Buffalo horn nocks

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard

Buffalo horn nocks

#1 Post by Richard » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:20 am

I am trying to find some buffalo horn which I can use to finish off a d section selfbow. The only places I can find it online are in the USA. Is trade/selling buffalo horn banned in Australia?, if not does anyone know where I could get hold of some?

Mububban

#2 Post by Mububban » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:53 am

Do you want to use the horn for nocks for the bow tips?

eBay is your friend. If you just want the horn ends to then carve into shape, try eBay, I've found horns before, then you just cut the parts you want.

Or this UK online store sells horn nocks for longbows, scroll about 45% down the page or o an on-page Find for "BLACK BUFFALO HORN TIP ":

http://www.english-longbow.co.uk/cat20. ... smaterials

They also sell horn slips/wafers/slices for making self-nock reinforcements.

Or if it's for something else entirely, ignore everything I jut said :)

Richard

#3 Post by Richard » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:38 am

The horn is bow for bow tips. I know I can get them from UK and US sites, but as I could'nt find anything in Australia I was wondering if they were banned for some reason here.
I looked on the customs site to see if there was any bar to importing some, but there does'nt seem to be any.
So it looks like I'll be digging out the credit card and heading to ebay.
Now while I'm there I'm sure I can find something else that I need...... :P
I was going to take a few photo's and post a buildalong on the site, but I never quite managed to put the tools down and pick the camera up.

MaylandL

#4 Post by MaylandL » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:56 pm

I've imported horn blocks from the US via eBay on 2 occassions and didnt have any problems with Aust Customs.

Best of luck with the horn...

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

perry

#5 Post by perry » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:52 pm

I have used buffalo horn for tip overlays ,deer antler,cow horn and goat horn for bow nocks . Cow horn and goat horn does grow black as well , I assume thats why you want the Buff horn. Otherwise you will find all horn is the same material -keratan
Try flea markets, ebay, local classifieds the abbattoir even the local bowhunting club , some one will trade suitable horn Im sure
regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Mububban

#6 Post by Mububban » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 pm

I too have bought horn from the UK and USA with no problems from Customs. They did open both packages, then resealed them with a yellow sticker saying "Quarantine Inspected" or something like that.

Richard

#7 Post by Richard » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:42 am

Thanks for the help guys, I have found a few places to get hold of some horn now that I know I can get it into the country.