glueing laminates

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Running Bear Eagle Eye

glueing laminates

#1 Post by Running Bear Eagle Eye » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:09 pm

G'day
I was wondering if any of you have used aroldite to glue on bamboo laminates i tried but found that it still peeled of when i tried to tiller the bow. Could you give me tips on fixing laminations to the bow as i also tried PVA and it also failed and some other type of wood glue which also failed.

Thanks

archangel

#2 Post by archangel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:27 pm

Running Bear

Araldite and PVA are definitely not the shot when it comes to glueing bamboo. You need to look for Urac 185 or Smooth-On (2-part epoxy) these should be available if you are in the States. Here in Australia Techniglue or other epoxy glues are used. I - and most other boywer - have had no problems with bamboo delaminating.

Running Bear Eagle Eye

#3 Post by Running Bear Eagle Eye » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:50 pm

I am from Mtdandenong Victoria.
Where do i get techniglue, is it available at bunnings and how much does it usually cost.
Thanks

perry

#4 Post by perry » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:38 pm

Gidday Running Bear,Ive had good results using a marine grade epoxy called EPIGLUE.Should be available from any good boating accessesory store.Other mates use Technaglue and swear by it ,cant help with were they get it.Common old Resoursinol has also been recomended to me,it is widely available in good hardware stores.Regards-Perry.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

gilnockie

#5 Post by gilnockie » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:48 pm

For Techniglue, get in touch with John Clark at Ausbow in Adelaide:

http://www.ausbow.com.au/

or ATL Composites in Queensland. ATL manufactures Techniglue and they can probably tell you if there is a supplier near you. There are several types of Techniglue. I think you will need CA 60 or HP R15. If you do not have a hot box, you should choose the one which cures at room temperature.

http://www.atlcomposites.com/products/e ... index.htm#
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:28 pm

I agree you should use a good epoxy glue but it would seem that you may have something else causing you problems because the Araldite should have held as it has been used for bow making; it just doesn't hold up real well in hot climates.

A few things I can think of which can cause the problems you are experiencing:

1. Are you clamping your laminates to tightly which squeezes too much glue out and starves the joint of glue.

2. Have you sanded the lams with course sand paper so the surface is rough for better adhesion of the glue?

3. Are you sure you don't have something contaminating (oils, finishes dust etc) the lams which maybe causing the glues not to adhere properly?

Anyway just thought I would throw these thoughts in as well. I hope you get things sorted quickly.

Jeff
Last edited by Stickbow Hunter on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Running Bear Eagle Eye

#7 Post by Running Bear Eagle Eye » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:00 pm

Thanks for the help i think i will give the aroldite one more go as i think i may have been clamping to tightly and if that fails i will try the other glues suggested during this post.
Thanks
Daniel

perry

#8 Post by perry » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Had a thought that will help you no end with both the glue up and performance of a bamboo laminate bow.Bamboo is very hydroscopic,its is very difficult to get its moisture content down around 8 to10%.It will be worth your effort to build yourself a hotbox.This is simply a cabinet large enough to hold your staves or backing strips heated by a couple of light globes.A couple of days should be enough to dry out a bamboo backing
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Running Bear Eagle Eye

#9 Post by Running Bear Eagle Eye » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:56 pm

ive never really considered a hotbox but i will start looking for plans to see how simple they are to build as it does sound like something i may need.
As for the araldite it is working now and my bow is staying together so i am now a very happy owner of a 65-70pd bamboo backed spotted gum bow that shoots really well however i may need to develope some more strength before i can use it effeciently.
Thanks every one once again for your advice.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:01 pm

Good news mate. Have you got any photos of it as I'm sure there are a few of us that would love to see it?

Jeff

Running Bear Eagle Eye

#11 Post by Running Bear Eagle Eye » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:14 pm

I have a camera but i have lost the cable to send images to the comp however i will be looking to buy a new one probably tomorrow.
And then i will send in pics.