tanning kits?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

duane01

tanning kits?

#1 Post by duane01 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:41 pm

hey all, hello my name is Duane and i live in liverpool area of sydney. yes i am a newbie to this forum, but so far have found lots of useful stuff here. i am just getting back into bow hunting, got a hoyt lazertec 70lb with all the gizmo's. just got my R licence the other day and now am ready to bag me some ferals. i am using teken heads on new carbon arrows aswel as some older style broad heads on ally shafts. any how enough of that , what do you guys reccomend for keeping the skins. i know salt works, and yes, you can buy tanning kits, but do you guys use anything else. simply for ease and being lite enuf to carry.
i carry all my kit in my old army webbing and ammo pouchs.ie first aid, noco's, epirb, maps, etc etc. so i dont want to carry any more than i have to.
some of the things you all carry has made my kit even smaller than it used to be and now i feel very comfy knowing that i have almost everything covered.
cheers D..
i shot an arrow in the air
i wonder whos' got it now??????????

perry

#2 Post by perry » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:53 am

Duane if I understand your post you are looking at tanning a hide in the field . If you within sevaral hours walk of camp or your vehicle you will have no drama's with the hide spoiling or with hair slippage . If you apply liberal quanity's of a fine grained salt which soaks up the fluids from the hide and change the salt a couple of times in the first 2 weeks the hide will keep for a very long time. Theres always the freezer too
Tanning a hide for leather is not practical in the field , properly preparing the hide , several days in the tanning solution and then breaking and oiling the hide can take up to a week .
The commercial products are excellant . I have no experience with any oldtimers preparations because Im basically lazy , theres lots of info on these on the web and in books if you care to research
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin