What do you shoot?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#31 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:44 pm

Erron,

I took the liberty after reading your post and emailed them both and invited them along. I didn't know if they wanted their emails listed publicly on here. It would be good to see them visit. Jeff

erron

#32 Post by erron » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:55 pm

Well done, thanks mate! :)

Cher

#33 Post by Cher » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:45 am

G'day all!
Thank you Jeff for the email letting me know about the new site. Had heard the rumour it was starting up - looks good!
Ed is back here for the moment - along with 3 young zimbabwean's, two of which will be heading north with him shortly to help start the broadhead study.
Had thought I'd be able to get a few of you over here for a barbie but, they're all busy getting gear together so as to leave for the Cape on Friday or Saturday - we've just bought a 4x4 that needs setting up and the boys are busy making strings, arrows etc....the mag office looks more like an armory right now!
Unfortunately I won't be able to join him up north this time - such is life! will have to content myself with a short trip west to Roma - rest of the time I'll be around here somewhere, so if there's any questions etc you want passed on to the bush bum just send them my way.....mind, most of my hunting practice comes just in tracking him!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#34 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:29 pm

G'day Cher,

Great to have you on the site. Sounds as though things are pretty much normal around the office then, for when Ed's there that is?
.....mind, most of my hunting practice comes just in tracking him!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If he is passing this way on his way up or back tell him the coffee is always ready. He knows where we are.

Also give him a message will ya? Tell him to lock up his swag at night, don't want a repeat of last year. Spiders, they give me the creeps :shock: Wish him and his friends all the best with their trip.

Hope to see you on here often now that you know where we are and we look forward to your input. Jeff

erron

#35 Post by erron » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:25 pm

Welcome to the site, Cher!

I can only second Jeff's sentiments: it will be great to have your input on things.

cheers,

Erron

Tuffcity

#36 Post by Tuffcity » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:07 am

My "weapons of meat destruction" are made by a BC bowyer (Chek-Mate). I shoot a ~56# recurve@ 30" and fool around with a ~60# longbow. The 'curve is 60", bubinga & curly maple with yew limbs and the lb is a 66" model of birds eye maple & black walnut. I generaly shoot beman 400's but mess around with douglas fir shafts footed with yew or rosewood and self nocks.

RC

Last edited by Tuffcity on Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Charly

#37 Post by Charly » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:57 am

ok,here´s my equipment:
Thunderhorn heartstopper 60" 62@27,rosewood cocobolo handle,red elm limbs this time I use hickory tapered 11/32"arrows with 160gr.stos bhds,just made them ready for hogs in Hungary ;-)
and carbonwoods 4000 with 100gr steel adapters and 130gr.Stos for not to tough game like roe deer.
Charly

erron

#38 Post by erron » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:12 am

sounds like a nice bow Charly. :) Post a photo if you can.

Tuffcity, your avatar should work now, if you want to try again. Don't know what happened with the image you tried to post: maybe you don't have permission to access it?

Erron

Tuffcity

#39 Post by Tuffcity » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:40 am

Hey, cool! It's working now. Thanks Erron. :D

RC

erron

#40 Post by erron » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:51 am

My pleasure Mate!

:lol:

Erron

(very happy coz he just eliminated the messy bug in the review panel when posting a reply!!!)

die bug, die! :twisted: :twisted:

Ah, that felt good.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#41 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:20 pm

Tuffcity & Charly,

They sound like very nice bows. As Erron suggested it would be good if you could post a photo of them. Jeff

TRASH

What do i shoot

#42 Post by TRASH » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:15 pm

Betty
Black Betty that is { she goes bam ba lam }
She's the nastiest piece of gear your likely to see, sort of like a old hagg with an attitude . Mean as cat **** as well, yes she has issues that go way back. I mean she was such a nice tidy piece of gear 22 years ago when i picked her up can't work out what happened to change her outlook on life ! Maybe its all the times she has jumped out of the canoe only to remember she can't swim and i left her there a while to teach her a lesson? Then again it could be the times to numerous to count i have thrown her at the oncoming boar that could have rattled her a bit ? Sometimes i think it could be from strapping her across the front of me QUAD and belting through the scrub with her sort of like a bull bar. The truth is with all her warts and scars and dings i have grown to love her like a fine wine, kind of pathetic really but i sure am gunna miss her when I DIE , !!!! SHE shoots a 680 mountain ash shaft tipped with a 160 grain ribby with 4x 5 inch feathers and speed nock through the hardest boars i have encountered . Though i dont know if she would still get the full 70 lbs draw weight
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#43 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:24 pm

