POLE BAMBOO FROM BUNNINGS.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

POLE BAMBOO FROM BUNNINGS.

#1 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:02 pm

I needed some pole bamboo to back some heartwood yew which is not suitable for a selfbow.

Usually I go to Bamboo Australia when buying poles in bulk which is a 320km round trip and 3.5 to 4 hours of driving.

The pole purchased from Bunning’s was almost twice the price of Bamboo Australia but with the time and fuel cost savings I probably came out in front.

The image shows that the nodes are small and even on each side, with their spacing averaging 13 ½ to 14 inches.
Pole Compilation.jpg
Pole Compilation.jpg (118.55 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

Re: POLE BAMBOO FROM BUNNINGS.

#2 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Used boo from bunnings plenty of times with no fail. Keen to see this bow though Daryl!

yeoman

#3 Post by yeoman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:30 am

I pretty much exclusively use bamboo from Bunnings and only rarely have I had a failure of the bamboo. Perhaps 2-3 times over 100+ bows.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:08 pm

Colin and Dave,

I was not too concerned with the quality of the bamboo [works like Moso] just mentioning that the newly opened much larger Bunning’s store now stocked the larger diameter poles.

The two previously smaller stores carried the small diameter poles. Apparently the stores are individual franchises and as such determine what product range they stock.

This build is mainly to try to understand how yew heartwood works with scrapers and a minimum of sanding as I have never processed yew before.

I have a suitable dust mask similar to the one shown below but some styles make my bifocals fog up after a couple of minutes use.

Daryl.
Half Face Mask.jpg
Half Face Mask.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 3814 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....