Finished up a giant killer....

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

flyonline

Finished up a giant killer....

#1 Post by flyonline » Sat May 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Made up a bow for my 5yo old daughter today from a new timber for me, a local wattle that goes by 'bloodwood'. I can't find any species specific name as yet, which isn't that helpful as there are plenty of other 'bloodwoods' here in Oz. The outer white sapwood comes off easily with a draw knife and the heartwood feels about the same density of cypress - without all those horrible knots! It appears to grow in good lengths of knot free and without major twists etc. that the Eucalypts seem to love. It has a nice reddish/sandy tinge in smaller specimens which darkens as it gets bigger/older.

IMG_2587.JPG
IMG_2587.JPG (90.79 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
IMG_2586.JPG
IMG_2586.JPG (90.28 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
IMG_2585.JPG
IMG_2585.JPG (92.25 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
Specs:
36"
15lb @ 12"
Venetian Cord String
'Bloodwood' Selfbow

A slight hinge in the right limb and it's taken a bit of set, but that might have been me pulling too hard to see if it would break/perform.

Couldn't stop laughing how quick it shot a kids arrow (poplar dowel with foam point). Just need to make up some nocking points on the string, and work out something for a shelf - she can't quite get the hang of shooting off the knuckle yet. I was seriously impressed with how well it worked, so making a fullsize from this timber has jumped the build queue. I've got a couple of flatish pieces that I might try a Holmegaard/Andaman from.

Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Finished up a giant killer....

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Looks great Steve and I'm sure your daughter will just love shooting it with Dad.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm

Well done Steve, it will be interesting to see how the timber holds up in a full size bow. :Bow
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

flyonline

#4 Post by flyonline » Sun May 17, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks Gents. Actually this is my 3rd attempt at a kids bow, the other two I blew up from rushing so this time I actually slowed down and shaped/tillered it like a full size and it paid off.

Have some leave coming up soon, so hopefully will get a bow or two shaped and shooting at least :Bow

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#5 Post by Outbackdad » Sun May 17, 2020 10:00 am

Well done.
Waiting to see the next one.

Eddie

flyonline

#6 Post by flyonline » Sat May 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Thanks Eddie, me too!

Thanks to a work collegue I've positively ID this tree as a Lightwood/Hickory Wattle (acacia implexa. Herein lies the reason using common names can be so confusing: Mountain Hickory Wattle is the common name for a couple of other species (including a. implexa depending on source), there is more than one Blackwood etc. etc.

Interestingly it has very a similar density and hardness to "true" hickory, (0.08 and 8,300N vs .083 and 9,500N for hickory) according to wood-database.com

IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG (223.11 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

IMG_2597.JPG
IMG_2597.JPG (253.86 KiB) Viewed 4184 times