Silk backing with PVA glue?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Timmah

Silk backing with PVA glue?

#1 Post by Timmah » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:05 am

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried securing a silk backing using PVA glue and a waterproof varnish?

Tim

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:18 pm

G'day Tim,

I used Boncrete which is a PVA typr glue to put a jute string backing on a bow once quite a number of years ago. I sprayed it with my normal bow finish and it has been fine. I should imagine that it would be fine with the silk so long as you seal it well.

Jeff

John Allan

PVA glue

#3 Post by John Allan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:28 pm

timmah,
I reckon it would work if you use the good quality exterior pva it has a bit more moisture resistance to it. I have used it for wood backing strips on bows up to 45# and it held up ok.

Happy bow building.
John

archangel

PVA on silk

#4 Post by archangel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:16 pm

Timmah

Yep, PVA over silk works well - although Titebond 2 would probably give an even better bond. I have also used warmed 1:1 epoxy (keep its liquid for easier spreading) successfully. If you do use PVA, make really sure that it is waterproofed: a spray-on lacquer or acrylic like Anchor Clear would be suitable. Put up some photos please.

Timmah

#5 Post by Timmah » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:47 pm

My first attempt at a bow i used a urethane glue. It worked very well. Waterproof and flexible. Problem was it was very had to get a nice tidy finish with this. The glue would come up through the silk and leave shiney and dull patches. It was also very hard to spread. I figured PVA would be a little easier.

Archangel I have a few pics im gonna put up in my first post :-) Bow turned out...ok... its shootable but i dont want push my luck ;-)

Cheers

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Timmah,
PVA works well. You will need to seal the bow once the glue is totally dry. The silk won't do much to improve performance but it will give more integrety to the back of the bow. Japanese jockey silk is better than the silk used for suits. The silk changes colour once the glue has dried. White turns clear, grey turns black, green turns deep emerald etc. Best to do some tests on scrap timber.

Daryl.

yeoman

#7 Post by yeoman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 am

I agree with all of the above. PVA is a winner as far as fabric backings are concerned.

John: I am surprised though that PVA even held up to backing bows with wood. That's amazing!

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

John Allan

PVA

#8 Post by John Allan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:25 am

Yeoman,
The pva I used was the tradesmens grade exterior and costs a bit more than the normal stuff. I had some left over Merbau decking and I decided to try a backed bow out of it to see if it would work. I had noticed that dry pva was still a bit flexable so gave it a try. The bow is a slightly flattened ELB and I made it 72". I made it 45# At the time the only backing I could find was Tassie Oak strips from Bunnings. The whole project was only to get the hang of the process but it turned out surprisingly well. I shot the bow off and on for over a year. It finally took some set due to pinhole insect damage in the Merbau. It is still a shootable bow however. PVA is not to be under estimated but the same attention to glue lines must be applied. Clean surfaces with solvent and proper clamping or binding. Use plenty glue to obtain full coverage. I dont know how heavy you can go with it but for a quick to build light bow I would use it again.
John

Jeff

pva?

#9 Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:32 am

i dont know about pva but when putting on some snake skins i used glue made of raw hide works real good. :D
MAY THE SPIRIT OF THE WOLF WATCH OVER YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE

Wild Russian

#10 Post by Wild Russian » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:35 pm

And you can reglue dry spots with hot iron. Or make the whole process "dry" - it's old veneering trick.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:30 pm

Timmah,
I forgot to mention to coat the silk with PVA as well as the back of the bow. Also apply the adhesive to the dull side of the silk. You will also find that you will have time to work out air bubbles and bring the adhesive to the top of the silk. Cut the silk over width and when the adhesive has dried you can trim the edges with a sharp edge and then sand if necessary.
Daryl.

Timmah

#12 Post by Timmah » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey guys!

Yup i decided to give PVA a go. I bought some Selleys tradesman exterior PVA glue. It only cost $9 for 250ml. I applied the glue to the back of the bow and spread as evenly as i could. Then i laid the silk over this and held it in place with pegs. I left the PVA for around an hour then massaged PVA through the back of the silk with another cloth. Work out pretty good. I have been shooting the bow continuously all weekend. No sign of problems. Give it time and we'll see how we go.