Importing A Timber Bow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sparra

Importing A Timber Bow

#1 Post by Sparra » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:18 am

Gaday fella's...This has been bought up before but what is the deal when bringing a timber bow into the country???Does it have to go into quarrantine or does it come through with no probs???
Thanks...Sparra

Glenn Newell

#2 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:07 am

Sparra each time I have been the the States I have brought back timber bows and never had a problem, I aleways declare them and Customs just inspect it, never had a problem. If you are importing one the sender should declare what it is, you wont have any worries...Glenn...

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:29 am

Sparra

There's usually no problems associated in having a bow posted to you from another country. You may be hit with import duty, but it's unlikely.

The biggest hurdle is the length restrictions from the USA. Parcels longer than 42 inches will not be accepted by the US postal authorities, so this limits you to takedown bows only. Longer one piece bows will cost in excess of US$100 with private courier companies in shipping costs. :shock:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Lou

#4 Post by Lou » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:19 pm

This is what happened when I ordered my Blacktail from the states:

Sorry, the PDF attachment did not work but I ended up paying for the bow being stored and inspected by the quarantine.

I think the safest approach is that one calls the customs and asks for the 1st hand instructions.

Lou

Mububban

#5 Post by Mububban » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:23 pm

I believe with wood, customs is mainly concerned about wood boring insects or their eggs/larvae hiding in the wood which may come out and start attaching Aussie flora. A bow would (should!) obviously not have any voids in it or it'd be compromised in its function, whereas a jewellery box with a void in it is much less likely to crack or explode on the user :)

Customs might hold it and fumigate it but my girlfriend was able to bring in some carved wooden boxes from Bali, all customs did was fumigate it to be safe and then no worries. But the best advice is the ring customs directly. Maybe two or three times, seeing as sometimes different people will give you different answers!

piggy

#6 Post by piggy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:26 pm

I brought in a bow last year, from when it left the states to when it arrived was about a week.
As it was new I had to pay duty and gst about $240.00
if you can get them to mark it as a repair it will save you the costs

jcm

#7 Post by jcm » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:32 pm

a comment on importing bows. there is no duty on imported archery bows.
you only pay gst on the value of the bow if over A$1,000 .(value of bow including freight or postage )
should be no problem if the bow is laminated and the wood is "varnished" etc. if wooden bow (with bark etc) then quarantine will have a go.
your main expense other than the bow will be your freight and handling.
get a copy of the invoice sent to you and one attached to your order.
the tariff classification number for bows- 9401341.
check with your supplier regarding warranty- if anything goes awry with the bow within the warranty period you may have to send back to supplier for replacement. good luck any queries drop me an e mail

Sparra

#8 Post by Sparra » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:45 pm

Thanks for the reply's fella's...I just got onto a second hand checkmate hunter11 takedown...It will be posted on tuesday so will be interested to see how long it takes...I have bought in compounds and they have taken anywhere from 7 days to 2 months....

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:25 pm

Don't forget to show us some piccies when it arrives mate. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.