New bow is here! HORRAH!

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Timmah

New bow is here! HORRAH!

#1 Post by Timmah » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:13 am

My new Molinjor Hunter Extreme arrived yesterday! I was so excited! I have to say that Chris has outdone himself on this one, Its stunningly beautiful.
No full draw pics yet.. because i cant fully draw it :shock: YET! but i am very determined! only a few inches off. The bow is 65# @ 28". Its a 1 piece made from Jarrah, Silky Oak and Blackwood. I figure that since my ultimate goal is to draw a medieval poundage longbow this will be a good stepping stone for me to build up some strength.

Heres some pics!
Attachments
Here she is braced with her little sister. My Molinjor Longbow. 70" 40# @ 28". I now have a matching set as they are both made using the same timbers :D The walking frame is not mine just incase your wondering...
Here she is braced with her little sister. My Molinjor Longbow. 70" 40# @ 28". I now have a matching set as they are both made using the same timbers :D The walking frame is not mine just incase your wondering...
TheTwins.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
The riser. Jarrah, Sliky Oak and Blackwood.
The riser. Jarrah, Sliky Oak and Blackwood.
Hunter2.jpg (51.31 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
Unbraced. Check out those curves! *wolf whistle*
Unbraced. Check out those curves! *wolf whistle*
Hunter1.jpg (48.64 KiB) Viewed 2796 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:34 am

Good one Timmah, you seem rather excited!!! :D

What timber is in the limbs? Also she looks a shorty, what length is she?

Jeff

Timmah

#3 Post by Timmah » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:56 am

Unbraced she measures 58" nock to nock. If you just run straight between those 2 big recurves its only 53". Limbs are 2 laminates of Blackwood with bo-tuff either side.

I shot 50 arrows or so (to the best of my ability) yesterday and now it hurts to type today...i can feel every muscle in my arms and shoulders twanging. At least i shot off a few nocks which i can be happy with. I'm going back for more later! We'll see who tames who first... the only way I'm gonna give up is if it pulls my shoulder out! ;)

When i spoke with Chris and mentioned that i cant get it to full draw yet he kindly offered to take it down another 10lb for me. I'm going to persevere at 65.

Brumbies Country

#4 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:31 pm

Looks great Tim:lol: . We will look forward to seeing it when you get off the night shift .

Simon

Timmah

#5 Post by Timmah » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:38 pm

This is my last weekend of nights. I'll be back out next weekend!

Do you know if the bowhunters are meeting next weekend or is it this weekend? Anyway i'll send you a pm.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:01 pm

I like it Timmah. 8) It looks similar to my Chek-Mate "Atilla" with it's minimal riser and deeply recurved limbs.

What's that funny little vertical stripe on the shelf of the bow?

Mick
Attachments
Atilla bow.JPG
Atilla bow.JPG (132.47 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:20 pm

Tim,

Thanks for that, I thought it would have been around 58".

May I give you a word of warning. Be VERY careful that you don't overdo it with trying to pull the heavier poundage as it is very easy to tear the rotor cuff or something else. I did it many years ago after a bit of a lay off and it took close on two years to get things right again.

It is best to warm up with your lighter bow and then just have a few shots with the new bow. Repeat this each time you practice and increase the shooting of the big bow a little at a time.

All the best.

Jeff

Timmah

#8 Post by Timmah » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Mick: Its a thin stripe of leather that covers the shelf. As the shelf isnt flat its wide enough to cover the highest part where the arrows pass through.

Jeff: Thanks for the advice. I have stretching alot and warming up with my longbow. I'm alternating shooting 20 from my longbow then 10 from the heavier bow. Think that will work ok? I would hate to be out of the game for 2 years! Must have been awful! :?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:07 pm

Tim,

It wasn't a case of not being able to shoot for two years but it took that long before the tear was completely healed. I couldn't shoot properly for around nine months. I had a lot of physio and in the end a couple of cortisone injections before it started to come good. I hate those things but they fixed it and that was many years ago now and I haven't had anymore problems.

