Judo Points

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Brumbies Country

Judo Points

#1 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:42 pm

They are something I've known about but not used alot and my attention was drawn to judo points again by reference on this forum re rabbits not long ago. I've recently gone out a couple of evenings with them shooting at what phalaris stalks are left, dried horse poo ( found by hard experience-excuse the pun, that dry is better), tussock, little earth mounds and whatever else turns up. Haven't seen a rabbit but had a lot of fun and they'd have to be good for instinctive shooting skills. While you are doing it you see alot of interest re the countryside, nature etc, even in drought.

Just wondered if people here use them a fair bit.

little arrows

#2 Post by little arrows » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:02 pm

yep we shoot them at little chip packets - the packets go "boom" and make a mess, but gee we have some fun.....
sue

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:36 pm

I like to use them in the backyard. I throw out a rubber ball so it lands about 15 yards away, then I shoot at it with Judos. The ball is about 5 inches in diameter and a good hit will sent it flying for about 20 yards, then I'll shoot again and again until it ends up under some bushes or right next to the fence, before I have to throw it out into the open again. I sometimes try to hit it the ball when it's moving as well. It's good practice.

I also like to take a Judo arrow when I'm out hunting, so I can loosen up by shooting at a lump of cow dung, a scotch thistle, or whatever. :)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:46 pm

In the past I used them a lot for practice and always carried one while hunting. They are great for shooting at clumps of grass etc as has been mentioned.

In recent years I have been using heavy shafts and heavy points in the 190 grain range. The Judo's don't come that heavy so I haven't been using them as much.

Jeff

bsrecurve

#5 Post by bsrecurve » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:55 pm

there are few things i find more enjoyable or relaxing than roaming around the countryside stumpshooting with judo's. although their killing power on small game has sometimes come under question, they are still a great head.

jeff - i came up with an idea for your problem.

how about binding copper wire around the shank of the judo, behind the spring arms. you could keep it there by covering it with epoxy. that way you can up the weight to what you want, and it wont get ripped off, since its protected by the front of the head and the arms.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:21 pm

Thanks for the copper wire idea mate. I will have to try something but I just haven't shot enough of late.

Jeff

Brumbies Country

#7 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:29 am

There some good ideas here. Must admit to liking Micks idea of a rubber ball and changing distances as you hit it.

Jeff, I know you hunt some big game. Just wondered what poundage you are shooting these days?

LBR

#8 Post by LBR » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:29 am

They are fun, and hard to loose, but my experience on small game has been pretty lousy.

An alternative is the Ace Hex-Head blunt. Not quite as "un-looseable", but the concave point with edges catches on more things than a regular blunt or field point, and from what I've seen they do a LOT more damage to critters than judos or regular blunts--cheaper and tougher than judo's too.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

oliver

#9 Post by oliver » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:16 pm

Hey fellas.

I love Judos. I've done pretty much the same thing as mick with them but with a milk carton (though I think I used a tennis ball once) With my compound I find them to be effective on rabbits. The first Judo-bunny collision broke the bunnies neck and my second bunny the shot was a bit low but it went through the rib cage on one side and ended up half an arrow out each side of the bunny. I then shot a bunny in the same spot (low through rib cage) with a bhead and it went straight through and the bunny got away. In my case the Judo's not getting a pass through is a good thing.

Stump shooting with my compound is no good as it just breaks the arrow but I shoot tussock from time to time and that's fun.

Regards.

Oliver.
"Archery may not be the sport of kings. But it is definitely the KING OF SPORTS."-Howard Hill

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:38 pm

Chad,

I believe the Ace Hex-Heads are good for small game but haven't tried them. I mainly just use Judo's for practice.

Simon,

I shoot around the 60# mark these days and use arras in the 700 - 750 grain range. Earlier in the year I built up to a 70# longbow for my hunt in the NT and used arrows that were around the 850 - 875 grains.

Jeff

Tuffcity

#11 Post by Tuffcity » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:00 pm

I use a .357 casing and glue fishing split-shot weights inside to up the head weight. The case fits nicely on a 23/64th's shaft.

I don't do a lot of small game hunting, but for just general "stump" shooting they work great and are super cheap to make.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

perry

#12 Post by perry » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:12 pm

Never fail to carry a Judo with me when hunting, great fun shooting prickly pear and those all to common burnt stump pigs.Dont like them on small game unless shooting above 70# trad bow. Combine a judo with a tough arrow wood like ramin or oregan and a aussie hardwood footing and you'll struggle to lose or break that arrow.
Regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin