Some worrying marks on my bow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Some worrying marks on my bow

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:23 pm

I was hoping someone here on Ozbow might be able to tell me something about a couple of marks that have appeared on my Chekmate Attila recurve.

When you run your finger over these marks there's no sensation at all, they're smooth.

About a year back, I can recall some young bloke shooting next to me on the line, he managed to hit my bow twice with his steel field pointed arrow while he had it nocked on his bow. He was waving it around like a flag. I wasn't that concerned at the time because there was no visible damage.

I believe these two marks could be a result of that incident. The marks are very close to where I believe those impacts were.

The marks (for want of a better description) seem to have grown in size somewhat over the coarse of a year. I use this bow quite a bit, as it has been my favorite hunting bow for some time. It has a draw weight of 54#.

Do you think these 'marks' are bad news? Is there anything I can do to fix them that you might know of? What's the likely scenario if I continue to use this bow?

Mick
Attachments
Marks on Attila.JPG
Marks on Attila.JPG (40.05 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

perry

#2 Post by perry » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:21 pm

Those marks look like a bruise or perhaps a stress point on the bows limb .I would say its not likely the boy caused them unless he really belted the bow or perhaps it was dropped - only guessing though . I have seen similar damage to many bows over the years some proved to be impact damage others glue failures some broke others are still gong strong just depends how stressed the area is . Perhaps binding the area tightly with fishing rod binder set in loctite 401 may give security and piece of mind . I reckon keep shooting it - what use is a bow if it cant be shot , if a bow fails think of the bright side , you can get a new one , not that anyone needs an excuse for that . regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Jeffro

#3 Post by Jeffro » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:11 pm

Just a thought Mick ,You know how they advertise these windscreen crack repairs? I wonder if it could be applied to a bow.Apparently it is a kind of resin injected into the cracked area.
I cant really tell from the picture if its a surface thing or a beneath the surface thing but that could possibly make it dissapear.

LBR

#4 Post by LBR » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:21 am

Had a couple of those appear after I dropped my bow--so far, they aren't growing and I've shot it a lot.

Keep an eye on them--wouldn't hurt to inject some glue if you can. If they keep growing, let me know and we'll see what can be done.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:33 am

The damage to the bow could have happened almost anywhere I suppose. It's been on many hard hunts. On one particularly difficult goat hunting trip, it was dragged up and over boulders and around rugged cliff faces. It took quite a pounding for a few days.

I really try to look after my bows, but sometimes things just happen. Yes, my poor Attila has been dropped too.

I'd say the milky coloured marks are where the laminations have come slightly apart, are probably the result of some sort of impact. There's no noticeable air gap between the laminations, so I think it would be difficult to get any adhesive into it.

The marks haven't got any bigger just lately, even after shooting it a fair bit. Hopefully they will just remain an aesthetical problem, rather than a terminal one.

Chad, I know you will stand by your product and thanks for the reassurance. I don't blame any defect on the bow itself, I think it relates more to its misuse in the past. It's still the best little knock around hunting bow that I've owned.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:21 pm

Mick,

IMO if those marks were from impact damage caused by hitting boulders or the like THERE WOULD be damage to the finish in those spots - without doubt!

While you can get impact damage to the glass without damage to the finish it item that caused the impact would have to be very smooth so as not to damage the finish.

If, as you say, you can not feel any tiny lip with your finger nail then I think it is simply a fault in the clear glass. This kind of fault is quite common - very annoying - but common.

If it is the glass it will appear as if the whitish appearance is inside the glass and the side of the glass that meets the lam and not on the surface(outside).

While being unsightly I have seen bows with these marks that are years old and they haven't caused any problems.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:08 pm

Jeff

I'm still of the opinion that these marks were the result of a steel field point striking the edge of the limb. I think the field point slid across the laminations and every so lightly, lifting the clear glass slightly, before slipping off the limb. It might sound very coincidental, but exactly the same thing happened twice within about one minute. I first noticed very small white marks later that day. There is one very faint scratch running across the laminations and ending right in the middle of one of the milky coloured marks, which might add some credence to this possibility.

Your observation of similar marks on bows where their performance hasn't been effected after years of use is comforting at least. :D

Mick

LBR

#8 Post by LBR » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:00 am

That kind of ding won't always leave a mark in the finish--it didn't on mine, even after a hard fall on concrete.

I appreciate the good word Mick--keep a sharp eye on it, and if need be let me know so we can take care of it.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

clinglish

#9 Post by clinglish » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:57 am

Hi Mick I have a mark like that in my longbow from a metal distance marker . it is only in the resin and if it beckoms a real concern I will send it off for a refinish.I don't think that it will cause a problem but I would keep an eye on it all the same.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

MrRecurve

#10 Post by MrRecurve » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:52 am

Mate, those field heads would have had to hit very hard and with prolonged pressure to lift the glass.

It looks to me like the timber veneer (which is ground incredibly thin) has parted under the glass. I have had the same thing on one of my bows.

Even if the field points managed to lift the glass, what does that say about the quality of construction? Surely a mid range hunting bow such as the checkmate can take more punishment than that?

If Chad doesnt seem concerned, then I wouldnt worry. It is purely cosmetic, just adds character!
Walk softly and carry a bent stick............

adam

#11 Post by adam » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Personally I wouldn't worry too much, most of my bows look like that after a few hunts. Just means Im getting good use out of them :D

Adam
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

LBR

#12 Post by LBR » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:26 pm

I couldn't say it isn't a defect in the material, but I can say their bows will hold up to punishment very well. I've been using the same longbow for 8 or 10 years now, for hunting, tournaments, and play. I've been using a Hunter I recurve just for bowfishing for about the same amount of time, but one trip bowfishing can be more punishing than a whole lot of hunting. On top of that, I'm the type that can tear up an anvil with a cotton ball without trying. Both of my bows are scuffed, but shoot as good as they did the day I got them.

The glass and finish are the same as most bowyer's use (Gordon's glass and Fullerplast finish). Not sure on the glue, but I'd imagine it's a common one as well.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!