I would only shoot the ten shots for a session if it was me and once it becomes more comfortable you could increase the number of shots. It is also a good idea to have a rest day every few days.

Jeff

archangel

#10 Post by archangel » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:19 pm

Timmah

That is a lovely little bow. I could see how you experience soreness drawing such a short bow after being so used to the longbow. A few queries ... did you order the bow at that length as a speciality request (ie. hunting) or was it part of the standard Molinjor range? do you use a bow stringer? did you experience any problems stringing a recurve from stringing your long bow?

kimall

Poundage

#11 Post by kimall » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:39 pm

I would not shoot the bow as tempting as it is but draw and hold the bow a few seconds about 1/2 way for 10 reps then 3/4 for 5 reps and then try to increase as you feel more comfortable with it.Do this both sides for two weeks and you will see a big differance in your strength.I have found it is the SHOT that does the harm as it can jar the shoulder as you go from full weight to no weight.Still shoot your lighter bow and you will see how much your strength improves by how much easier it is to shoot it.
Cheers KIM

Timmah

#12 Post by Timmah » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:53 pm

Archangel,
This was apart of the Molinjor range. He makes these as a hunting bow, most people use them for shootin pigs i was told. Obviously its not ideal for target shooting (which i normaly do) but i like differnt styles and bows etc. Im not into serious comp its all just fun to me. If i ever get into hunting this will be more then sufficient i think.

My first bow was a recurve however my stringer didnt work so well with this bow. It was one of those Saunders ones where it sits mid-limb, it couldnt pull the recurves out enough. I went and bought a new one to use 15 minutes after the bow was delivered. I have a fair few stringers now lol. I had no problems stringing this bow after my longbow, Its just a bit harder to pull it up ;)

Jeff, thanks for the advice. I will limit the shots. I would hate to do some serious damage.

rory

#13 Post by rory » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:43 pm

Is this bow to hunt with :?: :?:
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve 65# @ 28"

Blackstump broadheads

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:01 pm

Talking about rotor cuff injuries, I was knocked from my motorcycle by a car a few years back. The numerous cuts and abrasions soon healed, but my damaged rotor cuff took forever to come good, well 6 months or so. Even now to this day, it still gives me some pain and if I over-reach and strain my shoulder, it feels like an cross between an electric shock and a knife stabbing pain and takes a week or so to settle down.

When I first got my 60# Martin Savannah, my rotor cuff went haywire again for about a month. It was definitely due to the added strain on my shoulder, but after slowly getting used to and persisting with this bow, I was able to shoot it for long sessions without any pain.

The moral of the story, take Jeff's and Kim's advice and take it easy with the new bow. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Timmah

#15 Post by Timmah » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:01 am

Yup i am following Kim's advice one this one, thanks Kim. I am also doing some very very slow draws with my longbow and then slowly letting it back.

shorty

#16 Post by shorty » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:12 pm

Timmah, I just wanted to say, that is one gorgeous bow! :)
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and whatever you hit, call it the target..."

ed

#17 Post by ed » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:41 pm

I have to back up these comments - do NOT injure the rotator cuff. They never fully heal to as good as before. There will always be some residual problems or weakness.

It is good you are taking Kims advice on how to train for the heavier weight. Holds at any stage of the draw are also good. Most important is form, good body alignement and you can draw a lot heavier than if you crouch/slouch etc. Make sure your shoulders are back, head is up, chest is out, like you are on parade in the army. Most shoulder injuries have a posture component to them aswell, so when working anywhere near close to your limit, always think form first, power second.

It is not that hard to go up in weight, but you may notice you don't get an improvement for 2-3 weeks as your muscles need to tone up before getting stronger. Remember also that it takes bones longer than muscles to adjust, and tendons and ligaments longer still.