were less forgiving.

If you get a custom bow, talk to the bowyer about what length will work best for you, and get it built for your draw length. It shouldn't cost any more than the same bow built for a 28" draw.

'Course these are just my opinions/experiences--yours may vary.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:19 pm

wysper,

Draw length - if you intend to shoot a longbow target style (straight up and down with bow arm straight) your draw length will stay much the same. However, if you wish to shoot in what is considered the more normal method of shooting a longbow, instinctively with the bow canted and a slightly bent arm your draw length will shorten by approx 2 inches.

If you use the latter method then a factory made bow of 28" would be fine IMO. Even if your draw is longer, I also think a longer factory made bow of 68 or 69 inches would still be ok. Just take into account what Mick Smith said about the bow poundage increasing with a longer draw.

Jeff

wysper

#10 Post by wysper » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Thanks for all the great advice!

I will try a few bows and see what works.
Apparently there are some bowyers in NZ but they are harder to find then the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

My bow arm when shooting compound is straight, easier for me to replicate than a bent arm! the angle may change.

If there are any NZ bowyers reading this site, i would love to hear from you!

:)