feather grinding

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Griffo

feather grinding

#1 Post by Griffo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:38 pm

Hey all,
just wondering what methods folks use to grind/sand down the quills of feahters that you have split and chopped yourself?

Griffo

gundy

#2 Post by gundy » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:57 pm

I tried Errons method, well, from what I can remember him tellimg me of it.

I place the split feather in between a couple of bits of wood and clamp with the quill on the out-side. I then fix the sander up in a vice and slowly work it down to what I think is right. Works well even though my setup is quite barbaric... :D

Dennis La Varenne

#3 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:17 am

Griffo,
A satisfactory hand method which I have used is to cut the vane to length after splitting and trimming, and then clamp it in a straight fletching clamp and gently drag it longways over a piece of medium sandpaper pinned to flat piece of wood.

Alternatively, hold the vane between two pieces of sheet metal at least as long and deep as the vane and then clamp together with a large bulldog clip. THEN, gently drag over the abovementioned sheet of sandpaper.

The medium sandpaper takes off a lot of pith with very little downward pressure on the vane. If the vane starts to catch and drag between the clamps, drag longways and slightly ACROSS the board.

Dennis La Varenne

Tuffcity

#4 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:15 pm

I've used a finger nail file to take down the quill on uneven commercially ground feathers. Not the emory board type but the metal version. It seems to give a nice straight cut due to the rigidity of the file and you can remove a little or a lot depending on pressure. Have never tried to fully grind my own feathers though.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

TRASH

#5 Post by TRASH » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:21 pm

Don't know if you fella's have noticed but it took me a while to work it out but , THEY DO FLY BETTER !!!!!!! if you remove them from the chicken first. :lol: :lol: :lol: :?
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Griffo

#6 Post by Griffo » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:35 pm

But doesn't it depend oh how hard you kick the chicken? :wink: :shock: :D

Griffo

#7 Post by Griffo » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:38 pm

Seriously now,
thanks fellas that'll make a huge difference to the end product and a darn sight easier getting there too.

Griffo

erron

#8 Post by erron » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:03 pm

Nail files? Sandpaper? Blimey, how long does that take?

:shock:

I do a lot at one time, so I've invested in a small grinder for the job.

I'll endeavour to post some pics I just took, tomorrow night, to show how I do it.

Erron

Griffo

#9 Post by Griffo » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:35 pm

Can't wait Erron I'm keen for the lernin :P

Griffo

erron

#10 Post by erron » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:39 pm

Okay, here you go. These scans are fairly poor, but you'll get the idea. I use a Black & Decker workbench, a home-made clamp, and the little grinder with very fine belts. Also note the ear muffs and breathing mask - essential unless you want to inhale clouds of extremely finely powdered quill! :shock:

cheers,

Erron
Attachments
Feathergrind_1.jpg
Feathergrind_1.jpg (20.1 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Feathergrind_2.jpg
Feathergrind_2.jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Feathergrind_3.jpg
Feathergrind_3.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

Griffo

#11 Post by Griffo » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:40 pm

Thanks for taking the time Erron,

12 months working in a clay refining plant and breathing dust @ 80 microns in size (pushed with a broom and it would flow like water, I kid you not!) cured my liking of dust perminantly mate (didn't do much for my lung capacity either :cry: ) , so a mask is no probs.

Question, why dont you clamp the grinder and apply the feathers to it?

Griffo

Glenn Newell

#12 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:45 pm

Good idea Erron, I will give that a go myself. I don't think I have ever seen that Bosch grinder, looks as though it would be handy for bow building as well...Glenn...

erron

#13 Post by erron » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:59 am

Luke and Glenn, sorry to take so long getting back to you on this, my pc doesn’t always correctly notify me of unread posts so these last 2 got by me. :evil:

Luke, yes, that would work I suppose, but I’d rather have my controlling hands on the grinder, than be pushing down towards it when it’s in a fixed position and with the GO button stuck on, if you know what I mean!

Glenn, I’ve wondered if it would be good on bows. It’s light and easy to handle, that’s for sure. It’s apparently designed for doing the edges of floors next to walls and such work. Costs about $90, BTW.

Cheers,

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:38 am

Griffo,

I know this is an old thread but I saw this link mentioned on Stickbow and thought you might be interested.
http://magicrown.tripod.com/grinder.html

It looks like it does the job just great.

Jeff

erron

#15 Post by erron » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:32 am

That is one professional looking setup, hey? :shock:

thanks Jeff,

Erron