Weighting Carbons

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

piggy

Weighting Carbons

#1 Post by piggy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:48 pm

I have some Easton epic's 340 which are shooting great out of my recurve as a bare shaft only problem is they are a bit ligth for what i want, total weight when fletched with 125gn broadhead 420gns.
My problem is when i try to add weight weather it be fly screen rubber of light weight foam i get heavy nock left. Every time i read about someone weighting there carbons the all say it has no effect on spine.
Why are my arrows going nock left if weighting carbons has no effect on spine as others say ?

adam

#2 Post by adam » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:52 pm

"Tu as grossi" :wink:

Hello my Piggy Friend, Hmm just the talk of weighted carbons makes me want to go hunting.

I think(don't hold me too it) by shortening your arrows this should fix the problem, if you can't shorten the arrows you could go a liter head or even cut the foam/fly screen tubing down so theres not so much weight up front and glue the last 2inches in so it doesn't move.

Don't think I had this problem with my ones. Bit puzzling really.

P.s I can smell hog deer from here :wink:

Adam

p.p.s I think the only way to rectify this problem is trial and error, once your got em down pat the first time your laughing. I suppose if the fly screen was super tight it would restrict the carbon arrow from flexing, which would change the spine.
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

piggy

#3 Post by piggy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:52 pm

The fly screen is not to tight but i still have 1.5" i can cut off this shaft so i will try that an see how i go.
Thanks

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:03 am

Good Morning Piggy

Have had my play with Carbons.

My personal suggestion would be wood. The Victorian Ash shafts are heavier and easy to work with.

Send Keith a PM and see what he can do for you.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

piggy

#5 Post by piggy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:08 pm

Thanks Graeme i have some of keiths shafts and am currentyl cresting them i just wanted to try some carbons but they are giving me a hard time. I have alloys which shoot fine and the timber shoots with no problems i just cant get a weighted carbon to work for me. Without the added weigth the carbons are fine just to light for my bows min weight arrow.

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:18 am

Have you tried aquarium airline tubing?

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

piggy

#7 Post by piggy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:49 am

Had tried that amoung many other things. I cut the last 1.5" of the shaft and they seem pretty good now, so i will fletch it and try a broadhead and see how i go.
The cutting of the last 1.5" seemed to make the most difference to the flight of the arrow. All the shortening before this seemed to makn no noticable difference at all so i thought the last 1.5" would also make little difference.
But there lies my problem "I thought" :wink:

piggy

#8 Post by piggy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:37 pm

Well i fletched my carbon arrow with the same feathers i use with the alloys and now have a very noisy fletched arrow. Will try 4" feathers indtead of the 5" and see how it goes

Buford

Re: Weighting Carbons

#9 Post by Buford » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:40 pm

piggy wrote:I have some Easton epic's 340 which are shooting great out of my recurve as a bare shaft only problem is they are a bit ligth for what i want, total weight when fletched with 125gn broadhead 420gns.
My problem is when i try to add weight weather it be fly screen rubber of light weight foam i get heavy nock left. Every time i read about someone weighting there carbons the all say it has no effect on spine.
Why are my arrows going nock left if weighting carbons has no effect on spine as others say ?
It my not be a spine problem piggy San.

In my previous experience with carbons and target bows, the problem you describe, nock left (or nock any direction for that matter) can sometimes be traced to a front of center problem.
For arrows to be stable in flight they need to have 2 main things.
1. the correct spine for the bow
and 2. the correct % of the total weight of the arrow, forward of the center point on the shaft.
Distributing the extra weight all the way along the inside of their shaft (as I assume you have) with the fly screen rubber, will have changed the arrows front of center %, and therefore, changed it's flight characteristics.

Also, you can change a wood shaft's FOC % by barrel tapering (just FYI)

My advice would be add a little weight to the point end either via a heavier broad head or some brass rings etc. and see how you go. :wink:

hope this is helpful.

Buford San
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

piggy

#10 Post by piggy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:11 pm

thanks wrc 5.5.5. will check that tomorrow and let you know

piggy

#11 Post by piggy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:17 pm

Just checked the F.O.C. which is about 10% to 12%

pete w

#12 Post by pete w » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:29 pm

I have been adding weight to carbons for years with very good results.
I tried stuffing the shafts with everything I could get in there with mixed results. Finlay I tried the 100 grain brass inserts. These ad about 75 grains more than the standard aluminum insert.
Flight is so good that I now have them in all my carbons for all of my bows.Next step I started using heavy point weight and broadheads. 145 to 275 gr and with the brass they fly perfect.
I just shot a nice buck with a 49# ACS CX and 636 grain Easton Epic 400 spine shafts. They were tipped with 175 gr Tusker Aztec BH with 100 gr steel adapters in them , screwed into the 100 gr brass inserts.
An Alternate to the brass insert is to Epoxy a 100 gr 6mm/243 bullet into the shaft behind the regular Aluminum insert.

They don't nose dive like some will say , and they fly with perfect flight.
I have done this with 500 400 and 340 spine shafts for many bow setup's.
I found that they have the same trajectory as a wood or aluminum shaft that weighs the same.