delshay pants?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Charly

delshay pants?

#1 Post by Charly » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:35 am

I found the blackfoot homepage and would like to know more about this camo gear.Anybody here who can help me?
I think it looks great and remind me on gray wolf woolens predator camo from the USA.Must be great for spring+summer hunting!
Anybody use this pants or shirts for hunting here?pros and cons,please!
Thanks you!
charly

Charly

#2 Post by Charly » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:39 am

forgot the link here it is
http://www.blackfoot.com.au/

Glenn Newell

#3 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:26 am

Charly I have seen the Blackfoot link befoer but i never realized it was Australian. It's looks a like the Predator camo and Grey Wolf, the sort of camo you wouldn't buy off the shelf but when you see it in the bush you wish you had of bought it a long time ago. I will have to get myself some...Glenn...

dave g

delshay pants

#4 Post by dave g » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:31 pm

Hi Guys, that Blackfoot Gear is top shelf...... hey that is because I am the bloke who manufactures it... yes, right here in Oz. I have been hunting for 30 yrs & got fed up with not being able to get a hold of top quality hunting clothing that suited OUR needs, not O/S conditions, so I started designing & manufacturing. The range is expanding all the time & it is all made to enhance your hunting experience with features you need & which are not added due to manufacturing costs by the opposition makers. I use the gear & it has to work or it doesn't make the production stage. There are still quite a few products to go onto the web page www.blackfoot.com.au
waiting, waiting for the web page guy to update, but we are getting there.
also customing is no problems. So if you need more info lets talk.
good hunting. Dave G. :lol:

Mr_X

#5 Post by Mr_X » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:41 pm

So you guys can make custom clothes if we supply the patterns? or reference pictures?

What sort of $$$ do you charge?

dave g

delshay pants

#6 Post by dave g » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:49 pm

Hey There Mr X, yes anything is possible. I did mean customising as in adding pockets,cuff closures etc but I can make from your design...only thing is if its a totally new design the cost could be steep as there is a lot of work in pattern making & then putting your design together, but hey I,m always looking for new designs that are functional & maybe others will like it as well..... what did you haver in mind.
dave g :?:

Mr_X

#7 Post by Mr_X » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:57 pm

thats great.

hmm, I'd have to draw some up and post the pictures :)

erron

#8 Post by erron » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:15 pm

Welcome to Ozbow Mr_x! Hope you enjoy your time here.

Dave G, glad to see you post to this thread, hope to see you more often, time permitting: I know how time consuming a business can be :o

I apologize for the link to your site not working from our Links page, BTW, that's fixed now! :oops:

Cheers both,

Erron

Mr_X

#9 Post by Mr_X » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:43 pm

Thanks Erron, Its a great forum! Lets hope it continues to grow (but doesn't get too big)

Cher

#10 Post by Cher » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:21 pm

Great to see you on here Dave!

Wanted to phone you regarding this thread - but guess wot!!
I've totally lost my voice!
Isn't it cruel! Have had a few of the advertisers and some horrid bowhunters on the phone and they just keep laughing!! Even Syd says not to hurry to 'recover'. :(

I know when Lindsay did the review for Archery Action he was telling me how impressed he was because the fabric was so quiet when stalking....but didn't comment myself since I'm still to buy my own gear (trying to get a tad 'fitter' before I place the order hehe).

Ed has taken the game bag up to Cape York for a trial run before I write a review on it......my friends up there tend to turn up their nose at wild pork, so I'm hoping Ed will 'convert' them.
Ed and the two lads from Zimbabwe who are travelling with him this time, will be eating what they shoot (at least some of it) so it'll come in real handy.

erron

#11 Post by erron » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:27 pm

Well done Cher, you've just posted the 1000th. post on Ozbow!

Can you hear the bells ringing and the band starting up?

:lol: :lol: :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, when is Ed expected back?

cheers,

Erron

erron

#12 Post by erron » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:28 pm

Well done Cher, you've just posted the 1000th. post on Ozbow!

Can you hear the bells ringing and the band starting up?

:lol: :lol: :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, when is Ed expected back?

cheers,

Erron

Cher

#13 Post by Cher » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:47 pm

Sooooo.....that's what's causing all the ringing in my ears!!! :lol:
Ed won't be back until the end of October :cry: ...unless the north runs out of piggies???

Charly

dave g

#14 Post by Charly » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:54 am

Dear dave g!!
I have send you an email about an order for the pants you offer!!
:wink:
Charly

dave g

#15 Post by dave g » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:18 pm

Hi Cher, nice to here from you. Lets hope the boys put my Game Bag to some good use up north. Recieved your email Charly & have sent you a reply. :D

dave g

#16 Post by dave g » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:29 pm

I read with some interest in the comment by Glenn Newell that the pattern of the Blackfoot Designs gear might not grab you on the shelf but seen in the scrub might change your mind. Hey Glenn can you expand on what you think about the pattern & why it didn't catch your eye at first sight..... is it that it has no green in the pattern or maybe because it doesn't look like the bush itself.... I'm very interested as I am designing a pattern at present for hunting in Oz & would love some feedback on what you guys really would like in a camo pattern. I want as much of my gear as possible to be designed & manufactured right here in our own country. Comments please!!!!! :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

erron

#17 Post by erron » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:26 pm

Dave,

is it possible for you to upload a few piccies of the gear so we can get an idea of what Glenn is talking about?

