Screw on broadheads for wood shafts.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jackrat

Screw on broadheads for wood shafts.

#1 Post by Jackrat » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:02 am

If you have ever wanted to use screw on heads with wood shafts,an don,t want to use the ugly alloy adapters,there is a way.This is what I do.
I like bear broadheads, so to mount them I use a two inch length of 2413
super light easton alloy shaft.I cut the shaft an glue the insert as per normal,then I slip fit the thing onto my 11/32 wood shaft.It is a very tight
fit so I don,t use any glue.If I break my arrow I can just dig out the wood
an use the head,insert an shaft peice again.
Have fun,,Jack.

erron

#2 Post by erron » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:52 am

Jack,

thanks for the tip (I'm gunna have to do a tips section on the next version of Ozbow, to save these!)

Any chance of pictures?

cheers,

Erron

Jackrat

#3 Post by Jackrat » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:19 pm

Yeah mate I,m going to put togeather some pic,s of different things soon.
Very soon.
Cheers,,Jack.

MIK

#4 Post by MIK » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:27 pm

hey guys check it out and old meets new arrow :-)

good idea though ... the camo job would almost match the camo woods i have made as well

MIK

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:52 am

Jackrat,

That is an excellent idea about the replaceable tips. It would add considerable strength to the arrow just behind the head as well.

MIK, what's with the camo arrows???? Aren't they hard enough to find as it is??? The critters will see you moving through the bush long before they see arrows in a quiver or on a bow.

I use woods with 6inch white parabolic feathers (which I cut myself) with red plastic nocks so I can follow them in flight and see them against a dull background. I have stood still in front of lots of critters when pegged during a stalk with my white flags showing in my backquiver without problem - until I moved.

White/light colours are naturally occurring in our bush and don't stand out disturbingly if you move VERY slowly so that your movement doesn't stand out against the natural movement of wind-blown vegetation as in still-hunting technique or in stationary stand-hunting.

Most critters reckon we stink more than look bad.

Stickbowhunter once wrote a very good article in the defunct Australian Bowhunter on natural non-military camo. He showed how check patterned ordinary upper clothing was just as good a camo pattern by showing colour and mono pictures of the same scene of a hunter among some bushes. His white feathers were not a significant feature of a mono background in these pictures as I recall.

Dennis La Varenne

erron

#6 Post by erron » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:11 am

I remember that article! Great stuff.

Jeff, do you still have any of the pics from that?

:)

Erron

doninkaliphornistan

#7 Post by doninkaliphornistan » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:31 am

there are also glue on adapters available ...
when in doubt, run in circles and scream and shout ...

MIK

#8 Post by MIK » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:49 pm

a bit late replying to dennis but hey what the hell

my camo arrows are just a fun thing as i am not a hunter unless paper is included which i hunt at least twice a week

i will post a pickie of the camo arrows when i have them completed ... just got the broadheads for them today

should have them completed by the end of the week

all in fun ... and maybe the critters wont see them coming :-)

MIK