Blackheart Sassafras

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Blackheart Sassafras

#1 Post by greybeard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:14 pm

Recently I was given some milled boards of Blackheart Sassafras and not having experience with this timber as a bow wood I needed to find its mechanical properties.
Sassafras.jpg
Sassafras.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 7400 times
The Sassafras compares reasonably well to Pacific Yew and hopefully will support a pole bamboo back. I also have some thin strips that could be used under clear glass.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

yeoman

Re: Blackheart Sassafras

#2 Post by yeoman » Tue May 14, 2024 10:08 am

Hi Greybeard,

I suspect that between two bows made to the same dimensions, one from each wood, we could expect:
- Sassafras would be the higher draw weight
- But it would take more set

Would be super interesting to do a mechanical bend test to see how its working strain compares to yew.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Blackheart Sassafras

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun May 19, 2024 2:29 pm

Dave,
I used the blackheart sassafras for the siyahs on Asiatic static bows and ran a batch of laminations to use under clear glass.
4 Static Tip R H S.jpg
4 Static Tip R H S.jpg (33.4 KiB) Viewed 20 times
Blackheart-Sassafras.jpg
Blackheart-Sassafras.jpg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 20 times
I have a length of sassafras that has no fungus stain so I will make a short [46”] short draw North American Indian style bow and back it with an off cut strip of clear glass which is 46” x 2” .040.
California Bows.jpg
California Bows.jpg (50.21 KiB) Viewed 20 times
From Tasmanian Timbers,
“Finishing to a grey and golden tone, golden sassafras is particularly attractive as a veneer or as a solid timber with knots providing figure. If the tree is infected with a staining fungus it produces Blackheart sassafras. Blackheart is a timber with distinctive dark brown, black, and even green streaks running through the wood. Blackheart is highly prized for decorative work and bowl turning as no two pieces are ever the same.”
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....