Australian Timbers - selfbows, laminated bows, arrows, etc

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

MarkP

Australian Timbers - selfbows, laminated bows, arrows, etc

#1 Post by MarkP » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:22 pm

Australian Timbers

I am currently in the process of documenting the range of Australian timbers that have been used to make selfbows, laminated bows, arrows and so forth.

If you have used any Australian timbers in conjunction with your archery I would like to hear from you. Additionally, if you know of anyone who has used Australian timbers but wouldn't be a user of this website I would appreciate getting in touch with them if you can help out.

Make a reply post on Ozbow to get the ball rolling, send me a private message on the ozbow site, or email me separately at this address - peam101@ozemail.com.au

For each Australian timber that has been used I will be seeking information concerning; how the timber was used, what are its charateristics, where does it grow, what charateristics make it desirable to use, its workability, and so on. I will also be looking for some digital images to showcase each of the timbers.

I hope to prepare a resource that will be of great interest to bowyers, aspiring bowyers and arrow craftsmen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

MarkP

erron

#2 Post by erron » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:32 am

I could send this out to the Ozbow mailing list, Mark, just let me know.

Great idea, too! :)

Erron

MarkP

#3 Post by MarkP » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:36 pm

Erron,

That would be great if you could do that for me

Thanks
MarkP

erron

#4 Post by erron » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:50 pm

Done deal my friend!

:)

Erron

vegie

#5 Post by vegie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:00 am

G'day Mark,
I got a custom Huntsman recurve off Mark Kimber a few months ago made out of Tasmanian Blackheart Sassafras.
The riser is Blackheart Sassafras with a band of Burdikin plum through it . The limbs are Actionwood with sassafras overlays. Bow is 58 pounds @28 inches.

Bow looks great and shoots beautifully.
I found the timber when I was down in Tassie last November and twisted Marks arm to try it ( did not take too much he is very helpful).
for details on the wood see the Tasmanian timbers website (www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/species/sassafras_02.asp) It has a detailed rundown of the properties of the wood. As for its workability, I think it was ok it is commonly used for wood turning and furniture.
The only draw back is that it can take some work to find timber suitable for making a bow out off but if anyone wants it I have the address of a timber merchant just out of Hobart where you might get some timber from.

Overall it was an experiment with a different Australian timber which has worked beautifully. Up close the sassafras has very detailed patterning which changes through the timber from a pale blond color through to dark brown to black with the whole range in between. When I first saw this timber I though that it woould make a great wood for a bow, it did.

hope this is of some help,
Daryl
Attachments
sassa_full_dig.jpg
sassa_full_dig.jpg (206.17 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
sassa_riser_dig.jpg
sassa_riser_dig.jpg (178.9 KiB) Viewed 4025 times

doug

#6 Post by doug » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:13 am

Hi Mark,

An ongoing project I have been working on is a database of Aussie (and NZ) timbers and their usefulness for bowwood. The focus being selfbows. It's a work in progress, but work and family commitments have slowed progress almost to a halt in the last 6 months :(

The DB deals with known and potential bow woods and I have managed to get a fair bit of data into it so far (66 native and introduced timbers). I've posted a partially complete report of it on the Australian Primitive Archery yahoo group/mailing list in the archives at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aus-primitive-archery/

Given my current progress I would be happy to share ownership of this, effectively merging our two projects (we would both the main "authors"). Naturally, this assumes that my selfbow focus is compatible with your project's aims.

Please feel free to drop me an email to discuss this further.

Regards,
-doug

MarkP

#7 Post by MarkP » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:08 am

Doug,

I had a look at the primitive site and found the email where you posted your preliminary DB - but the email says "attachment not stored". Can you give me some more guidance to find where the report is stored in the archives.

I'd like to have a look then get back in touch.

Thanks
MarkP

MarkP

#8 Post by MarkP » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:10 am

Vegie,

Thanks for the info, images and the link. The wood looks nice on the bow. I'll do a bit of research then get back in touch with yourself and Mark K

Cheers
MarkP

doug

#9 Post by doug » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:18 am

Mark,

I'm guessing that YahooGroups is no longer storing it :( I'll find it and post to you via email.

-doug

erron

#10 Post by erron » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:53 pm

Doug,

long time no speak, good to hear from you!

If you like, I'll gladly put the database info up on Ozbow. Sounds like the sort of thing this site is made for 8)

Vegie,

that is one beautiful bow. And you say it's a real shooter, too, so that's a plus for experimentation with OZ woods, for sure!

Erron

doug

#11 Post by doug » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:48 am

Hey Erron,

Good to hear from ya! This is certainly one of the places I'd like to see the final version(s) of the DB/paper. It will be useless/pointless if it doesn't get out there to those who need it - at the $0.00 cost it's the right price too ;)

Still, I doubt the development of it in it's various raw forms is something that would be appropriate in a public location. Perhaps we will post some "beta versions" of it on here before the end of the year.

Anyone interested in sharing the work and credits feel free to contact me!

-doug

erron

#12 Post by erron » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:30 pm

Perhaps we will post some "beta versions" of it on here before the end of the year.
that would be great Doug, looking forward to it!

Erron

Stump Buster

#13 Post by Stump Buster » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:30 am

I wanted a bit of Australia in the bow I'm having made for my trip down under, so I asked Ric Anderson, of Marriah Bows, if he could order some Australian Mountain Ash, for the accent stripe. He contacted the sources I was able to come up with , and they suggested Australian Spotted Gum for the accent stripe.

So... the Chinook Longbow Ric is currently building for me will be made up of Zebrawood (Riser), Australian Spotted Gum (accent/stripe), Curley Maple (limbs under clear glass), Walnut (limb core wood), and Mastadon Ivory (Limb tip overlays). The grip will be leather wrapped and the shelf will be covered in seal skin. Should make for a Pretty, light colored bow.

When I get the bow, I'll see if a buddy can download some pictures of the Spotted Gum in the riser.

Take Care,

Stump

Vegie...BEAUTIFUL BOW!!!
"In the wind, he's still alive." Fred Bear

erron

#14 Post by erron » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:07 am

Welcome to Ozbow, Stump! :)

Looking forward to those pics!

Erron