Four Fletch Anyone?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

memo

Four Fletch Anyone?

#1 Post by memo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Does anyone use four fletches on their arrows? I was reading about the benefits of four fletch in the 60/120 degree configuration. It was saying that it gives the best clearenceon the shelf. I fletched up two arrows and shot them and must say I like it. Having four 5 1/2 bananna feathers might seem overkill, but it straightens up the arrow very quickly and I think i might give it a go for a while.

Any thoughts/experience with four fletch?

Cheers,
Memo.
Attachments
16feb 015.jpg
16feb 015.jpg (71.08 KiB) Viewed 992 times

maskn

#2 Post by maskn » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:30 pm

What sort of range do you get out of them?

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi memo

I reckon the banana profile has a quite low profile anyway, so 4 fletches mightn't be such an overkill at all. My concerns would be, particularly with the 60/120 degree configuration, is that when the arrow has just been released, when the arrow is twisting and contorting in its most extreme faze, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of surface area of fletching on either side of the horizontal. An arrow flexes mostly in a sideways fashion upon release. Most of the surface area of fletching exposed to the flowing airstream is above and below the shaft. If you take an ordinary 3 fletched arrow and compare the profile, from the side view, you will see much more fletching surface area with the 3 fletched arrow. I'm only talking about very small advantages/disadvantages here, but it might make some difference, particularly at very close range or when using arrows that aren't quite correctly spined for the bow. Personally, I'd imagine that a four fletched arrow, with the fletching at 90 degrees would give you the ultimate surface area exposure with any given fletch design.

My only other gripe against using 4 fletches is purely from a economic view point. Feathers are very expensive to buy. It's hard enough on your hip pocket just using 3 feathers.

I've got to say your arrows look pretty "spiffy" though. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Brainbruise

#4 Post by Brainbruise » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:37 pm

I believe the four fletches are used for "combat". In the old days taking your eyes of the action for a split second to nock an arrow could be fatal. With four fletches it did not matter how you nocked it. Speed is paramount. Trim the feathers lower than you would for three, the fourth one makes up the difference,
SHOP SMART, SHOP S-MART, YOU GOT THAT!

Sparra

#5 Post by Sparra » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:09 pm

Unless your after a quick turnover of arrows and not have to worry about nock position I can't see the benifit of four fletches if you trim them down too much...Looking at your pic Memo,the top right hand fletch looks like it may give a few problems wanting to push the arrow away from your bow as it pushes against the riser...

memo

#6 Post by memo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:47 pm

Maskn, I've only shot them in my backyard, so that is only 25m - but they fly beautifully. I don't notice any differrance in trajectory, but they seem to be spinning better as they leave the bow.

Sparra, the top right fletch is usually on the arrow in the standard three fletch. There's that one, the left hand black/white fletch and one goes on the bottom right.

I got the idea from
http://www.arrowsbykelly.com/Other_Tips.html
and it explains the theory in using it, so I thought i'd give it a go.

And like Mick says.....I think they look spiffy too :lol:

Memo