Cresting paints/solutions

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Griffo

Cresting paints/solutions

#1 Post by Griffo » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:11 pm

Hey all,
I was wondering what you find the best paint/solution/stuff to crest your arrows with.

I have found that nail polish is tops. It is cheap, has it's own brush and dries in a minute or so.

I also like to use 'paint pens'. You can get really good ones with brush tips that you just push a button on the end of to get more paint into the bristles. They are a little exy but do the job brilliantly. I even trim down the bristles to get to a really fine line when needed, but can still push more firmly when wanting a fatter line.

What do you fellas use/do?

Griffo

MIK

#2 Post by MIK » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:40 pm

howdy doody

i have been using just normal acrylic paint as it washes out in water ... easy clean up

i never thought of nail polish, i will have to try that out and i haven't seen the paint pens with the button sounds like they could be worth a go as well. the only paint pens i have seen are the texta type

i have been cresting my arrows and then applying a stain to the crown ... the stain seems to leaking futher down the wood unless i crest first

i have also been having trouble with white paint not covering the wood .. it becomes almost see through instead of a solid cover ... i bet the nail polish would fix that though

be intersesting to hear from others as well though

MIK

erron

#3 Post by erron » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:03 am

Nail polish sounds like a great idea, as long as the ladies don't pinch it! :)

You can get some great effects in it too: glitter and so on. Maybe not 'Traditional', but interesting 8)

Erron

Buford

#4 Post by Buford » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:54 am

i know this is a bit late, but, a guy from the hunter valley bowhunters showed me a good way of gettin really fine pinstripes.

get a bit of wire bout half a foot long, (cut up a coat hanger) bed it round (into the shape of a fully drawn bow!) and tightly tie a length of end string serving between the ends. then simply apply your paint to an inch of the centre of the serving, via a brush or the like, and while your arra' is spinnin in the cresting jig simply touch it to the shaft.

works very well to get a fine line as the serving doesn't 'spread' on aplication like the tip of a brush can.

cheers
buford

ps. i use paints from hobby shops, the little jars of acrylic used on models. saves you having to buy 500ml at a time.
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#5 Post by erron » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:09 pm

Hobby shops is a great tip, Matt! :)

MIK

#6 Post by MIK » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:50 pm

the idea with the wire for the thin lines is great

have to go down to the work shop and make one right now

thanks
MIK

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:23 am

i have posted some pics in "what becomes of the broken shafted" of some sticks i just made. unfortunately i didn't use the wire and serving trick on these ones, only brushes, but thought you might like a look anyway.

cheers
buford

MIK

#8 Post by MIK » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:59 pm

i have been having trouble with the paint of the end cap of the arrow coming adrift from under the fletches ... hence loose fletches on the back of the shaft ... still fly ok though :-)

i have been putting a coat of varnish on the bare shaft then the end cap followed by a couple more coats of varnish

i have been using acrylic paint which i paint on with a brush as i dont have any dipping tubes as yet

any ideas??
please

thanks
MIK

erron

#9 Post by erron » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:20 am

Some fletch glues don't like some paints MIK. Can't remember which way it goes, but know Fletch-Tite seems to have trouble with some varnishes and paints. Someone else might know more?

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:02 am

Mik,

By your description I would say that your coloured acrylic paint isn't sticking to the base coat of varnish. Was your varnish oil base?

Rather than using acrylic paint for your cap try Fiddly Bits or similar spray cans as they are also oil base. I have been using this method for many years now without any problems.

Always use a white undercoat first followed by two top coats of your preferred colour. The white makes your paint cover better. If you don't and you use lighter colours like yellow you need lots of coats or you can still see through it. Steel wool between coats. (Refer to the arrow making article on this site.)

I wrap a bit of newspaper around the shaft and then hold it in place with masking tape. Have the tape half on the paper and half on the shaft so that you spray up to the masking tape.

I always seal the shafts with varnish first and then spray the cap colour, crest and then finish with two more coats of varnish over the top. I rub the varnish on with a rag. Disposable rubber gloves are good when doing this.

Hope this solves the problem.

Jeff

Buford

#11 Post by Buford » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:12 am

i have had the same problem with some varnishes but the one lacquer that gives me no trouble no matter what type of glue i use is a product, i'm not sure who makes it, it's called "speed clear". fletch tite sticks to it like baby crap to a lambswool rug.

cheers
buford

MIK

#12 Post by MIK » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:30 pm

thanks guys

the varnish i am using is an oil based varnish so that maybe why its not sticking

i am about to start another topic about varnishing shafts

look forward to your input

MIK