Yet another bow ...

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Yet another bow ...

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:21 pm

Just bought myself another bow. You can't have too many you know. :wink:

I've been looking for a vintage Ben Pearson Signature takedown recurve for many years. I have bidded on more than a few on US eBay, but I've always just missed out by a dollar or two. The trouble is, most times the auctions finish at weird times, obviously to suit the US buyers. The usually 'go off' when I'm at work and this time was no different. I didn't realise that it was mine until I arrived home this afternoon.

I paid a bit for it, but I have now achieved a longtime ambition. I have dreamed of owning one since I was just a boy. I would see them advertised in 'Bow & Arrow' magazine and say to myself "one day, one day". Now that day has come. 8)

There won't be any shipping problems with this one. It's a two piece, so it falls well below the maximum shipping length acceptable to the USPS. With a bit of luck, I should have it in about a week or so.

It's a 47# bow and it appears to be in immaculate condition. If you want a squiz here's the link to eBay http://cgi.ebay.com.au:80/ws/eBayISAPI. ... IBSA:AU:11 .

Now all I have to worry about it how I'm going to tell the missus. :(

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Coach

#2 Post by Coach » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:46 pm

You really are a bow Junkie arent you Mick :lol:
Is that take-down system factory or a home made job ?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Congrats on finally getting the bow you have wanted for so long. It does look in excellent condition. :D

Jeff

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Coach

I suppose you could say I'm a collector of bows. There's something very appealing about vintage bows in particular. The Ben Pearson Signature was their flagship model. It came from the factory with a unique aluminium "knuckle" takedown system. I like this style of takedown bow as it retains the classic overall shape of one piece recurves. I must say, I've never really liked the look of most 3 piece takedown bows, their risers are usually far too bulky and they're heavy. They also make humming noises when they're shot.

Jeff

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully when it eventually turns up, it's as good as it has been described and looks in the photos. It's obvious that this bow has had little use. The thing that really tells me that this is the case is the condition of the soft case. Most times these cases (All of these bows came with a case) are in various states of disrepair. This one appears to be almost perfect, which indicates that its unlikely that the bow has been refinished at any time.

I plan to shoot the bow from time to time, unlike some collectors who never even string their bows, never mind shooting them. I can't see any point in owning a bow if you never shoot it. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

RecurveRon

#5 Post by RecurveRon » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:53 am

Glad you finaly got your dream bow Mick, hopefully its condition is great. In regards to T/D bows i've got a Bear Custom Kodiak T/D with Freds latch design which i think is brilliant, no tools required, however it has an anoying creek in the joint while drawing back when cold.

hardgainer

#6 Post by hardgainer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:07 pm

Now thats a great looking stick a real classic. No doubt Mick those vintage bows that retain reasonable condition sure have that certain feeling and look.You wish that they could tell their story. I hope it arrives as illustrated it sure looks tidy.

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:49 pm

G'day Ron

Yes mate I'm feeling pretty happy about finally getting this dream bow, the trouble is, I've got a few other "dream bows" on my list too, but they're all one piece models and as such aren't really a viable proposition to buy on US eBay.

Tony

I suppose a lot of the attraction these old bows have for me is the feelings of nostalgia I feel when I look at them. Ahh.... the good old days when mainstream archery magazines were devoid of compounds.

This particular model was always very plain looking, but it does has an understated air of sophistication about it, I reckon. :wink:

Mick

adam

#8 Post by adam » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Nice bow mate
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Jimmy Alexander

#9 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:13 pm

Nice twanger Mick. Glad your happy with it.
Twang

hardgainer

#10 Post by hardgainer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:44 pm

For sure Mick...I love the nostalgia of this great sport especially when all that is misssing on these sighted assemblies is a laser beam. (yep.. I know you can get them).
I nose around the old s/hnd City bookshops for old Archery ref's.
Just picked up a "Tackle Archery this Way" by Howard Wiseman 1959. The big thing was Accles and Polllock good British steel bows with comments by Roy Matthews. Ahhhhhh great stuff.
I have bought a bit on Ebay but only got there by riding the clock to the death knock to head off the hordes. Looks like a good purchase.
Tony S.

LBR

#11 Post by LBR » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:37 am

Very nice Mick! I'm not a collector, but I do like the unusual style bows. I wanted one of those for many years myself, and finally got one a few years ago from a friend. Mine is still in the original box, but doesn't have the carrying case. I've never even strung it--I'm afraid of damaging it due to my draw length (about 32" with a recurve). I also have an old Pounds Supercaster that's set aside--Mr. Pounds lived here in Mississippi, and made a recurve with an built-in overdraw so even broadheads could be shot with a shorter arrow--it's the only one I've seen like it. Got my eye on a take-down longbow with the riser made from an elk antler......might add that one to the mix.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks for the nice comments Jimmy and Adam.

I didn't think I was going to win this one either Tony. The bow sat there for 3 days with my bid on it. It would have only taken one bid, particularly one at the last minute and it would have gone the same way as many others, ie, not to me. Sometimes bidding on eBay can be a strange affair. Every now and then something will sell ridiculously cheap and then soon after the same sort of item sells for twice what its worth. I suppose it just takes two people who are set on a purchase, to push the price through the ceiling. Just hours after I bought this bow, there was another Ben Pearson Signature, a 60 pound one, that sold for about half what I paid for mine. Mine was in better nick though. I reckon I've bid unsuccessfully on at least 6 or 7 Ben Pearson Signatures during the last couple of years, pretty well every one where the seller was prepared to ship overseas.

