check mates

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeffro

check mates

#1 Post by Jeffro » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:53 pm

Jeffro

That thread is mainly about the delays that Chekmate has recently undergone with their bow orders, due in part to some problems with the moisture content of some timbers and the fact that Marc (the bowyer)was sick for a while. I think they sometimes struggle a bit in the winter. The winter temperatures in Canada in winter would be something we just wouldn't be able to comprehend.

The backorders are obviously starting to come through. My 56 Hunter T/D turned up a couple of weeks back. I know Coach placed an order for a Hunter 2 T/D about 3 months after mine and his is now ready too.

Although my bow took right on 12 months to be finished, it was definitely worth the wait. It's a beautiful bow to shoot (yes, I know I say that about all bows, but this one is the best yet 8) ). I've shot some of my tightest groups ever with this bow. It's just a pity my inconsistency problems are still bugging my accuracy. :? :)

As they said in the thread, Chekmate bows offer great value for money. The delays are just a symptom of the popularity of their bows. Lot's of people want them. 8)

I've still got a second pair of 55# limbs for my 56 Hunter T/D and a 55# Crusader T/D in the Chekmate pipeline. I hope they don't take as long as the last one to be finished.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

pedro

#3 Post by pedro » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:54 pm

i dont what that thread says but the checkmate i ordered for a mate turned up 6 days after the payment went through.. i was impressed on the quality and performance of the bow for such a reasonable price.. top of thw line bow for half the price..id buy one in a second.
the bow was already made.. its riser walnut/cocbolo with a light wood as pinn stripes and the limbs are hickory with cocobolo wedges and over lays. its very good on the eyes.

Tuffcity

#4 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Mick,
Winter isn't all that bad here, mate! :) Actually where the Chek-Mate "factory" (and I use that term veerrryyy loosely) is a nasty day in the dead of winter will be about -5C. They get more rain than snow- simillar to my zone. As the crow flys they're only about 50 or so km's away.

The popularity of CM has really taken off and there is really only one bowyer building with the help of an assistant or two. I think they might be in the throws of moving as well.

He turns out a lot of bows in a year, all things considered.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

LBR

#5 Post by LBR » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:42 am

I figure most folks know how it goes, with any business--you have to bust your hump for years to get a good reputation, but it doesn't take long at all to mar it.

CM just had a string of incidents pile up. One here or there wouldn't have been too much to get past, but they didn't have time to recover from one when another would strike. Being a small shop with one bowyer, they aren't able to stockpile a year's worth of wood, or call on the rest of the employees to work overtime when someone is out sick or to make up for other lost time.

Things happen, but they are doing their best to get back on track with orders, and if nothing bad happens they should be back on schedule soon. Nobody stays in business over 30 years by purposely mistreating customers.

Our thanks to those who have been so very understanding, and hopefully this will never happen again.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:23 pm

Chad

I think everyone understands that things sometimes just go wrong. It doesn't matter how hard you try, gremlins somehow manage to creep into the equation. It happens to me all the time. :D

I don't believe that Chekmate's reputation has been tarnished at all by these slight "hickups". They're still a great bow and they can be bought for a very reasonable price.

I'm really impressed with my new Hunter T/D. It shoots very hard and flat for a 46# bow. It's remarkably smooth to draw and so comfortable to shoot. It's also a very impressive looking bow. It has received many comments of praise. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

gregvisser

#7 Post by gregvisser » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:08 pm

I'm still a huge supporter of Chek Mate bows. I've got a 48# @ 28 CM Hunter 1 T/D. I draw it to 30" and pull around 54#. Shooting a 535 gr 2016, I clocked a 173 fps average.

How can this be bad?

Greg
Bowtech Liberty 2004 70#
DAS Elite 49#
Hoyt GM 43#
Jennings Warf 52#
CM Hunter 1 T/D 54#