Oh Black Betty bam ba lam!!! I've heard that cry a few times. :D

Yes that Ol' Girl has been through a lot. I've seen some of the abuse dished out to her - she was meant to shoot arras at boars not used to hit them over the head with. :shock:

Through all of it though she has been so faithful - simply amazin' :lol:

Charly

#44 Post by Charly » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:33 am

howdy folks,ok here´s a pic of my thunderhorn hearstopper

hope this will work,
cheers!
charly :wink:

TRASH

#45 Post by TRASH » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:33 am

Gday Charly

I don't suppose you have read the artical in the traditional magazine over your way written by Hans Stein on his trip to Australia and a trash shoot it was in the last issue i think .If you have mate, thats us!! out here in the west outback .He sent us a copy but its all in German can't read it but the pictures are nice i guess. So one day when your bored to death write it out in english and send it over mate :lol: ONLY JOKIN MAN
ever thought of commin over for a hunt

Charly

#46 Post by Charly » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:55 am

Gday trash!!
sorry for not getting back earlier,there´a lot of time differance and i need some sleep,too!
Yeah I´ll see what I can do,the article about the trash tournament in and around Bouilia Hans wrote is great!This is just the way like I want to do here over there!But we can´t hunt here as you may know and have to go to other places in Europe or overseas.
When I have lots of time i´ll try to translate this story and will post it.
by the way nice pics were added to this article,too!Does one of the pics show you?

I would love to come over there for hunting and stumpin'.. maybe some day we will meet...

best wishes
charly

PS:Just got my new morrison cougar today, this link here should work

erron

#47 Post by erron » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:09 am

Charly, that's a gorgeous bow man!

I 'inlined' the image in your post for you. You can do that by selecting the entire link, and clicking on the 'Img' box above your post. It just tops and tails the link with a bit of code to put it straight in your post. Hope that's okay by you.

Erron

Jackrat

#48 Post by Jackrat » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:48 am

OK,time to admit it,I shoot a groty old samick longbow.
Ugly as sin but it shoots so well I would feel like I,d lost my hand if I didn,t
have it. In the mean time I got,a plan.
Charly,That bow of yours is a thing of dreams.
Jack.

Glenn Newell

#49 Post by Glenn Newell » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:37 pm

Charly, you have got a real good bow there mate. Bob Morrison is one of if not the best bowyer in the USA. He is one of bowhuntings gentlemen. Very nice bow...Glenn...

Charly

#50 Post by Charly » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:02 am

erron:thanks for adding the pic of my morrison cougar!

to jackrat and glenn:thanks alot for the compliments,but i must pass them to Bob!!
and this bow is a shooter,even just with 57@27 it´s faster and more accurate then my morrison dakota with 61@27 that i had.
Just played around with some grizzly sticks,with 160gr.Stos bhds,what a great combo!
Yep i´m pretty happy :D with this bow,as jackrat said this bow is a thing of dreams.

Bob is a true gentleman and as Glenn said foir me also the best bowyer in the USA.

:wink: Charly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#51 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:34 pm

G'day Charly,

As most have said "nice looking bow" :D No wonder you're very happy with it.

What kind of wood is in the handle thanks?

Jeff

Butch Speer

#52 Post by Butch Speer » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:54 am

Charly,
That's a beautiful bow! Copperhead skins are fantastic looking on a bow.
Butch

You can't run with the big dogs, if you pee like a puppy.