Hi Chad. You sound a bit like a collector to me mate. :D I haven't got that many bows either. I know one person who lives in this state who owns something like 36 traditional bows. :shock: He likes to shoot them too. Basically, I've got bows that I've bought purely to shoot and I've got others just because I like 'em.

The Pounds Supercaster sounds like an interesting bow. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of it would you?

You simply can't have too many bows. :wink:

Mick

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:51 pm

The Ben Pearson Signature turned up in the mail today. It's a beauty! Bearly a mark on it. It's almost like brand new. 8)

I strung it up and took it into the backyard and nailed the target a few times in a row, which wasn't too bad as there was no nocking point on the string. It shoots very well indeed. 8)

I'm a happy camper. :D

Mick

robbbo

#14 Post by robbbo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:57 pm

Mick,
Glad your new new bow is as good as you hoped it to be.There has been a Damon Howatt bow I have been keeping an eye on 50lb @ 28"and it as it just appealed to me.So I have added it to my small collection.I will post some pics after I tell the missus.
Robbbo :)
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

LBR

#15 Post by LBR » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:31 am

Mick, I'll try to remember to get the Pounds out and take a picture or three this week. I'll have to send them to your e-mail--I have no idea how to post them.

I used to own well over 30 different bows--some wall-hangers, most shooters, but broke that habit. I tend to stick with one or two bows at most, and hated to see the others just sitting. None were big collector items, just a bunch of old bows I'd gathered up. Wish I'd kept a few, but I'm happy with what I have now........although there's a few others I wouldn't mind owning. :wink:

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Mick Smith

#16 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:37 pm

Robbbo

I'm keen to see a few photos of your Damon Howatt. They've always enjoyed an excellent reputation as being good shooters. I might even post a photo or two of my BP Signature, if I get around to actually taking them.

Chad

If you do email me a photo of your Pounds bow, I'll put it on Ozbow so others can have a look too.

I reckon you're on the right track in just using one or two bows, rather than a whole menagerie of bows. It's all about your subconscious remembering the trajectory as well as any left/right adjustments that might be necessary and that's hard enough with one bow, never mind trying to shoot numerous bows accurately. I try to get all my bows shooting pretty well the same, so I can change bows at will, but no matter what you do, your results will never be as good as what they could have been had you stuck with the one bow. It's a whole lotta fun though. :wink:

You're lucky living in the States when it comes to buying vintage bows. I'd be like a kid in a candy shop. :oops: :D

Mick

Jeffro

#17 Post by Jeffro » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Chad have you got any Rocky Mountains bows?
Id like to see a picture if you have.

Mick I've got a BP Signature aswell but its not in real good nick.My sons happy with it though.Looks like you got a nice one there.My one has about 10 cracks in the glass although none has peeled away it looks like it could.I wouldnt pay more than $30 for it
Joe only draws 24" so it is ok for that plus it shoots fine.
I bought it off ebay aswell and it took 3 months to arrive,the guy lied and said he posted it airmail when it went sea.I got charged for air.By that time I had filed a item not recieved and a paypal dispute and he hardly returned any emails.They found it in my favour and gave me the money back and then next day the bow turned up in crappy condition when he had stated good condition.
I though about it and then decided bugger it im not gonna say anything.
Would you have?

Mick Smith

#18 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi Jeffro

You often see a lot of old Ben Pearson Signature bows that are very delapidated. I don't think they're a bow that will take a lot of abuse. I believe the aluminium extensions which the limbs are glued to are the cause of premature splitting of the glass, as they require small diameter cuts into the glass when they're fitted. These small diameter slots in the glass limbs seem to invite splitting after considerable use. You will often see these bows with split risers too.

I suppose they're getting a bit old now-a-days. They were probably sold in the 1970's and that makes them nearly forty years old. I'll just use mine sparingly, so splitting shouldn't be a problem.

It's funny you should mention some problems with shipping. The seller of my bow quoted me a bit over US$40 for airmail postage. I thought even that figure was a bit high. Most bows have only cost me around US$30 to date. Anyway, when I paid for the bow, I included the quoted postage to the price of the bow. The seller then sent me a message saying that the bow actually cost over US$60 to post and that he had actually sent the bow that day and I owed him another US$20 or so. I waited until the bow arrived and sure enough, he had paid US$60.20, plus the packaging was very impressive indeed. It was a heavy cardboard box within another heavy cardboard box. The bow was wrapped in bubble wrap about 6 inches thick. This is why it cost so much to send, the packaging weighed a ton. I was happy enough to make another payment to him for the extra US$20 or so, considering the efforts that he had made to ensure the bow arrived safely.

Mick

Jeffro

#19 Post by Jeffro » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Yes I see what you mean.I find as long as their in bubble wrap and 1 box that theres never any problem.I recently got a bow called an assenheimer take down hunter and it arrived assebled in a long box via usps and this was a 64" bow.The "lady" I bought it off must have known the postal worker or something.
The most expensive postage i've had so far from usa was $45US .not counting the 1 piece bear kodiak I had shipped via ups which was $120.

I wont be using them again