The Importance of Nock Alignment

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

The Importance of Nock Alignment

#1 Post by erron » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:54 pm

One thing I've noticed is if I don't take a lot of care, the nocks may glue on slightly crooked. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on how important that is to consistent flight?

Erron

Butch Speer

#2 Post by Butch Speer » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:03 am

Erron,
G. Fred Asbell has a chapter in his book " Instictive Shooting " that deals in making arrows. He claims that the broadhead alignment is much more important.

In my own limited experience with self nocks, I haven't had any trouble with the ones that were cut slightly off center.
Butch

You can't run with the big dogs, if you pee like a puppy.

<http://butchspeer.150m.com/>

doninkaliphornistan

nock alignment importance?

#3 Post by doninkaliphornistan » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:09 am

i try to grind the nock taper of my shafts as close to perfect as i can get them. when the taper is perfect (?) then the nock will align more closely to the lateral axis of the shaft allowing for correct weight distrubution for correct flight ... :roll: geeeeeeeeeeeee ... did i say that right?

on wooden shafts its darn near impossible for "perfect" nock taper/alignment, but the closer the better.

i straighten my shafts at least twice before i grind the nock taper, grind the rear taper of the shaft, cut it to length and then grind the point taper.

i think it plays an important role in a more accurate wooden shaft.

as we all know, wood shafts cannot be had in the straightness that alum and carbons have. so ... with a little effort on our part, we can minimize that difference in mounting the nock.

i enjoy the process of making a wooden aero and have spent many happy hours 'fussin' over a singe shaft.

in my humble opinion, there's something about a handmade wooden aero that settles the soul.

:) :) :)
when in doubt, run in circles and scream and shout ...

erron

#4 Post by erron » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:23 am

Butch, another reply to a post I’ve made that I missed, sorry! :oops: And thanks for your feedback.

Don,

The reason I started this one is that I remember my father, who spent the last few years of WW2 as an armourer, emphasizing to me the critical importance of ‘seating’ of the round in a rifle chamber. He made the point that the more solid and true that bullet sat in the chamber, the truer it would fly. I was just extrapolating this to arrows, and wondering aloud, I guess.
in my humble opinion, there's something about a handmade wooden aero that settles the soul.
Couldn't have said it better!

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Erron

MIK

#5 Post by MIK » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:56 pm

i believe that its not only the nock that has to be as true as possible but also the point to get really true arrow flight

i think we all take great pride in all the bits that we make and use ourselves ... even the bits that help us with the finished product ... spine testers, feather burners etc

it is also great that there is so many of you guys out there who will pass on the knowledge to help us newbies to create our own bits

thanks guys and keep up the good work

MIK

ozlongbow

#6 Post by ozlongbow » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:17 am

Boys, when you shoot like me I reckon every bit helps in the way of getting everything aligned and straight as humanely possible! But then you can't blame your gear for your inability to hit a barn door at 10 yards. Dang.
Lindsay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:36 am

Nock and point alignment is very important and I think doninkaliphornistan summed it up pretty well.

The nock and point play a major role in the steering of an arrow. If either or both are not in proper alignment, then the arrow can do some strange things. Sometimes this is the sole cause of inconsistencies in arrow groups.

I also agree with you - I think there is something special about wood arras - they have charcter!

Jeff