BEWARE; Cheap Chinese Made Bamboo Arrows.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

BEWARE; Cheap Chinese Made Bamboo Arrows.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:05 am

I wanted some bamboo arrows to use with my Asiatic style bows. At $49.00 per dozen after discount and delivered to my door I thought it worth the risk.
The self nocked arrows appear to be well made although the parallel slip over field points may be a little difficult to remove from some type of target butts or could cause extra damage to 3D targets when removing the arrow.
I randomly selected six arrows to check their mass. The results were far worse than I anticipated. The results as follow; 401.2 grn; 421.3 grn; 506.2 grn; 521.6 grn; 535.5 grn; 592.6 grn.
The price one pays for being lazy, I should have made my own.

The image and text is from their website.

Daryl.
Bamboo Arrows.jpg
Bamboo Arrows.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
“These bamboo arrows are handcrafted, and have a touch of tradition and quality. They look very traditional. The arrows are pre-fletched with red turkey feathers, and with cutting nocks and fixed glue-on field points installed. The feathers and nocks are tied off with silk thread. The overall length is approximately 31.89" from nock groove to the point end. They are fully finished and ready to shoot.”
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

matt61

Re: BEWARE; Cheap Chinese Made Bamboo Arrows.

#2 Post by matt61 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:12 pm

Hi Daryl
Had a very similar incident when buying Chinese made carbon arrows to be used with my ABA clubs hire bows for visitors.
Saw these carbon arrows on Ebay and they were advertised as being 500 spine and asked the seller
if they could supply arrows of 600 spine as we had 20lb hire recurves, seller said no only 500 spine were available. I bought a dozen of
each color, red, green and blue feathers and matching color wraps.
When they arrived they looked great, but were soft spined as hell. A club member had a spine jig and tested
them, they varied in spine from 800 to 900 spine.
I understand now that the Chinese seller had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for 600 spine arrows.

I have shot a Chinese bamboo arrow once, it was given to me to try by Mike Dy and I shot it with my 54# pound recurve at the practice butts at a Ballarat Bowhunters Trad shoot
at about 30 meters and saw it go over the practice butts by about 50 feet and it was still going upwards, never saw it again, it just launched like a space ship. :surprised:
Matt