New Comer to Traditional Archery

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Trad Bound

New Comer to Traditional Archery

#1 Post by Trad Bound » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:32 pm

I visited the Geelong event as a viewer only. Thank you to everyone who made us welcome. As a Compounder it was great to see tradition alive and well and the friendliness from all over the country was great. I had only been there 30 minutes and had already met people from Vic, Qld, NSW and WA who made us very welcome. What an amazing bows, outfits and personalities. Congratulations for the great sharing that was going on throughout the day something you all should be proud of.
You inspired me to start getting involved with Traditional Archery.
Where do I start.
My archery is likely to be non hunting.
I'm looking into a bow with my pennies being limited $200-$300 I have been looking at Samicks from Canberra as their prices seem best. I would be interested in peoples comments in terms of styles and models. With limited arm strength (due to getting older) I thought I could manage around 45 lb.
Arrows: Are there any good webpages advising on wooden arrows both in specifics for size etc and how to make them. Or would you advise getting them made up. I know there was someone at Geelong event who made them or I can get shafts from Mr Happy at Werribee. Personally I would rather whittle them with a blunt knife than put up with his charm. I like a lot of Compounders and recuvers buy from him unfortunately in Melbourne we have limited choice say no more.
I've got the quiver bit under control as I use to be a leather worker. That I might explore in the future when another event comes to Victoria.

As you can see I'm looking for a lot of advice. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Trad Bound

archangel

#2 Post by archangel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:53 pm

TRAD Bound,

Welcome to Ozbow! Altough I did not attend the event at Geelong, it was an outstanding success from all accounts. Glad to hear you are interesting in moving over to the "light side". I'll let some of our writers who have bought bows around the range you mentioned give their advice. Regarding making your own shafts, this thread is well worth a visit.
http://www.ozbow.net/glenn_hand_made_shafts_001.htm

I use blocks of oregon (ash or any close grained timber is ideal) split down into 10mm square billets. Make them longer than your usual arrow length, with the edges planed down and sanded into round dowels. There are several other really good threads on wooden arrows made by subscribers - you should be able to pick up all the advice you need to end up with a fine set of arrows you have made yourself.
Attachments
glenn_hand_made_shafts001002.jpeg
glenn_hand_made_shafts001002.jpeg (113.79 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

MaylandL

#3 Post by MaylandL » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:05 pm

G'day Tradbound and welcome to Ozbow

You may wish to consider getting good/reliable second hand gear if you are just starting out in trad. In terms of your choices there are longbows and recurves. Most traditional archers choose wood/fibreglass/laminate bows (one piece or takedowns). The choice of recurves over longbows is, IMHO, a personal one.

There are also bows that do not have shelves/centreshot for the arrow to rest on line a selfbow or horsebow. These are a little harder to master as the arrow is shot of the back of the hand.

There are many different types and its worthwhile to take the time to try out different bows in your local archery shop.

As for draw weight, again best try out bows of different draw weights to see what you are most comfortable with. I was a compound bow shooter before I turned to trad archery and its very different. For a start, shooting trad gear , there isnt any let off. For me, as a general rule of thumb, I should be able to draw the bow and hold it without any shaking or stress. As you would know its more important to have control over the bow which translates to good shooting form and technique.

As for wooden arrows there are a number of considerations. Ozbow has a lot of threads about the manufacture of wooden arrows, matching them to your bow. Other sites I refer to are:

http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/monadh/ar ... pplies.htm

I find these very informative.

Happy shooting all the best for your trad archery journey.
Last edited by MaylandL on Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:06 pm

Hello Trad Bound and a very warm welcome to the site. :D

I had a good chuckle about your episodes with "Mr Happy". :lol: :lol:

I was at the Geelong Shoot, but I don't think we met, I was probably looking for my arrows in the creek at the time. :cry: :D

I think you're picking the right time to become involved in traditional archery in Victoria, as from what I hear there's going to be around 7 big traditional shoots within the state next year, not to mention your weekly fix at your local club.

