Multi fletching jigs

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

hernehunter

Multi fletching jigs

#1 Post by hernehunter » Thu May 18, 2006 9:25 am

hello all,

I know its been a while, but life has got in the way for a while, but am back on the archery kick with a vengance!

can anyone recommend a decent Multi fletching jig? ie six arrows at a time?

I have had a look at the Jo Jan model, but cant tell if its adjustable to be able to do both three and four fletchings per shaft. (which is MOST important!)

any kind words or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated, especially if you can tell me where I can buy them at a reasonable rate!

Cheers,

Ants.
One shot, one kill....(I wish!)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu May 18, 2006 10:23 am

G'day hernehunter,

The Jo Jan will do both 3 and 4 fletch.

IMO I would rather buy 1 or 2 Bitzengerger jigs than use the Jo Jan. There is no comparison between the two as the Bitzenberger is far superior is quality and the job it does, again IMO.

If you use a glue like Loctite 406 for gluing the fletches than 2 Bitzenberger jigs would probably be just as fast as the Jo Jan multi-fletcher. Even with one Bitz and Loctite I can fletch arras quite quickly.

As for purchasing jigs, try John Mac Donald in Sydney. His contact details are under 'Materials' in the Rescources section at the bottom of the forums.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

hernehunter

#3 Post by hernehunter » Thu May 18, 2006 11:21 am

thanx jeff,

nice about the amount of fletches. howeva, I have to prepare about 100 arras for a re-enactment shoot at hastings in the UK later this year, so the more i can push thru in the least amount of time, the betta...

will contact the guy you mentioned for a quote...

thanx again,

ants.

LBR

#4 Post by LBR » Thu May 18, 2006 4:05 pm

If you got with the Jo-Jan, be sure to do ONE test arrow before committing six at time to the jig--if you goof, it will be six goofs instead of one.

Personally, I prefer one Bitzenburger and fletch tape--I can fletch faster like that than I can with a Jo-Jan and glue.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Thu May 18, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi All

My $0:02 worth.

I have a Jo-Jan. I am happy with it.

What you get has a lot to do with how much money you are willing to invest and what you use to fletch.

If you are going to Super Glue your fletches on then you may be happy with two or three conventional jigs.

If you are going to use Fletchtite, Balsa Cement, Craft Glue, UHU Glue - all of which take a long time to dry you may want a Jo-Jan.

(I use both types of glue for various personal reasons.)

From my viewpoint the ideal setup would be a rotating table with many magnetic jigs setup on it. But that is a lot of money.

Jo-Jan issues.

Take your time setting it up. Swap the fletch holders around so that you get the best overall result - then number the fletch holders.

When you are doing short fletches 3" and under pack the other end of the holder otherwise you will find the tail of the fletch is not glued. You then will need to take the packing off if you want to do long fletches. I use masking tape. BTW You need to get the packing set so the base of the fletch is in full contact with the shaft.

If you want precise arrows - make all of them on a single jig. You cannot duplicate them otherwise. If you are willing to accept some tolerance then you can start using multiple jigs.

For re-enacting the Jo-Jan is fine. If you want to make "target" quality arrows buy a Bitzenberger - do not by a cheaper alternative, you will regret it in the long run. "The bitterness of poor quality will linger long after the sweetness of low price."
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

MrRecurve

#6 Post by MrRecurve » Thu May 18, 2006 5:07 pm

I just use 2 single clamp jigs and loctite, as soon as Ive done one, I then glue the other, by the time Ive done that the 1st one is finished, time to put in a new one, etc etc. You just dont stop, I can do a dozen in a half hour that way.
Walk softly and carry a bent stick............

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu May 18, 2006 5:39 pm

"The bitterness of poor quality will linger long after the sweetness of low price."
Very well put! :wink:

Jeff

clinglish

#8 Post by clinglish » Thu May 18, 2006 7:37 pm

I have a Jo-Jan single that I use , even though fletching is part of my relaxation time i don't think you can go much faster with a multi jig.IMO :wink:
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

kimall

Multi

#9 Post by kimall » Thu May 18, 2006 8:43 pm

When I was in full swing making arrows for customers at times I was doing 2 or 3 doz a night and they where mostley target arrows.I did all these with a single Cartel metal jig and Loctite 406.I would run glue along the vane base and hold it on the shaft for a count of ten and take the clamp away.This way you can do them very quickley but still get the best results and as the glue does not really dry well in air you have time to take the arrow out of the jig and wipe any excess away before it dries.
If using Loctite type glues get a jig with metal clamp as it is easier to scrape the build up off.Just my 2cents
Cheers KIM

hernehunter

#10 Post by hernehunter » Fri May 19, 2006 5:40 pm

cool,

am using C23 balsa cement to glue my fletching, my supplier said its basically the same as fletchtite, you just get twice as much for the same price!

the guy who showed me how to fletch said i should leave the glue to set for twenty minutes for each feather. how ever, being the impatient son ova gun that i am, I only leave it for 15. so by the time I sand the shaft, point and nock it, and attach 3 fletches, its takes me an hour to do one arra.

can anyone improve on the tips I have been given?

You can use supa glue? really? what are the pros and cons of that? apart from the obvious time savings, of course...

had a chat with another guy at a re-enactment shoot who recommended "Tung" oil to treat the wooden shafts with. its a marine product use to treat timber on boats, and he reckons its the jacks crackers. anyone heard of it? if not what are other people using out there in archery land?

look forward to hearing back...

Ants

jaselpool

#11 Post by jaselpool » Fri May 19, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi mate

At the moment I'm using 2 Arten Tollgate jigs and rotating as one of the guys above has posted. I can get 12 target arrows fletched in a half hour as well. I'm also using Loctite Glue (431) and it's working a treat so far and only takes around 15-20 seconds before I can put the next fletch on. I have tried a lot of other glues in the last few months and found this to be the best for not reacting with any varnishes. I tried Balsa as well mate and they just took too long to set.

I've been getting a good few orders from people so far and have now set up a new site! http://www.thelongbowshop.com/.

Jeff some pics of the basic target arrows I'm making are on there but I'll post pics to some of the more detailed ones when I have them - and I'll also post some pics of my english longbow soon i promise mate :D

clinglish

#12 Post by clinglish » Fri May 19, 2006 10:18 pm

One of our members has a three fletch jig on trading post for a very good price .I believe it would be faster as you set up all the fletches in the clamps and just put them on at the same time 3 done in the same time for 1. Im sure if you pm ed chris he would give you more details.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"