I want to build my first bow, lots of questions..

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

HPAL

I want to build my first bow, lots of questions..

#1 Post by HPAL » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been interested in archery for years and generally just dabbled with a recurve I've been handed down. Every now and again I get it out and get keen again to build a bow, I like building things just as much as using them. But I don't know where to start. I've got and am reading the Traditional Bowyers Bible vol1 and lots of internet reading, but there are so many styles and ways of building that I can't narrow down enough to give me the confidence to kick the project off. I originally cut up some spotted gum staves which are now seasoned with the intention of making a selfbow, but I'm thinking now something laminated or maybe a simple bamboo board bow. I like the idea of a flat bow or flat laid longbow like Ausbow or Norseman would make, something more traditional than a recurve but not as bare bones as a really traditional longbow. I've got access to things like sander, bandsaw, thicknesser and hand tools including drawknife and spokeshaveses etc. The thing is I 'm keen but just don't know where to start and haven't got time to make all the mistakes, I want it to work first time even if that sounds unrealistic.

Should I buy The Design and Construction of Composite Long (Flat) Bows by John Clark and have a read? This seems the style I'm going for.
Maybe a spotted gum riser and belly with a bamboo veneer over the back and then tiller it to suit?
If I went for maybe a simple glass backed flat bow how do I get the shape and draw weight in the ballpark?

I'm going to say I'm after maybe a 30# bow, I'm not overly muscular and the recurve I use is only 25# but it's probably a little light for me, I wouldn't go over 35# at this stage probably. If it helps I'm a 34yo male, Hunter Valley NSW.

Sorry for the very broad questions at this early stage.

Cheers
Hayden

gazza

Re: I want to build my first bow, lots of questions..

#2 Post by gazza » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:38 pm

hi hayden ,its great to see people getting interested in bow making ,the whole process of wood to bow is a very rewarding experience .when you shoot an arrow and hit what you are aiming at with a bow you made yourself, well it doesnt get any better than that. there are 100 things you can do wrong when bow making and you dont know till its too late i know i made all of them lol patience is the key, dont be in a hurry to scrape off that wood or be too eager to shoot that first arrow out of it i made 34 selfbows before i had one that lasted that was 10 years ago and i still have that bow. if you want to make a flat layed long bow that wold be the easiest way as you can use a length of steel or timber beam as your form.there are bowmakers down your way see if you can get any help from them ,cheers mate gazza.
The older i get the better i was

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi Hayden, welcome to Ozbow.

To get the ball rolling, below are links to some of the non glass bows that I have made. Having power tools will make the task easier.

There are many ways to make bows, learning mainly by trial and error and you find what works for you.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13037 [Bamboo/Brigalow flat bow]

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12874 [Bamboo backed gum longbow]

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14522 [Bamboo/rock maple curved tips]

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=15152 [Austromyrtus Bidwillii Mollegabet]

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=15392 [Degame Danish Mog / Hol flat bow]

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=15105 [Bamboo and Osage Ozito]

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14895 [Bamboo and hickory curved tips]

By searching the traditional craft posts you can find out what other bowyers are doing.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

HPAL

#4 Post by HPAL » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks for the reply Gaz and Daryl,

Daryl those links are great thanks! I like the look of the gum and bamboo bow and the bamboo/brigalow flat bow, they'd be right up my alley for a first bow I reckon. Just have to get my blacksmith mate to help me make a good drawknife now. Once I make an all timber bow then a flat glass backed one might be good using steel or timber as a form like Gaz suggests, the challenge for me would be making the tapered laminations or can I just do parallel lams and maybe taper the width in to the ends?
Hopefully I can get the ball rolling some time soon, it's so hard to find the time and I've got way more hobbies than time to do them, geez I need to win the lotto and retire!

Cheers guys

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Hayden,

Drawknives are an excellent tool for debarking and working down to a grow ring of a lot of the northern hemisphere type timbers that have distinctive growth rings. Most, if not all of the Australian hardwoods do not exhibit these distinctive growth rings.

If using milled boards a spoke shave is an excellent tool for working the stave once it has been sawn from the board.

The spoke shave is also an excellent tool for removing and flattening the inner pith from pole bamboo.
The attachment Spokeshave On Bamboo Pith.jpg is no longer available
The following link and attached Word document give an overview on how I make bamboo / wood core bow.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5341

Spokeshave On Bamboo Pith.jpg
Spokeshave On Bamboo Pith.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Some may disagree with me but with the right materials, tools and recipe laminated glass / wood bows are easier to make than selfbows and bamboo backed bows.

Admittedly processing the raw materials for glass laminated bows can be time consuming.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Hayden,

Word document.
Constructing Laminated Bamboo Bows.doc
(27 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

HPAL

#7 Post by HPAL » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks mate awesome info!!