Making Arrow Shafts

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

doninkaliphornistan

handcrafting wooden aero shafts ...

#31 Post by doninkaliphornistan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:02 am

select the wood ... cut the billets into 1/2"x1/2"x36" ... plane the shaft into being "round" from being square simply by rotating and planing evenly as you plane ... once desired outer diameter is reached, sand & steel wool to a smooth even finish ... straighten the shaft ... grind the tapers ... straighten the shaft ... apply desired finish ... crest ... fletch and attach desired point ...

i have a "hole" measuring gauge i made from hardwood by drilling holes in a block of it. (i drilled 5/16", 11/32" & 3/8" but you can drill whatever size(s) u wish) when the entire shaft will pass thru the hole, it's sized. i then put the finish on it after straightening it once again. and remember that generally speaking, the larger the outer diameter of a shaft, the heavier the spine of the shaft.

it must be noted that once the shaft will pass thru the hole, i then "finish" the shaft by sanding and steel wooling. this will remove a litte more of the o.d. of the shaft, so "11/32" will actually be smaller by a "tad". the sizing operation is to assure consistancy in shaft size diameter.

you should also straighten the shaft as you go thru the forming procedure as often as possible as some woods have better "memory" than others.

it's a time consuming, but not difficult operation, and it's very rewarding.

good luck and have fun ... :D :D :D
when in doubt, run in circles and scream and shout ...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:46 am

Don,
it's a time consuming, but not difficult operation, and it's very rewarding.
Spot on mate :!:

Jeff

doninkaliphornistan

#33 Post by doninkaliphornistan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:09 am

:D :D :D
when in doubt, run in circles and scream and shout ...