Samick hunting recurves - info please

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

buzz

Samick hunting recurves - info please

#1 Post by buzz » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi,
I am after a take down recurve and have been looking through the Samick range. I have pretty well decided on a 62" with contoured/pistol grip. However... what are the actual differences and similarities between the bows? I am primarily interested in having something very accurate and am not overy concerned about asthetics. So speed is important, as well as other issues like the way limbs are attached, and if they are suitable for fast flite, etc.

The Talon looks to be the goods: the prime differences between it and the Hyper Talon, Deer Hunter and Woodsman look to be the woods in the riser and appearance of the limbs - with the plain Talon having black fibreglass and the others having clear bo-tuff like finish over wood. Despite having an ugly grey green finish over the wood, the pic of Kim's bow in the trader section suggest it can scrub up real nicely. Pity I am left handed. The Talon is also centreshot so this is appealing from an accuracy and tuning perspective.

The Talon has the bush for a plunger button. I also believe that production on it might have ceased.

I believe that the limbs on some of the bows are interchangeable. What do people know about this? My plan, as limited as it is, is for a set of 45lb limbs for target type work and a set of 55's for that ever elusive field trip.

Thanks in advance.
Mark
sssshhhh.... they are watching

kimall

Limbs

#2 Post by kimall » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:57 pm

Mate the limbs on the talon and the woodsman are very differant.The talon is a good bow for the money but the woodsman feels a lot like a nice custom bow to shoot.
Cheers KIM

Gshock300

#3 Post by Gshock300 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:34 pm

Ive got a hyper talon at 45lbs and its great to shoot and its pretty quick.
The only thing is limbs for it are pretty rare and samick service has been abit lax lately.
Alot of guys have waited months upon months for limbs and the finish of some bows out of the factory since they moved it to china has had abit to be desired from some accounts.
Mine seems fine but I couldnt tell you if it was made in korea or china.
I do love the bow though!

Hood

#4 Post by Hood » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:50 pm

I have a Samick Mind-30 55#. Have had it for 3yrs now and it's a good entry level bow for the budget minded people out there.
It stacks after 28" though.
Speed wise it's good even with my weighted carbons and heavy woods.

I have also got 'Bowmerang' at the moment which is a Woodsman 50# and is a sweet shooter smooth as a babies behind in the draw and spits the arrows out great with no sign of stacking. And it looks a hell of a lot nicer then teh mind-30
First time I shot it a few weeks ago I was hitting a 600ml coke bottle at 30m with two out of my first 3 shots of it.

They both have all the bushings for arrow rest and quiver, also a bushing in the back of the riser for a stabiliser/bow fishing rig.

IMO it's worth spending the few extra dollars for the Woodsman.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

buzz

#5 Post by buzz » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:12 pm

cheers guys.

hmmm... so I am thinking (a) the Mind30 and Talon have matching limbs, and (b) maybe either the Hyper Talon or Woodsman share limbs with the Deer Hunter.
(A) is based on the prices on the Archery mart site and (B) is based on a discussion I had with a local club member today. He was somewhat unclear on which models they were but he was under the impression that a couple of the higher end had interchanging limbs.

I am not truly a tightar$e, but am trying to better understand the market. The added benefit of not blowing money is always appealing, plus if I were to get stuck into reshaping the grip and mess it up, I'd rather it happened at the "economy" end of the market.

I have also heard that supplies are a little less than consistent now that bows are coming from China. I am under the impression that my Equus is one of the first shipments from the new factory and the fibreglass on the limbs is all cloudy: if it was as good as the work on the grip the bow would look fantastic. This is part of the reason I'd rather make decisions on what I have in my hand rather than off a catalogue.

I've not had problems with stacking (ie a non linear draw weight increase) with either of my Korean bows, but the reason for looking beyond the Equus is that the finger pinch on the 56" bow at 29.5"+ is really quite painful.

Is there any fundamental differences in the limb or the way they fit and align that makes one particular model superior? If they or someone else was to offer a 21" ILF fitting riser I would have already been kitted out by now, however the only company I know who does wood ILF risers has only been doing 16" or so ones to date. The Win&Win Taurus looks interesting though I don't know if it is ILF or the length of the riser.
sssshhhh.... they are watching

Hood

#6 Post by Hood » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:31 pm

Buzz the mind-30 doesn't share limbs, the talon and Hyper talon share limbs, the woodsman is a design of it's own.

The mind-30 has a metal bracket that the limb locats in, the talons use a locating pin as to does the woodsman but the woodsman has a angle cut on the limbs to match the riser.

I'm uploading pics to Photobucket right now so once done will post pics for you to see the differances between the Mind-30 and woodsman.