<http://butchspeer.150m.com/>

comanche

#53 Post by comanche » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:28 pm

Hi all,

At the moment I am shooting an O.L. Adcock ACS, 64",72#@27". Will have a Morrison Cougar very shortly, 64",72#@27" gabon ebony riser,bamboo core with Jap ash overlays and am trading a Shrew for a Leon Stewart Longbow 78#@28". My quiver of choice is a Howard side quiver, but also have a Custom back quiver that I use. My arrows are 80/85 spine custom purple heart with Hunter's Heads and some new/old stock superceaders 80/85 with Hunter's heads. Also lam birtch arrows, of course hunter's Heads. The Hunter's Head is not made anymore, but I have a stash as I love this two blade head. Love heavy arrows,most of my arrows are 700 grains or more.

Danny
"It matters not which eye is dominant when shooting instinctivly"

Dr. Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

Glenn Newell

#54 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 am

Danny you've got a couple of good bows there mate. I know Bob Morrison personally, he is a fantastic craftsman and I have heard and read a lot of good things about Adcock's bows, his ACS longbow attracts a lot of praise. Have you got any photos of the Hunter heads you can post Danny.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#55 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:51 pm

Danny,

Could you give us some more info on your arras as well. Diameter and finished weight. I know you said they were around 700 grains. What weight is the Hunters Head, 160 gr? Are they the John Schultz head?

Thanks

Jeff

TRASH

#56 Post by TRASH » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:25 am

Gday Charley
I have been away for a while sorry mate!
Nice bow man, Betty used to look like that once !!!!
Yes i think i am in the pictures somewhere, Feral dave searle still has the magazine {DAVE} I can't tell you which one i is mate but if you just look for the MOST ruggedly hansom individual with the devilshly good looks and the wolfish grin thats probably not me. As pointed out on this site im the fat bastard up a tree with a silly hat on HA !!!!!!! :lol:

Jim Stewart

#57 Post by Jim Stewart » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:56 pm

Hi Ya'll,

Nice site here! :) For many years my "go to" bow was a 1970 Bear Super Kodiak, 55# @ 28", 60" length. Shot both woodies & aluminum, tipped with everything from old Bear Razorheads & Pearson Deadheads to the latest Magnus offerings. Two years ago, my sons gave me a longbow for Father's Day - a custom Howard Hill longbow (Wesley Special) sporting 5 lams of bamboo, a Gaboon ebony riser & elk horn tip overlays. It's 65# @ 28", 68" length. Shoot strictly chundoo shafts out of it, all currently tipped with 160 Ribbies, which brings the arrow weight to ~ 700 gr. This is definitely a love affair...

Now I wonder if the boys will take the hints I'be been dropping about those ACS longbows.....?!?
Jim

"Ya'll shore dew tawk funny..."

Silverfox.

#58 Post by Silverfox. » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:41 am

G'day all,

Well I thought I'd post what I'm a shooting, a Black Widow SA11, 62# @ 28". I shot heaps of curves before ordering one and as soon as I shot a Widow I had to have one. This baby loves 2020's in Legacy's but I have some tapered silverwood arras that sing when shot! I just love sitting and makeing good woodies :wink: . I'm keen to try those flash new "Grizzly Stiks" the yanks are all raveing about but the cost is stopping me at the moment :? take care all, regards Alan. 8)

P.S Yes I know Jeff............ glued up match sticks! :wink:
Attachments
Tully shoot..JPG
Tully shoot..JPG (42.47 KiB) Viewed 4901 times

erron

#59 Post by erron » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:01 pm

Hey Jim, welcome to Ozbow!

For a Furrner, you don't talk that funny; I could understand everything ya' said! Guess 'Traditional' is like an international language :lol:

Erron

vegie

#60 Post by vegie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:51 pm

I have finally got some digital photos of my new recurve.
It is a Huntsman made from Tasmanian Blackheart sassafras with burdikin plum contrasts. The bow draws 58 pounds @28 inches and shoots 2215's like dots. I tried one of Marks bows about a year ago and thought I just have to have one, I then threw him a curve ball when I wanted it made from Sassafras, but he was open minded about my suggestion and the bow has turned out beautifully.
Seems a shame to cover the limbs with camo socks.Hopefully I will get out and field test the bow in the near future :D

Daryl
Attachments
sassa_full_dig.jpg
sassa_full_dig.jpg (206.17 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
sassa_riser_dig.jpg
sassa_riser_dig.jpg (178.9 KiB) Viewed 4862 times