new limbs on a broken one piece recurve

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

new limbs on a broken one piece recurve

#1 Post by clinton miller » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:48 pm

I have a one piece recurve similar to a martin mamba that has a top limb delamination failure. The fades are intact.
Just wondering if anyone here could remove the limbs and rebuild it? The bow was my old man's and has some sentimental value so it would be good to get it working again.
Last edited by clinton miller on Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

clinton miller

Re: new limbs on a broken one piece recurve

#2 Post by clinton miller » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:49 pm

actually the bow in my avatar
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:17 pm

Hi Clinton,

Were you thinking of salvaging the laminations and then have them re glued to the riser or just saving the riser and having new laminations including the glass glued to it.

A bow form would need to be made to complete the task. Overall the refurbishing would be an expensive exercise being labour intensive.

Alternatively repair the de lamination and use the bow as a display piece.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

clinton miller

#4 Post by clinton miller » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:57 am

The intention was to completely remove the limbs from riser then install new limbs entirely.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi Clinton,

I do not know of any bowyers who would be interested in re building the bow.

It is something you could do if you are willing to do the research, put in lots of time and spend a fair amount of money.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Kendaric

#6 Post by Kendaric » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:41 pm

Perhaps save the riser, and turn it into a 3 piece bow with an alternative brand of limbs?

https://www.centreshot.co.uk/product/co ... ner-limbs/ (for illustration purposes only).

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:02 pm

Unless thickened the fadeouts may be too thin to support the limbs at full draw particularly with heavier draw weights.

There appears to be sufficient thickness to accommodate threaded inserts and possibly the alignment pins.

The takedown limb wedges would essentially lengthen the riser and probably the overall length of the bow. Angle of the existing fadeouts would also affect the geometry of the bow.
Riser Comp.jpg
Riser Comp.jpg (64.45 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

clinglish

#8 Post by clinglish » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:40 pm

I am following this as my Fox "Maverick" suffered a similar fate and I have dreams of resurrecting her into a take-down with longbow limbs. At the point I wanted to cut the existing limbs off the riser matches the take-down recurves from the same Bowyer
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

missingdna

#9 Post by missingdna » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:29 pm

whats the stats on the bow?

clinton miller

#10 Post by clinton miller » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:20 am

58", 55#@28"