Either way I'm happy.

buzz

#7 Post by buzz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Mick wrote: I'm uploading pics to Photobucket right now so once done will post pics for you to see the differances between the Mind-30 and woodsman.
Ta.

Hood

#8 Post by Hood » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Here ya go Buzz check it out.

Woodsman on left, Mind-30 well you work it out :lol: :wink:

Woodsman riser

Mind-30 riser. Note I have striped back the original finish and restained and clear coated and added a leather grip. dang it was an ugly colour before. :lol:

Nice timber limbs of the Woodsman, Mind-30 gets black glass

Limb pockets and limbs showing front of limbs.

Showing back of limbs and the differant typs of bolts used. i must say although ugly the limb bolts for the Mind-30 make it really quick and easy to put together or take down out in the bush, no allen key to drop in the dirt.

But I must say also that the woodsman is way better then the Mind-30 in looks and performance.
But as always thats JMO :wink:

Either way I'm happy.

Trad Bound

#9 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Dear Buzz
I've got a Hyper Talon 45# got it earlier this year from Archery Supplies Canberra who are the importers. They had the best price when I was shopping around. Samicks are coming from China and therefore a bit iffy on response. I originally was ordering a SHT but it never arrived so Owen at Archery Supplies offered me a deal seeing I waited so long. I am please that I can get extra limbs if I want. I'm not sure whether my body will cope though. I really like what I've got. I did start of with wooden arrows I'm presently trying out the new black 400 Gamegetters and I really enjoying them. Good luck Tony

aroadik

samick hunting recurves-info please

#10 Post by aroadik » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:03 pm

that samick woodsman is a copy of the sky hawk, a great bow, the sky that is.

buzz

#11 Post by buzz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:08 pm

The Samick Equus is a copy of a Black Widow.

aroadik

Samick hunting recurves-info please

#12 Post by aroadik » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:10 pm

have shot both, samicks, both not a patch on the originals, but hey neither is the price. samicks ,i think make great entry level bows.

Sparra

#13 Post by Sparra » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:41 pm

I know nothing about these bows..My question is...I was driving back from Bungendore and 10k's out of Braidwood there is a big rock that people seem to paint...Low and behold in big black letters is the name
..."BUZZ"...Is this you????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

buzz

#14 Post by buzz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:47 pm

No, no, not me.

Found this for the folk who might be interested. I like how they started metric and made up the imperial equivalent.... unless sevenths and nineths are simply one I am not familiar with.

SAMICK SPORTS BOW BRACE HIGHT
MODEL INCH CM
HAWKEYE 62": 8 2/3~9 4/9 62”: 22~24
WOODSMAN 62": 8 1/2~9 4/9 62”:21.5~24
EQUUS 62": 7 2/7~8 62”: 18.5 ~20.5
MIND-30 Field 58": 7~7 7/8 58”: 18~20
MIND 50 50": 5 1/2 ~ 6 2/7 50”: 14 ~16
SLB 69R Long 69": 6 1/9 ~ 6 8/9 69”: 15.5 ~17.5
SLB 69H Long 69": 6 ~ 6 2/3 69”: 15 ~17
COBRA64” 64": 8 ~ 8 6/7 64”: 20.5 ~22.5
VERNA64” 64": 6 2/7 ~ 7 64”: 16 ~18
SHT 60": 7 2/7 ~ 8 60”: 18.5 ~20.5
SHB 58” 58": 7 7/8 ~ 8 2/3 58”: 20 ~22
TALON 62": 7 ~ 7 7/8 62”: 18 ~20
TALON PLUS 62": 8 1/2 ~ 9 1/4 62”: 21.5 ~23.5
TALON HYPER 62": 8 1/2 ~ 9 1/4 62”: 21.5 ~23.5
SKB 50 50": 5 1/2 ~ 6 2/7 50”: 14 ~16

Interesting, the Talon has a different brace to the Plus and Hyper.

jape

#15 Post by jape » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:34 am

Sparra wrote:there is a big rock that people seem to paint...Low and behold in big black letters is the name
..."BUZZ"... :lol:
someone was a bit stoned?
jape

Abaci

Samick Mind30

#16 Post by Abaci » Tue May 08, 2007 5:10 pm

I have a Samick mind 30, 40#. I'm just a beginner and I'm having fun with this bow, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a traditional mongol bow (haven't decided on Grozer, Kassai, Toth... still researching that).

The only problem I found with the mind 30 is that it does 'stack' (discovered this word the other day) quite a lot, but since I only have a 25 inch draw, it doesn't affect me all that much.

Good luck deciding.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)