Erron

Glenn Newell

#18 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:08 pm

I should have explained myself a bit better Dave. I was takling about the Predator camo I have seen in the USA. They have a bright green camo I found repulsive when I first saw it in an outfitters shop, wouldn't even consider it.
A mate of mine came out from the USA a couple of years ago and hunted the red deer roar and western Queensland for pigs with me and wouldn't you know it he had this bright green predator camo I couldn't stand the sight of. After the first couple of days I could see how good this camo pattern was because it blended in with all terrian, I think this pattern is one of the best I have ever seen. A lot of the camo patterens just blob out and doesent work at all.
Good on you Dave for having a go at making good Aussie hunting clothing, I will support you any way I can, if ever you need a hand just say what it is and if I can I will help, we need our own industry here in Australia and not having to look overseas for our gear...Glenn...

Glenn Newell

#19 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:32 pm

Dave g here some info put out by the ASAT people incase you haven't seen it before, others will probably find this intresting...Glenn...
Here is a bit of interesting reading about camo patterns.

All About ASAT Research With Wild Animals By Jim Barnhart

The exhaustive research project that led to development of ASAT camouflage countinues today. The study was actually begun in 1976 by Jim Barnhart and Stan Starr, Jr., ASAT Camo developers. Barnhart, who has extensive education, training and experience in behavior observation and modification, determined early on that the issue of camouflage effectiveness could only be addressed through scientific reserch procedures.

Initial research studies lasted for a period of nine years, and comprised over 10,000 man hours of field work with wild animals in their natural environments. There were several separate studies conducted as part of the overall research project. These included analysis of existing patterns, both military and civilian in terms of their effectiveness on commonly-pursued animals like deer, bear, turkeys, elk, and small game.

Experimental patterns were developed by utilizing data obtained from each research segment, then used as visual stimuli on the above-named animals. In both types of study, animl behavioral responses were observed and recorded as the animals were visually stimulated by the pattern being tested.

A continuum of behavioral action was utilized to standardize and codify the animal responses. This continuum contained the following parameters: normal behavior, unaware of human presence or intrusion; awareness of something in the field of vision; alertness to a potentially threatening form or shape; anxiety casued by an increased level of threat over the alert stage; alarm, indicating a threat has been determined to exist; fright/flight response, in which the animal flees that area, while many times also making related noises and behavioral gestures indicating an imminent threat to safety, thsu alerting other animals of the danger/location.

It should be noted that both STATIC and DYNAMIC testing of existing and experimental patterns were conducted. STATIC testing was done by simply exposing animals to the stimulus (pattern) as displayed from normal hunting sites without any human movement involved. DYNAMIC testing involved actually making hunting-related movements in the presence of animals at varying distances from the experimenter while exposing the animal(s) in question to a specific stimulus (pattern).

Once it was determined that existing military and civilian patterns contained none of the elements necessary to effectively hide the human form in a non-threatening way, the experimental patterns were develoed and revised. Revision was based entirely upon the animal behavior continuum, with the goal of developing a pattern that would not cause animal behavioral responses above the awareness threshold level. Elements that were used as variable within the parameters of this part of the research project included colors and tones used in the pattern; size and shape of pattern elements; amount of contrast between the colors used in background and foreground shapes; proportion of the pattern shapes so that they would not blob out at the longer distances that animals normally spot the human form as a threat and go to alarm/fright/flight behavior.

Griffo

#20 Post by Griffo » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:15 pm

The ASAT Research document continued...

By experimental methodology, the researchers were able to identify the following four (4) characteristics as critical to camouflage pattern effectiveness:
1)  Large pattern shapes that will not blob out at the danger spotting scan distances of wild a animals.
2)  Shapes that are linear and that have mild to moderate curvature.
3) High contrast between these shapes and the background color, WHICH MUST BE A YELLOW BAND (of the color spectrum) TAN THAT IS ABLE TO REFLECT THE WAVE LENGTHS  OF LIGHT ENERGY FROM THE HUNTERS SURROUNDINGS BACK TO THE ANIMAL"S EYES WITHOUT CHANGING THE WAVELENGTH (thus the color and tone).  This enables the pattern to conceal a hunter in every type of environment on planet earth, no matter what the light conditions, weather, type of vegetation or other elements, and so on.
4)  An overall color scheme that is "neutral" to natural light, which is the thing that makes it possible for all eyes to work to interpret their world.  In fact, the scheme that works best, as seen in ASAT Camouflage's tan, brown and black colors, is also MOTHER NATURE's CHOICE.  How many green deer have you ever seen?  What color are rabbits, quail, grouse, deer, pheasants (hens), elk, bobcats, coyotes, and other animals who survive by their colors?  They're all TAN, BROWN, AND BLACK, aren't they?