You're on the right track with your choice of a Samick bow, I believe. You haven't specified what type of bow you are looking for. The style comes down to personal choice. No one style is superior to another as they all have their pros and cons. I you're looking for a longbow, might I suggest the Internature Viper as not only are they a great value for money bow, but a great performer too. They also look great. I was shooting beside a young chap at the Geelong shoot during the clout event and I was absolutely amazed at the performance he was getting from his 40# Internature longbow. He had no trouble landing his arrows right beside mine and I was using a 50# recurve. :shock:

If, on the other hand, you're looking for a recurve, then a Samick would be the go in my opinion. I particularly like the look of their Equus recurve personally, but the takedowns offer some advantages too, like the option of buying lighter or heavy limbs at a later date. Samick also make a nice deflex-reflex longbow called the Verna.

As far as arrows go, I highly recommend that you make your own. Not only is it much cheaper, but you will end up with a superior product. You needn't spend lots of money to set yourself up either. Fletching jigs aren't all the expensive and neither are tapering tools. You will probably have everything else you need already such as a hacksaw, sandpaper, clear laquer, etc. I personally use the Silverwood shafts, they're made from silver quandong and come barrel tapered and matched for both spine and weight by the dozen. They are extremely straight and uniform, yet are relatively cheap at $32 a dozen at "Mr Happy's".

I hope to meet you at the next traditional shoot somewhere. I will be easy to find, just look behind the butts for a little old guy with a white beard looking for arrows. :lol:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

MaylandL

#5 Post by MaylandL » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:14 pm

Mick Smith wrote:...
I was at the Geelong Shoot, but I don't think we met, I was probably looking for my arrows in the creek at the time. :cry: :D

...I will be easy to find, just look behind the butts for a little old guy with a white beard looking for arrows. :lol:
Says he who (if memory serves me correctly) placed third in the unaided recurve category and nailed the 3D targets in the hunt. :)

Happy shooting
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Anysia

#6 Post by Anysia » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:25 pm

MaylandL wrote:
Says he who (if memory serves me correctly) placed third in the unaided recurve category and nailed the 3D targets in the hunt. :)

Happy shooting
Says he who got first place in "Hunting the Herd". :lol: :lol: :wink:
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with their experience.
"You're only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely!" .. Ogden Nash

danceswithdingoes

#7 Post by danceswithdingoes » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:24 pm

Tradbound, welcome to 'real' archery. I have owned and enjoyed a 45# Samick Equus and at the price fits into your budget, some of the cheaper Samicks dont like shooting off the shelf whereas the Samick Equus(a near identical copy of the $1200 Blag Widow SAG) loves to be shot off the shelf is smooth to about 29", pretty to look at and light in the hand and reasonably quick to boot.
http://www.archeryshop.com.au/p/45183/samick-equus.html
If you can squeeze another $50 out of your budget the Samick Lightning is an excellent buy. Being a takedown it is more portable than a one piece, but as it has long limbs on a stubby riser it would be fairly quick, a bonus at lighter poundages.
http://www.archeryshop.com.au/p/145992/ ... hting.html
ImageImage

jaselpool

#8 Post by jaselpool » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:46 pm

Welcome Trad Bound

What you really need is an English Longbow to do the job properly :wink: and making your own arrows is a great part of Trad shooting.

Jase
>>––––––>
New trad archery items now in stock! THE LONGBOW SHOP

yeoman

#9 Post by yeoman » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:47 am

What you really need is an English Longbow to do the job properly and making your own arrows is a great part of Trad shooting.
AMEN!! Except for the english longbow part. Any handmade bow gives an immense amount of satisfaction. Much cheaper too.

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi Trad Bound,
Glad to hear you no longer require those training wheels, your apprenticeship is now complete.
I have sent you a personal email re arrows.
sue

erron

#11 Post by erron » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:14 pm

Welcome to the site and to Trad, Trad Bound!

You might like to dig into our Lore & Legend pages, from the link on Ozbow's home page:

http://www.ozbow.net/lore_legend_001.htm

someone mentioned Glenn's arrow article there, and another good'un is Jeff Challacombe's Arrows:

http://www.ozbow.net/woodarrows_1_001.htm

Enjoy the journey :wink:

Erron

Trad Bound

#12 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:40 pm

Thanks to everyone for their replies,sorry I haven't been online sooner been a tad busy. I have enjoyed the messages. Thank you to those of you who provided advice, your services and web links. I have been inspired to start looking to getting a recurve and I will make my own arrows. I look forward to our future discussions and contacts at Trad events