Black Hunter Longbow on Ebay

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Black Hunter Longbow on Ebay

#1 Post by matt61 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi all
Have been looking at a cheap ($135.00) Chinese made 60" takedown longbow on Ebay and
I noticed in the pictures advertising it that the limbs appear to be of different lengths.
Would that be an issue as it looks like one limb is about 3 to 4 inches longer than the other. :roll:
This is the Ebay advert number 163355656091.
Thanks
Matt

matt61

Re: Black Hunter Longbow on Ebay

#2 Post by matt61 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:50 am

No opinions or thoughts on the limb length difference. :?: :?: :?:
I have thought of the Japanese Yumi bows.
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:09 am

I hesitated replying to this as I can't resist saying no-one in their wildest dreams could think that bow was a longbow, surely! To me the limbs look even length and in the photos of the bow hanging by the pivot point of the handle it looks to be hanging at the half way point length wise. Photos at times can make things look different from what they actually are. I think it looks normal Matt.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#4 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:30 pm

Must say they look like they are even length to me.

Not sure the quality but my guess (unsubstantiated) is that if you aren't going to overdraw it you'll probably get some decent service out of it.

Still, probably best not to get too attached to it :lol:

Cheers

Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

matt61

#5 Post by matt61 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks for the replies, as for calling it a longbow in the advert they call it an everything bow :lol:.
as they do in Chinese adverts because they think it looks impressive :roll: :roll: .
I shot with a guy at an ABA shoot a few weeks ago and he was shooting the recurve model which
uses the same riser and it looked pretty good and shot really well. Said he paid $195 for it delivered.
I have a short draw only 26 1/2 so should be safe there :wink: and thought of using it for shooting
carp, cheap clunker to chuck in the canoe :biggrin: and not worry to much about.
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:14 am

matt61 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 pm Thanks for the replies, as for calling it a longbow in the advert they call it an everything bow .
I noticed that. :)
matt61 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 pm I have a short draw only 26 1/2 so should be safe there and thought of using it for shooting
carp, cheap clunker to chuck in the canoe and not worry to much about.
I think it should do that job well.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#7 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Then I think you can't go wrong Matt. :smile:
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Jim

#8 Post by Jim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:49 pm

Hey Matt,

Did you end up getting one? I'd love to hear about how it's worked out for you.

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by greybeard » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am

I have just finished repairing the upper limb of a Black Duck hunter t/d recurve bow for a club member.
Limb Repair Mandarin Duck Recurve.JPG
Limb Repair Mandarin Duck Recurve.JPG (166.78 KiB) Viewed 7746 times
The de lamination occurred on the belly fade out. The bamboo lamination came away cleanly from the glass with just the odd bamboo fibre hanging loose.

It is unknown if the de lamination was caused by a partly dry glue join or contamination on one or both surfaces.

I will wait about 72 hours before I brace and shoot the bow.

Photos would suggest the same riser is used on their so called longbow.

Daryl.

http://archers-review.com/bow-reviews/m ... er-60-4028
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Jim

#10 Post by Jim » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:23 pm

Geeze Daryl that sounds like it could have been bad.

Probably a good warning for potential buyers!
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:20 pm

So far the repair has held up after loosing twenty or so arrows in my workshop. It will be interesting to see what happens after several hundred arrows.

To my surprise shooting the bow was a pleasant experience.

The riser, although smaller than most had good mass and sat comfortably in the hand. Being cut past centre the shelf/window had a hair rest /side plate installed. Archers paradox was non existent.

Rated at 40#@28” the bow handled the 450 grain wooden arrows with ease.

Using a relaxed grip the bow was stable on release, dead in the hand and had barely perceptible string resonance.

As for being thought of as an ‘entry level bow’ I believe this may be true as far as price is concerned but as for its shooting properties it would match bows around the $600.00 or more price range.

Would I buy one? Definitely yes, it may not be a show pony but it delivers the goods.
Black Duck Takedown Recurve.jpg
Black Duck Takedown Recurve.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
In hindsight I’ve got a feeling that the bow may have been mistreated, possibly bad stringing technique.

The video shows what I believe is a bad technique when using the step through method.

https://archery.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ ... ow-273447/

In the review below Pete Ward makes comment on products made in China.

http://peteward.com/2016Reviews/Bodnik2016/Hopi.HTML

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

woodie

#12 Post by woodie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:43 pm

There are a few of these bows at HVTA in longbow and recurve, they seem to shoot nice.
I have bought one to have a play and to see how it fares.
Woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

matt61

#13 Post by matt61 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:15 pm

They now are selling the longbow on Ebay for about $250.00 with a spare set of limbs.,
Matt

Matt Black

#14 Post by Matt Black » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:18 pm

I have a 45# black hunter recurve and love it! Don’t get me wrong im still chasing a bear grizzly but the black hunter will stay with me until it dies.
Central Queensland
45# Black hunter
Looking for Bear Grizzly or similar style bow.

Kendaric

#15 Post by Kendaric » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:20 am

greybeard wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:20 pm To my surprise shooting the bow was a pleasant experience.
Daryl.
I too found this bow very pleasant to shoot, and has nice lines (recurve version). It is marketed under a few different brands, but comes out of the same Chinese factory. Some great deals on ebay for this.

The draw curve poundage on my bow seems to feel like it flattens out as I get to full draw, making it pleasant to draw and could account for some of it's smoothness.

The riser material (compressed layered timber) is a funny one to deal with. It will suck up as much oil finish as you can give it, and will still produce an uneven finish. Varnish like finishes don't help either.

However it accepts a spirit based stain extremely well if you don't like the greenish grey colour. Finish off with a clear non-yellowing acrylic (White Knight spray can). Acrylic works.