Lots of hunters over the years have asked us to explain the findings of our research with respect to conditions that include snow.  The facts from the research are that snow blue/white is so "hot" or bright to animal eyes that it calls attention to the location.  Note that snow falls due to gravity from "up to down" and therfore, is a horizontal element.  when hunters, who are vertical, upright cylindrical solids, move while wearing snow type camo, animals develop extraordinarily high levels of fright/flightbehavior.  While ASAT's tan background color will lighten up just enough to blend you into a snowy situation, it never gets too hot for animals to see as a threat.

And that's also the best reason why you don't want to be wearing tree-type camouflage patterns either.  Animals see vertical (upright) cylindrical solids better than any other shapes in their world.  Ever see deer, turkeys, elk etc. NO MATTER HOW SCARED THEY ARE, run into a bunch of trees as they storm off through the thickest woods.   Why?  Because of how well they see the trees.  Now, why would you want to dress like the thing that animals see best in their world????  It does make you wonder who's been deceiving whom with all this ad hype about tree camos over the years, doesn't it?? 
Attachments
ASAT in a green environment
ASAT in a green environment
MI_green.jpeg (61.94 KiB) Viewed 6335 times
Close up of Tony
Close up of Tony
ghost_b.jpeg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 6335 times
Tony on a brightly lit track
Tony on a brightly lit track
ghost_1.jpeg (49.24 KiB) Viewed 6335 times

erron

#21 Post by erron » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:30 pm

Well dammit Griffo, being colour blind, I can't see anyone in those first 2! :x

Good photos to back up the article, and a good article. Thanks to you and Glenn.

Erron

Griffo

#22 Post by Griffo » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:06 pm

Okay then...here's the 'red box pics' so you can see him Erron :lol:
Attachments
ghost_bredbox.jpg
ghost_bredbox.jpg (26.14 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
ghost_1redbox.jpg
ghost_1redbox.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 6324 times

erron

#23 Post by erron » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:29 pm

holy Moly, that stuff works on me!

Just as well i'm not a deer :)

Erron

Glenn Newell

#24 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:55 pm

I was not a big believer in camo until I bought an ASAT suit, it's good gear. Thanks for putting up the rest of that info Griffo
Last edited by Glenn Newell on Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave g

delshay pants

#25 Post by dave g » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:18 pm

Hey its good to see all you guys researching this stuff....wonderful articles. I have been making my gear in the predator fall brown & do spend half my day at a gun show explaining to people that you don't need green in your camo for it to work & thats only the ones that stop to talk about it... I'm sure many people walk right on past just thinking " well that colour won't work were I hunt " & I have had people say that to me. I did bring out a sample of the predator spring green & found the same thing WOW!!! that is bright. Funny thing though now I know it would work just as well as the others. So this has led me to putting a green into my camo pattern plus it will have a very dark break up line throughout & tan & grey... like the predator. The reason for the green & yes I know it doesn't need it... is I just don't have the time to explain to all these guys that you don't need green. Also I do have to sell gear to earn a living & it does have to look pleasing to the human eye or you just can't sell enough. I will try to get a picture up of my new camo pattern for some feedback which I do want.
Interesting I took a dingo in victoria 2 weeks ago ( with rifle, shame, shame, I know ) but we both saw each other at the same time & I was crossing a grassy paddock... at 70 yrds this dog had no idea what the hell I was which gave me the time to sit down & pull off the shot. Since I have been wearing this breakup pattern I have had so many animals walk right on past me with no idea I was there. I must point out at this stage that covering your eyes is as important as wearing camo ( maybe more ). Pat Parrelli ( the horse guru ) pointed out the predator - prey relationship to me & boy is it important to cover your eyes if you want to stalk in close. It's great to talk about this with you guys that end up using the gear. Would you mind a green in your camo :?: I am working on a light weight mesh..camo.. at present..lets face it most of us have 2 months of cold weather & then were back into warm to hot days...the idea is total body coverage but the wind can pass through it to keep the temp down...comments please :?: :?: :?: The downfall of such a product is that with the light weight you lose it's ability to not get holed by a blackberry bush or lantana.... so guys how do we feel about that ...would 2 seasons be enough wear, you can repair this gear as well.

erron

#26 Post by erron » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:57 pm

Would you mind a green in your camo
- not at all, as long as it didn't lessen the effectiveness.
I am working on a light weight mesh..camo.. at present..lets face it most of us have 2 months of cold weather & then were back into warm to hot days...the idea is total body coverage but the wind can pass through it to keep the temp down...comments please The downfall of such a product is that with the light weight you lose it's ability to not get holed by a blackberry bush or lantana.... so guys how do we feel about that ...would 2 seasons be enough wear, you can repair this gear as well.
- I'll pass on answering this one to others: I'm a Victorian, so you can just about reverse that 2 month rule! :)

Erron

dave g

delshay pants

#27 Post by dave g » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:24 pm

Hi Erron, I did say most of us!!! You Victorians are another kettle of fish altogether...... most of you guys just want fleece!!! & hey thats ok I'm working on that also.... so many ideas & not enough time to get them all going :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: