to bow quiver or not to bow quiver?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

B.Hill

to bow quiver or not to bow quiver?

#1 Post by B.Hill » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:56 am

Hi guys

I am looking at a bow quiver just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, I like the marksman quivers as they are Australian and the molded leather looks really well done,

I use a back quiver at the moment and always have but I am doing more hunting now and I have trouble carrying the gear that I want comfortably with the back quiver.

any suggestions appreciated

Cheers Bodie

clinglish

Re: to bow quiver or not to bow quiver?

#2 Post by clinglish » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am

I don't think that there is one quiver for all purposes, I use different quivers for different scenarios. Back quiver if chasing goats in light scrub, bow quiver in the thicker bush and side quiver on the range.
I haven't seen the Marksman quivers in person yet but I met Mark at the recent Shot show in Perth and after talking to him I realize that he has put a lot of time and research into his product and it is built to operate in real world environments. I will be getting Myself one from Santa
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Bear Foot Bowhunter

#3 Post by Bear Foot Bowhunter » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Its funny i just put a bow quiver on my bow i thought i wanted a lighter bow till i did it seams like a can hold an sight better with that bit more waight

Jim

#4 Post by Jim » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 am

Hey mate,

I reckon the best value bow quivers getting around are from Eagles Flight in the USA: https://www.eaglesflightarchery.com/

I've got one of their 4 arrow Navajos, its beautiful, grips well and is great value. They're slightly different to standard bow quivers because the arrows arent gripped in a straight line, its more of a semi-circle (look at the shape of their arrow grippers to understand what I'm saying). Downside is this means the arrows do project out a little further to the side of your bow. Upside is they don't project forward as much from your bow. In either case its a matter of about an inch, just a difference worth noting. I think including postage and dollar conversion ended up costing just under 100 aussie dollars. Their cheapest models are closer to $50.

I also just happened to see that Thunderhorn have 15% off all in stock quivers. Theyre also beautiful and have a normal linear arrow gripper. With the sale their price would be comparative to eagles flight. https://thunderhornmfg.com/

Hope it helps,

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

matt61

#5 Post by matt61 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:12 am

Hi Jim
I have used bow quivers for nearly twenty years and love them. I have a Selway Quick detatch for a recurve and a Thunderhorn which can be used for both recurve and longbow. Both of my bow quivers are six arrow models, you can always put less arrows in.
I would crawl thru the lignum tunnels poking my bow along in front of me and pop out the other side ready for action, can't do that with a back quiver.
Matt

B.Hill

#6 Post by B.Hill » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm

hi guys I bought the bullet and bought a six arrow Marksman Quiver, love it Australian made and sits on my longbow great, don't find its too heavy even with six arrows wish id done it sooner.

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi mate glad to see you bought Australian made.
I really find it hard to understand guys pushing the foreign made product when we have great artisans here. Cheers

Jim

#8 Post by Jim » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi Ian,

I've never used a Marksman quiver although they have always looked great. I'm just recommending what I've used, which happen to be made by hard working, decent folks in the US. They're also great value.

I think the Marksman is probably a great enough product with a great enough reputation to withstand the competetive onslaught brought on by my humble recommendation :wink:

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby