spotted gum - prices?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

archangel

spotted gum - prices?

#1 Post by archangel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:15 pm

Some people may recall I ran a student workshop two years ago, where the students made their own bamboo backed longbow. I'm getting plenty of interest to run another one next term, so I'll keep some photos posted of the progress once we get started. Meantime, I am trying to get hold of some spotted gum T&G boards and have been quoted a price of $69 per square metre. Having never tried it beofre, is that reasonable? Any clues on what to look for with grain, heartwood etc?

Hamish

#2 Post by Hamish » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:44 am

You'd be better of getting decking if available. Less waste than t&g on the edges. Both faces are flat with decking, unlike most flooring which has the underside hollowed so it still sits flat if the wood warps.
Iron bark or spotted gum are good. Look for clear pieces, no knots or gum viens, drying checks..
Straighter the grain the better. One with straight grain on all sides is good enough for a self bow. Also ideal with a backing and are less likely to warp, though you can get away with pretty big deviations from straight, with boo.
Heartwood better than boards with sapwood.
Hamish.

archangel

#3 Post by archangel » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Hamish,

Thanks for the advice regarding decking vs T&G boards, grain etc. Spotted gum is pretty rare here in Perth but at least one company has some stock. I'll try next weekend and see what they can come up with.

Mububban

#4 Post by Mububban » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Another option is to look out for auctions. Ross's Auctions in Maylands regularly have auctions of floor coverings, in fact this Saturday the 24th they're having a timber floor covering auction!

http://www.rossauction.com.au/auctions/ ... /24032007t
Summary of Contents:
NEW SOLID TIMBER T&G: Jarrah 80x19 end matched secret nail 20 packs x 27m2 each, NSW Blackbutt 80x12 1x 80m2, 1x 49m2., Marri 85x12mm feature 4 packs x 26m2 each, Tasmanian Oak 133x19 feature 3 packs totalling 245m2, 135x13 Standard 8 packs totalling 285m2, 70x10 Standard andd Better.

CLICK LOCK AND SOLID TOP KNOCK & LOCK FLOATING FLOORING: Maple and Oak click lock floating flooring, 3x strip Heva/Beech/Merbau.

BAMBOO FLOORING PRE FINISHED: Over 3000m2 Premium Compressed wide board 142x12 in coffee and natural, Premium Compressed 96 and 94mm board in coffee and natural, Standard Bamboo 93x15 in High Gloss natural.

I've bought from Ross's before via absentee bidding with no worries (scored a $700 video camera for $280). If I was in the market for a bunch of bamboo floorboards I might be tempted one day. No idea what they go for per pack but it might be worth investigating if you need large amounts for a school project.

perry

#5 Post by perry » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:36 am

I wont pay more than $8.oo a metre for spotted gum decking here in Brisbane . If you are work shopping Bamboo backed bows I don't see it as 100% necessary for straight grain just free of knots sap veins etc . regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi Dave,
Depending on quality I have been paying between $4.00 and $6.00 per lineal metre for spotted gum 86 x 19. The main problem that I have encountered is that new and old growth as well as sap trails run through a lot of the boards. This may not be a big problem for an experienced bowyer but in a workshop situation you need to get the best available even if it costs a little more.
We must remember that the boards are milled for the housing industry.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

jape

#7 Post by jape » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:57 pm

I was talking to my local supplier as I am slowly plucking up courage to start a bow myself, he can't get it for a while as boards but has what he said were spotted gum shovel handles. I looked at one - tight grain and dense but the grain seems to rove in and out, not by much but it shows the 'arrow head' of rising grain halfway along. About 40mm diameter. Only saw one sample though so it might be worth a look around Dave if you can't get boards.
jape

archangel

#8 Post by archangel » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:27 pm

Mub, good thought. However I went down to Ross's last year hoping to pick a bargain in vertical flooring. The lot I wanted was about 1500 boards and the bid went in 30 secs, way out of my league. I am happy to pick up the odd single board, paying no more than $10 each.

Jape, Perry, Greybeard and Hamish ... thanks for your comments. I guess I had heard so many posts praising spotted gum I was pretty keen to get hold of some and will keep chasing. In the meantime, I have been offered some WA karri FREE from our woodwork teacher and looking forward to some free time in the workshop next week!