bow for my boys

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

phil01

bow for my boys

#1 Post by phil01 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi all.I'm a noob when it comes to archery. I'm looking at getting a bow for my 12yo for xmas.I'd like it to be a good quality but don't want to spend too much until I can see how interested he is in it.Any suggestions? Are there good 2nd hand bows I can get my hands onto and what brands should I be looking for. Any help would be most appreciated
P.S. I also have an 8yo who will more than likely want to have a go

Regards Phil

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: bow for my boys

#2 Post by greybeard » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:51 am

Hi Phil, welcome to Ozbow.

Depending on your budget some of the one piece solid fibreglass bows are very durable and you don’t lose a great deal of money if the children lose interest in archery. One disadvantage is that the children tend to outgrow this type of bow fairly quickly.

A more suitable alternative may be to buy takedown recurve bows as the limbs can be upgraded as the child grows and the outgrown limbs can be passed down to the younger child.

https://bowevolution.com.au/products/ca ... ecurve-bow

John McDonald of AMSO, a sponsor of this site may be able to help you.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4927

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:51 am

there are some quite good recurves by various makers that are very cheap and have the advantage of being able to change limbs as needed if one buys a takedown John Mc Donald of AMSO 128 or Griffo's Trad arrows could set you up quite cheaply with a Samick or Cartel or similar for probably couple hundred , and they are very serviceable bows.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

TomMcDonald

#4 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 am

Mate, I just bought a Maddog Archery Pup for my 7 year old girl. It cost a total of $170 AUD including shipping from the US. It's a custom r/d longbow at 48" length. I chose a 24# @ 26" draw weight for her on the bowyer's advice. We also got to choose riser wood types, fibreglass limb colour and string colours. The bow also comes in 36" for the younger archer.

http://maddogarchery.com/

Check it out - very impressed and the price is great and lower than most stock standard bows coming out of China.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:21 pm

TomMcDonald wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 am
http://maddogarchery.com/

Check it out - very impressed and the price is great and lower than most stock standard bows coming out of China.
If the build quality is there these bows appear to be value for your money.

Re the write up on one of their bows and H.H.

"The Follower Extreme longbow…………………It's got all the good characteristic of the Hill Styled bows we're so familiar with, but not the hand shock we've had to tolerate.”

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Here's a basic video review I found on youtube - we ordered purple heart and pink action wood and black glass limbs for our daughter :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WtlgGH3p_A
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com